Member Section > Defense and Tactics

Shooting lefty from the driver's seat

(1/3) > >>

crashrescue:
New member and southpaw.  1911 guy

Lefty question. A bad guy approaching the driver's side of a car will (probably, though I could be wrong) try and get into the blind spot of the mirror, at your 7 to 8 o'clock position.  Being left handed, what's my best reaction, assuming I can't move the vehicle and a defensive shot is the solution?  Or do I just practice that shot right handed?

I've done a little research (Pincus etc.) and haven't been convinced of a solution for this very specific problem.

tombogan03884:
Either learn to use your right hand or pre pay a grave plot.
Only a total fool would consider shooting to the left rear, left handed.
In case you haven't noticed you don't bend that way.

crashrescue:
Thanks.  And you said that in such a nice way.

ha ha.

Marshal Halloway:

I'm ambidextrous so it's easy for me to be a smart-aleck about it..... but I won't....

We all have to train for every possible scenario and it's the same problem if you're a right handed shooter on the passenger side. In both those cases and if you're stuck, the option is to shoot with your weak hand or lean to the side to give room for a draw/presentation.

My wife and I practice this scenario from time to time simply by sitting in a chair and use target stand to simulate door and windows frames and of course the bad guy.

And of course, the question is.... in your vehicle..... how do you carry/transport the gun. Is it in the holster and easy accessible from the strong side... or do you have it accessible out of body.... in the console or placed under the steering wheel or otherwise easy accessible.

Always practice worst case scenario where you can't get out of the situation by simply driving away which of course is the best case scenario. Avoidance, avoidance, avoidance.....

tombogan03884:
Sorry, I'm not good at "nice".
I've got "blunt" down pretty good though.   ;D
Any one who's been on here from the old days will tell you, no one ever wonders what I mean.   ;D

Sponsor:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version