Author Topic: Well, they went and did it  (Read 4056 times)

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 82
Well, they went and did it
« on: January 03, 2010, 07:01:52 AM »
Some years ago, when I was toying with getting into CAS and had joined SASS, I decided I would use oddball firearms, things that most people would not use. To that end, I had a Navy Arms Schofield in .45Colt with a 7-1/2" barrel, and was looking for a rifle. Being a big fan of the RCMP, I decided I would get a musket style 1876 Winchester carbine as used by the Mounties (at that time called the North West Mounted Police - the "Royal" designation not being added until later). Only no one had one, other than the '94 hacked into a commemorative in .30-30.

I pinged a couple of the big SASS manufacturers, including Cimarron, about making an 1876 musket carbine, but of course never heard anything back. Over the years, I went a different way and gave up CAS. Last night, I almost fell off my chair when reading True West's Best of the West issue and I saw this:

This is available from Cimarron (http://cimarron-firearms.com/RepeatingRifles/1876Carbine.htm#) in .45-60 and .45-75 only (a bit overpowered for CAS I think), and retails for $1600 (!!!!!!!!!!). The NWMP version is stamped with markings as were the original carbines, and the Crossfire is case hardened. $1600 but damn, they look nice!

My birthday is in August . . . .  ::)
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
Re: Well, they went and did it
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 07:16:04 AM »
They are building some beautiful replica lever actions today. The color case hardening on some of them look like they came straight from Doug Turnbull's shop.  Bill T.

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 11:35:30 AM »
BUTT UGLY....but interesting.

JMHO

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

Walter45Auto

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 12:52:25 AM »
Saw some old ones like those in a museum a couple times.

.45-60 and .45-75? Where the hell would you find ammo??? Why not .45-70?
"If You seek to do me harm, I don't care about your past." - Michael Bane

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 82
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 05:10:19 AM »
Saw some old ones like those in a museum a couple times.

.45-60 and .45-75? Where the hell would you find ammo??? Why not .45-70?

I checked after posting, and OMG! $5 a round for .45-75? ? ? ? ? The brass for reloading is $3 per round. Kind of a deal breaker for me. That and the $1600 price tag. And my unemployment.  ::)  :P

Yo answer your question, I'm guessing it is for historical accuracy, but my copy of The Arms of the RCMP is packed away somewhere and not available at the moment.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 12:11:06 AM »

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 05:18:33 AM »
I checked after posting, and OMG! $5 a round for .45-75? ? ? ? ? The brass for reloading is $3 per round. Kind of a deal breaker for me. That and the $1600 price tag. And my unemployment.  ::)  :P

Yo answer your question, I'm guessing it is for historical accuracy, but my copy of The Arms of the RCMP is packed away somewhere and not available at the moment.
Maybe its why they carried swords and lances. Yikes!
FQ13 Who now sees that the RCMP tent pegging displays were motivated by budget cuts.

bushpilot267

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 04:53:28 PM »
These are tough weapons and, when not shooting, make a good club.

I shoot 45/70 all the time and love it.  It only take one shot for most critters.

Cabelas has ammo that will allow your knot head kid to stay in college.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk