Author Topic: My DPMS Sportical AR chambered in 7.62X39mm Russian...yes the AK round  (Read 15158 times)

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Let's see. $.04 difference versus tedium and hassel. Is it just me or does this seem like a no brainer? Hell, buy a few cases of the UAE stuff (at a little less than the $.30 per round pre loaded on stripper clips) and call it a day. If you like the reloading for the perfect round ala Solus its one thing. If its a chore, buy Mil surp in bulk and be done with it. Just my .02.
FQ13

blackwolfe

• A Simple Man
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
when I called DPMS last week the technical guy on the other end of the line said that they were shelving...err...back burner'ing ....their 7.62X39 items because of the mag availability issue.

which, of course, sucks!

anywhooo....I ran through some IDPA style field course rifle stages on Sunday with that rifle.  whoopss...let me back up a bit.... I went to a gunshow on Saturday, and I checked out steel cased ammo prices for .223 and 7.62X39 for a friend.  I even took pictures of the prices.  The ammo was going for right around $210 to $235 per 1,000.  so about 23.5 cents each.

I can get 147 grain .308 FMJ bullets, pull downs, originally meant for the military, for 11 cents each.  I have to figure in my powder and primer still, and then my time doing case prep...ugggh....

is reloading bottlenecked rifle cases really worth it?   ???

and of the 30 rounds of my .223 reloads I shot on Sunday.  I only recovered like 15 of them.  Of those 15, 4 of them had split case necks.

So it looks like annealing my cases is in order.... >:(

great...more work.

this is one way to do it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgD5D0Wzu-c

I think what might be going on is that from what I've heard and read is that C Products made a 7.62 magazine that worked very well compared to what else was available.  I believe that C products no longer exist as the same company.  Something about lawsuits, partner problems, loss of equipment to settle lawsuits, etc.  Not sure where evrything ended up but sounds like it became a real mess.   I think someone is still producing magazines that say C Products on them, but they may not be what they once were.  There were several threads on the arf15 forums about everthing going on.   I would venture to say that DPMS might have decided to wait out the magazine problem rather than risk shipping products with unreliable magazines.
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. "    Abraham Lincoln

Wolfe

tommy tornado

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
I was thinking about going the same way with an AR upper in 7.62, but then I started reading about 6.8 SPC.  Despite the ammo cost, way higher with 6.8, I decided to go that way for now.  However, looking at your set up has got me thinking again that a 7.62 X 39 upper might be a lot of fun.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
I was thinking about going the same way with an AR upper in 7.62, but then I started reading about 6.8 SPC.  Despite the ammo cost, way higher with 6.8, I decided to go that way for now.  However, looking at your set up has got me thinking again that a 7.62 X 39 upper might be a lot of fun.
I wish you well. Sort of like I do for every one who buys a 10mm. Hopefully, you'll help drive the price of ammo down because it is a sweet round. ;)
FQ13

Ranger Dave

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
A quick question. What are the differences between a 5.56 AR magazine and a 7.62x39 AR magazine? They both are going to be the same thickness and width. So I am thinking the only difference will be the follower(?) spring and the lips of the magazine. If that is the case how hard would it be to convert magazines.

Ranger Dave

Sponsor

Tyler Durden

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
You'd have to take a look at the 7.62X39 round side by side next to a .223 round.

The 7.62X39 is shorter, actually, but the main thing is how it tapers down.  It is fat at the headstamp area and skinny at the shoulders.  so when you get a bunch of them all lined up or stacked up against each other they want to form a semi-circle...or just some part of a circle.

Now, I haven't done it myself, but I am willing to give it a try.

They say if you get more than 10 of the 7.62X39 rounds into a normal AR15/.223 mag, all that stacking and tapered-ness makes the rounds jam or the follower tilt so much it doesn't push the rounds up to the top in order to get stripped off by the bolt.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk