Author Topic: Shooting Gallery - Secrets of the Combat Shotgun  (Read 13384 times)

Marshal Halloway

• Forum Administrator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 28
Shooting Gallery - Secrets of the Combat Shotgun
« on: August 13, 2007, 05:12:25 PM »

BEST OF SHOOTING GALLERY
Episode #68 - Season 5
Secrets of the Combat Shotgun
Rerun Air time: 08/14-2007
NEW INTRO by Michael Bane

Shotguns have always been awesome police and civilian defense weapons, and GUNSITE’s combat shotgun training sets the standard as the best in the world. Plus, the latest advances in police shotguns and ammo!

Watch the trailer!

Reference links:
http://gunsite.com/
http://gunsite.com/courses/shotgun.html

dhendricks

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Shooting Gallery - Secrets of the Combat Shotgun
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 09:18:00 PM »
During the Video, they talked about reduced recoil 12 gauge 00 buckshot.  Who was the manufacturer?

Echo_Four

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 09:28:42 PM »
A friend of mine and I had a disagreement during the episode tonight. What kind of shotgun was shown?

DonWorsham

• MWAG
  • Top Forum Member
  • I feel more like I do now than I ever did
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 10:00:50 PM »
During the Video, they talked about reduced recoil 12 gauge 00 buckshot.  Who was the manufacturer?

Remington.
Don Worsham
Varied Movements Performed Intensely

DonWorsham

• MWAG
  • Top Forum Member
  • I feel more like I do now than I ever did
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2007, 10:02:06 PM »
A friend of mine and I had a disagreement during the episode tonight. What kind of shotgun was shown?

Remington 870.
Don Worsham
Varied Movements Performed Intensely

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 12:57:25 AM »

MJS

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2007, 06:42:10 AM »
 Hello and good morning LOVE the show. How about a little more information about the shotgun that was shown with the pistol grip and collapsible stock like the brand of the receiver, barrel and the stock maker.
  Thanks Matt

GlockMeister

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2007, 12:20:49 AM »
Hello fellow shooters and gun enthusiasts alike. I have a couple questions I'm sure someone will gladly answer for me.
I 2, watched the Combat Shotgun episode. I recently converted my Mossberg Model 500 12ga. shotgun to tactical/combat shotgun and since I doubt I''ll ever go hunting with it again, and if I decide or again have the chance 2, I still have all the original parts. Anyhow, I removed the wooden stock and the 28" vent ribbed Select-A-Choke barrel and put a 6-position ATI stock with pistol grip and an 18 1/2"  cylinder bore choked, w/bead front sight, security barrel Mossberg #90015.

My first question is this, is it advisable to shoot slugs through this barrel? Could it cause any problems with the barrel?  In the description of the barrel it says nothing about ammunition, other then use 2 3/4" or 3" shells. I'm asking this because I have never shot a slug, through a rifled or non-rifled barrel. I do know that since it isn't a rifled barrel, the accuracy won't exactly be there; I left the original stock wooden forearm on it and I'd like to know what anyone would recommend replacing that with? I do know I do not like the pistol grip style forearm I've seen out there. I've seen a black plastic style forearm with a strap, I believe it was called a combat forearm, not exactly sure. I've considered this but I'm concerned with it because I've never seen one, to feel the grip of or on one nor have I ever used one so I'm unsure of how slippery, if at all, it can get if it were to get wet or be used in the rain; so gimme your thoughts and opinions on this style forearm and if you have any other suggestions on a forearm, let me know what they are also please?
Or should I just leave the forearm as it is? I only thought of changing it also for one, to not only match the rear stock ATI 6 pos. stock but to preserve the condition of the original stock wooden forearm so that if or when I decide to sell it or put it back to original, it won't be all tore up.

My last question regarding the episode is, I'd noticed that most if not all of the shotguns used by the students at Gunsite, besides being Remington 870s', also appeared to all have rifled barrels on them. Now I know rifled barrels greatly increase the accuracy of a slug, (obviously) but does it also make for a more accurate buck or bird shot pattern/s also?

Now, I went with the security barrel mainly because I figured for home defense there'd be far less chance or risk of buck or bird shot going through walls than with a slug (again, obviously). I also figured that if, God forbid, I have to use it for "HOME" defense, I wouldn't be following the threat outside and leave the safety and protection of the home and/or leave family unprotected, if they were present during the initial threat, and chase the threat and have the need for a slug. I mean lets face it, a slug is a great way to stop a threat, whether that threat is 5 ft. or 45 ft. away.  I just felt/feel the barrel choice I made was/is the best for me. Besides, I can always get a rifled slug barrel if need be.

So please, give me your thoughts and or opinions and Thank you in advance for same...............GlockMeister
I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6!

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2007, 09:10:30 PM »
I am a long time shotgun shooter and competitor, the shotgun as we know it today is nearly perfect, as it comes from the box, it is capable of hitting small things at high speed at different angles of flight, or while running away, what could be wrong about the design. Yes we can make it fit the situation a little better, in the home a shorter barrel and or stock could be more usable, illuminated sights could help, a light source, etc... But to answer your question, a rifled barrel is not meant for shot, just slugs, it will spin the shot and make it spread very very rapidly. An improved or cylinder bore choke will work just fine. My shotgun teacher demonstrated and I have repeated his findings, a cylinder bore shotgun with slugs is capable of hitting a standard piece of notebook paper 11.5"x 8" at 50 yards with a bead sight. Different sighting systems may be better in a given situation, but I will say this with perspectives from both sides, a bead sight is the most perfect sight ever invented for point shooting and very quick acquisition with a smoothbore. Millions of birdshooters are not wrong. Things that work on a defense shotgun, good stock fit, extended magazine capacity, highly visible bead sight, with or without tritium inserts,  large safety release, side saddles for extra rounds, a good lighting system is very good also, surefire forend or attached flashlight. And of course, lots of training and practice, with slugs you will usually find they do not shoot to exactly point of aim, at 50 yards but ok, for a torso shot. Shoot it first and find out. Inside  of 25 yards you will probably find out it is dead on.

" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

BKS

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2007, 08:40:02 AM »
 hello everyone, this is my first post here. I have a question about something I saw on that episode also. The shotgun used by one of the instructors had a covered shell holder on the rear stock. I would like some info on that shell carrier if possible. 

Topmaul

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2008, 08:21:12 PM »
Guess I will be a lone voice, the tube fed shotgun is obsilite get a Saiga, maybe you could have those two guys that don't ever agree on anything to compare the Saiga 12 with the Remington 870 both set up for tactical applications to do a segment?

The Saiga is a weapon of war converted to civilian use, the 870 is a sporting gun modified for tactical applications.

Or is it a matter of sponsorship?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=sWmMNHSVR4I
Hokie brand loyalties are no match for a Saiga 12 at your side kid!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk