Author Topic: Grog and now Bumbo  (Read 11709 times)

wtr100

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Grog and now Bumbo
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2010, 08:37:08 AM »
Ok a friend came over and schooled me on an even more tastyerester rum drink

Bumbo - I guess sailors drank grog - Pirates drank bumbo

2 oz  Rum
1 oz Water
0.5 oz Lime Juice
2 tsp Brown Sugar
shake Nutmeg
shake Cinnamon

He said George Washington used to use this stuff when running for office - I googled it and found

To the political pirates of colonial America, the process of giving handouts in exchange for votes was known as “swilling the planters with bumbo”.  Sometimes, the bumbo was literally bumbo.  Such was the case in 1758, when one enterprising candidate running for the Virginia House of Burgesses treated 391 voters to 160 gallons of rum — or 6.5 cups per person. The candidate’s name was George Washington.

here's to President Washington!

Have your musket clean as a whistle, hatchet scoured, 60 rounds powder and ball and be ready to march at a minute's warning.

Timothy

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2010, 04:05:13 PM »
Funny.

Bars are SUPPOSED to closed on election days!

;D ;D

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2010, 04:24:32 AM »
I owned (briefly) one of the few $1200 bottles of rum in America. It turns out that Old George was not only a patriot, but a distiller and a purveyor of the demons rum and whiskey.  Anyway, the Smthsonian, in a fundraiser for maintainence for Mt. Vernon, let a few liquor companies use the General's distilling tools to make some high end hootch to be auctioned off. A buddy worked for Cruzan rum, who used 5 year old single barrel anejo. He bid on two cases of his own stuff and won, and I got a bottle. He had no idea it would go for that much, and got in a bit of trouble with his boss trying to expense it (24 bottles times $1200 per bottle????? ;D). Still, it was wonderful. It was like fine cognac and I felt the urge to wear a tricorn hat while drinking it. ;) If George was giving this stuff out on election day? Its no wonder he won two terms.
FQ13 who feels more patriotic for having dunk the stuff. 8)

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
Re: Grog
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2010, 01:51:05 PM »
While there is no empirical evidence that I have ever actually practiced temperance, I would sound a cautionary note about Pusser's:  Yes, it is delicious, but it has a very high residual sugar content which will lend itself to installing pounding hangovers.  ???

Unlike nearly ever other adult beverage, I would encourage moderation in the application of Pusser's. ;)

Pusser's.....miss it...they stopped selling it in Ohio State Liquor stores...need to arrange a trip to KY....
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2011, 09:18:07 AM »
Since this thread has been somewhat artificially revived, I thought I'd take the opportunity to post a recipe to improve the taste of Coffee.

In a coffee cup of your preferred size, put:

1 tsp sugar.  I use brown sugar.   Amount of sugar should be adjusted to taste and cup size.
enough Pussars light rum to cover and dissolve the sugar.  Pussars dark can be used, but I save it for unadulterated drinking.
coffee to fill the cup to near the brim.

Stir to mix.

Now, using a spoon positioned so you can pour Half&Half or Heavy Cream or Whipping Cream over the back of the spoon so it does not mix with the coffee, but floats upon the top.

The cup is handled gently to keep the cream on top and it is sipped so a measure of the cream and coffee/rum/sugar mix is taken together.

Delightful and a intriguing beverage to prepare and share with a date who has a taste for rum and coffee.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 11:41:15 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk