Author Topic: Tactical Bolt Action - Mossberg  (Read 103979 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
Tactical Bolt Action - Mossberg
« on: May 13, 2011, 05:43:42 AM »
This was announced on DRTV news the other day and I like it.

The biggest beef I have with Ruger Gunsite Scout is the magazine.  It's really the biggest advancement in their M77 offering.  The Scout "concept" they've offered for over 4 years at least.  So there's no reason they could not have made M14 mags work.  Sure they would have to change the M77 design a little, but there were reworking it anyway.   So here' Mossberg's announcing a .223 that uses.................(wait for it)................MilSpec AR-15 mags in a bolt action!     Cool.....

North Haven, CT - O.F. Mossberg & Sons, Inc. announces a new line of dedicated varmint and predator bolt-action rifles, the MVP (Mossberg Varmint Predator) Series, based on the overwhelming success of the Mossberg 4x4™ centerfire rifle. The engineers at Mossberg combined this classic bolt-action platform with the features most highly-desired by dedicated varmint and predator hunters and long-range competitive shooters in this innovative and well-designed series. Notably-setting this family of rifles apart from the competition is its unique, patent-pending bolt design which allows MVP Series rifles to accept and reliably feed from AR-15 style magazines; a breakthrough innovation in bolt-action platforms!
[emphasis mine]

Full Story: http://www.theoutdoorwire.com/story/130466822358sf7gbbu2h

Mossberg get's it.   It's the large capacity, detachable box mag that makes this unique.  And the fact that it uses commonly available mags from AR15 is like a marketing 1-2 punch.   Now granted they are only offering the .223, but like Ruger M77, the Mossberg 4x4 also comes in medium (.308 based) and long (.30-06 based) configurations.   It shouldn't be hard to make this a really super offering by a)  Offering a full range of cartridges in both the .223 and the .308 actions.  b) The .308 based caliber should use M14 magazines.   And c) offering some barrel option both in length and taper.    If they had a 20-22" heavy barrel in .260 Rem, my order would be placed today.

Armalite could jump in here as well by offering a bolt operated upper for their AR10 line.   Others have done it with .223 based ones.    I'd love to have this model in bolt action.   Doesn't it just look like a bolt action?

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

bulldog75

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
Re: Tactical Bolt Action - Mossberg
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 12:30:15 PM »
I have been looking for good bolt action rifle for awhile. I like the 4x4 and have thought of picking one up. It or another Marlin 336. I love lever actions. I carry a Colt M4 carbine here in the land of sand. Good rifle but not enough IMO to be a real man stopper. 45-70, 30 30, 30 06, and my .308 at home are real man stoppers. Looks like a good gun but I can not get my hands on one right now. Hopefully the local gunshop that I deal with will invite me to the range when I get back and let me test run one of them. Right now I am drooling over a double barreled stage coach shotgun for home defense. I have several pumps, 3 mossberg 500s, 2 870s.

If I drifted I am on hour 30 without sleep. Being a Platoon Sergeant is not what it is cracked up to be. I want to UCMJ three of my soldiers but 1sg will not let me hammer his pets. Have fun I get to go to sleep now I hope. 
Citizens sleep peacfully at night knowing that rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf - George Orwell

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 08:02:50 PM »
Some other options I'm considering.   Not M14 magazines, but Tikka does now offer an extended mag holding 5 rounds in the .308 case.    I have their T3 Lite in .338 Fed and it is an excellent shoot with an absolutely marvelous trigger.

First there's their new "Sporter" line

And then there's always the Varmint and Super Varmint line.

Will work for ammo

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 01:14:49 AM »
I have been looking for good bolt action rifle for awhile. I like the 4x4 and have thought of picking one up. It or another Marlin 336. I love lever actions. I carry a Colt M4 carbine here in the land of sand. Good rifle but not enough IMO to be a real man stopper. 45-70, 30 30, 30 06, and my .308 at home are real man stoppers. Looks like a good gun but I can not get my hands on one right now. Hopefully the local gunshop that I deal with will invite me to the range when I get back and let me test run one of them. Right now I am drooling over a double barreled stage coach shotgun for home defense. I have several pumps, 3 mossberg 500s, 2 870s.

If I drifted I am on hour 30 without sleep. Being a Platoon Sergeant is not what it is cracked up to be. I want to UCMJ three of my soldiers but 1sg will not let me hammer his pets. Have fun I get to go to sleep now I hope. 
If you want the stage coach look try Classic arms. Last time I checked their ammo prices they were offering a Stoeger 12ga SxS double hammer coach gun for right around $230.
FQ13

PS As far as the mossy, I'd look at it, but only in .308 with the M14 mags. I agree with the OP. Ruger cost themselves a lot of sales by using proprietary mags that are pricy and may or not be there in ten years, depending on how the rifle does..

ECVMatt

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 07:50:37 PM »
I hope Mossberg makes this rifle in a compact/truck style rifle. I think they would have a hit.

As for the Ruger, the mags are AICS and not a factory one-off design. They are readily available from multiple sources and I see more coming now that Ruger is using the design.

I tried to do the m-14 mag conversion on my Ruger Frontier and it did not work out that great. The mags had to be heavily modified and the feeding was difficult due to the heavy springs in the mags. I think Ruger picked a good mag system and the AICS mags feed very smoothly. I have both the 5 and 10 round mags.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 05:42:48 AM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 12:48:22 AM »
M- 14/M1A mags go for $70 each, not exactly a bargain. G-3 mags would be more reasonable at $10 each.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 03:52:55 PM »
M- 14/M1A mags go for $70 each, not exactly a bargain. G-3 mags would be more reasonable at $10 each.

[Sorry, for the late reply, I've been without Internet service for 4 days.]

Actually the most expensive M1A magazine at MidwayUSA is around $40.  With other going from $16 up.

http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/BrowseProducts.aspx?pageNum=1&tabId=4&categoryId=10281&categoryString=655***687***11341***12517***

AR-10 mags would be another choice.
Will work for ammo

ccd

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 10:13:30 PM »
The M14 mags were not going to work in any Ruger M77!!! If you will look at the pictures of the bolt on the MVP you will see that Mossberg had to add a "finger" on the bottom of the bolt that drops down below the level of the bolt body and  pushes the cartridge forward. When the bolt head gets to the feed ramp the finger rises up on the feed ramp until it returns to the bolt head/body. This is not a problem on a cartridge with the 5.56's rim diameter, but would be on the 7.62 x 51 as the bolt would have to be appreciably larger in diameter. Also this system would likely not be compatible with any CRF bolt, even though the Ruger 77 is a hybrid CRF.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk