Author Topic: CMP Update  (Read 5147 times)

kilopaparomeo

• Top Forum Member
  • My own private purgatory...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: CMP Update
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2010, 09:33:51 AM »
Plus, if you look at the machining and parts on a Garand, they are quite the little mousetrap inside.  I'd be surprised if someone could get one up in production for less than $1500.

What did the Springfield repros go for recently?  They sold them for about 5 years then stopped because of low sales.
NRA Endowment Life Member
SAF Life Member
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
Ultima Ratio Civis - "The last method of a citizen"

GASPASSERDELUXE

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2010, 09:55:39 AM »
I BELEIVE THEY WERE ABOUT $1100 AND THAT WAS AT LEAST 2 YEARS AGO.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2010, 12:29:35 PM »
The pattens on the design expired years back... They are only good for 20 years.

So thats not too much of a prob.

The tooling and getting it to work with modern comm'l 30.06 ammo is the hard part.

The M1 was designed to shoot 1 load.  If you put a standard 30.06 round in the gun you will bend/break the opt rod.
Is that true? Because if it is, my desire for one just vanished. One of the virtues of the M1 is that next to 30/30, 30-06 is about the most common rifle caliber out there. Anyone have info on this point?
FQ13

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2010, 12:47:47 PM »
Is that true? Because if it is, my desire for one just vanished. One of the virtues of the M1 is that next to 30/30, 30-06 is about the most common rifle caliber out there. Anyone have info on this point?
FQ13

I've read and been told that you can shoot mostly any commercial ammo in a Garrand as long as you stick to 150 grain bullets, at the velocities that it was designed for. Some heavier bullets can be used, but bullets above 170 grains can cause excess pressure and damage the gun unless reloaded with particular types of powders.

Hornady does make a 168 grain match bullet that is made especially for use in the M1 Garrand.

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=110098
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

kilopaparomeo

• Top Forum Member
  • My own private purgatory...
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2010, 01:15:25 PM »
M2 Ball is specifically mated to Garands...the pressure curve is correct for the rifles gas system.  If you use most modern 30-06 cartridges,  you can bend the op rod.  Very expensive.

Schuster makes an adjustable gas plug however (Brownells, Midway) for about $35 that takes care of this problem.
NRA Endowment Life Member
SAF Life Member
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
Ultima Ratio Civis - "The last method of a citizen"

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 12:44:26 AM »

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2010, 01:25:12 PM »
Well, there's one dream rifle off the list. (Sigh.). Its not that I wouldn't love one, just that I don't reload and won't own a gun that doesn't use common and cheap ammo. Its too bad, and another argument for someone producing a good repro, but I guess I'll have to return my "dream rifle" fantasies back to the M1A. :-\
FQ13 who thanks the board for helping me avoid a costly mistake. Unless of course that rod works as advertised, in which case, anyone got a deal on clips? ;D

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2010, 01:28:50 PM »
Another discussion with varying views here:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=152322

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2010, 06:23:58 PM »
I think the SA repos could handle modern ammo.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

tombogan03884

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2010, 10:21:01 PM »

I think the SA repos could handle modern ammo.

Why am I not surprised to be chastising you ?
Jeez, Do you actually read the posts you reply to ?

M2 Ball is specifically mated to Garands...the pressure curve is correct for the rifles gas system.  If you use most modern 30-06 cartridges,  you can bend the op rod.  Very expensive.

[size=30pt]Schuster makes an adjustable gas plug however (Brownells, Midway) for about $35 that takes care of this problem.[/size]
[/glow]

Can you hear me now  ;D

Had to delete the FQ quote, I missed the bit at the end   ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk