Flying Dragon Productions ( Michael Bane ) > Michael Bane on the Radio

Orphaned guns

(1/2) > >>

Obiwan:
I share your feelings about orphaned guns. You mentioned the Star PD. I had one and loved it. I sold it because the lack of availability of spare parts and the inability to put an ambi safety on it (necessary as I'm left handed). Such is why I now only buy guns made by main line manufacturers even though some obscure guns look neat.

Jim Kennedy-ar154me:
There is a fine line between today's orphaned guns and tomorrow's collector prize.

alfsauve:
My Colt 1911 Mk IV is betwixt and between when it comes to the barrel bushing.  It will take most all other 3rd party parts but that.  I like that bushing, evidently I'm one of the few and it's good thing I don't shoot it a whole lot so maybe it'll last.  Of course it will never be a collectable because I had the slide cut to accept current model rear sights.

bulldog75:
Obiwan I am a fellow southpaw. Being a lefty has made me pick only a certain type of gun and all others are training tools. I will train with firearms that are not lefty friendly and understand their capabilities. Clint Smith advised to learn a 3 types of semi handguns that will cover a large portion of guns, Remington and Mossberg pumps, ARs and AK platforms. I hate all handguns that have safeties on the upper slide. I do not use a slide release and that is why I run the top of the gun to do mag changes. I know people hate glocks but they are lefty friendly and have available holsters for left handed people that are not the price of a small countries defense budget. 

Obiwan:
Bulldog:

I appreciate your thoughts. Of all the handguns that I have only two have manual safeties. Fortunately the handguns issued to me as a LEO were lefty friendly. Beretta 96D, and HK P2000 LEM. My own EDC guns are lefty friendly. I've been dealing with being a shooter/lefty for over 60 years and it really doesn't concern me much as I just naturally look for lefty friendly handguns without over thinking it. I use my left hand middle finger for magazine ejection and the slingshot method to chamber a round. Been doing that for decades. I've also developed revolver techniques.
Alfsuave:
I also have a MK IV. I've never been concerned with the collet bushing. It works for me. I've seen stories of one of the fingers breaking off but have never seen it personally. I don't shoot it much but it's nice to know that I have it - Just in case. The only mod is an ambi safety and a Harts recoil reducer. The Harts doesn't leak (mercury filled) but I monitor it.

Sponsor:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version