Author Topic: Another question  (Read 3867 times)

fatbaldguy

• Top Forum Member
  • Friends, don't let friends, shop Wal-Mart
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Another question
« on: September 29, 2012, 07:34:55 AM »
While I'm waiting for the dew to dry so I can mow the lawn....School me here.....

If I buy a rifle chambered for .308 Winchester, it should easily chamber 7.62Nato easily.  But not necessarily the reverse?  Am I understanding this right?
“It will be of little avail to the people that the laws are made by men of their own choice if the laws be so voluminous that they cannot be read, or so incoherent that they cannot be understood.”

James Madison

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
Re: Another question
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 07:49:58 AM »
IIRC the 308 is slightly hotter.  I know the inside of the case and primer pocket are slighly diffrent.  I am not sure on the externals.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Timothy

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 07:50:48 AM »
Not an expert and most certainly you'll get another comment but I believe it's the opposite.  It's about headspace I think...

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2012, 12:39:41 PM »
Case capacity is the culprit here. Outside dimensions are basically the same, but the military brass is thicker in spots, thus reducing capacity and calling for different burn rates to achieve the same ballistics as commercial ammo. Some rifles may experience headspace issues, but not usually enough to fail to chamber a round. The problem comes from resultant pressure spikes.

It is generally considered safe to shoot both in sporting rifles chambered for .308, but not recommended to shoot commercial ammo in military rifles chambered for 7.62 x 51 due to the looser chamber dimensions and the "hotter" commercial loadings, and the potential for higher pressure from heavier bullets.

Some reading:

http://www.rangingthoughts.org/post/2011/09/07/308-Winchester-and-762x51-NATO-Are-The-Same-On-The-Outside-and-completely-interchangeable.aspx

http://www.ar10t.com/index.php?option=com_community&view=groups&task=viewdiscussion&groupid=4&topicid=3&Itemid=259

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

fatbaldguy

• Top Forum Member
  • Friends, don't let friends, shop Wal-Mart
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2012, 06:11:58 PM »
It is generally considered safe to shoot both in sporting rifles chambered for .308, but not recommended to shoot commercial ammo in military rifles chambered for 7.62 x 51 due to the looser chamber dimensions and the "hotter" commercial loadings, and the potential for higher pressure from heavier bullets.

Some reading:

http://www.rangingthoughts.org/post/2011/09/07/308-Winchester-and-762x51-NATO-Are-The-Same-On-The-Outside-and-completely-interchangeable.aspx

http://www.ar10t.com/index.php?option=com_community&view=groups&task=viewdiscussion&groupid=4&topicid=3&Itemid=259

So, all that being said/read, would DPMS be considered a sporting rifle or no?
“It will be of little avail to the people that the laws are made by men of their own choice if the laws be so voluminous that they cannot be read, or so incoherent that they cannot be understood.”

James Madison

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 09:31:41 AM »

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2012, 06:36:08 PM »
Askl them. I really like their .308s, but we on this board are just guessing. They will know.
FQ13

tombogan03884

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2012, 08:44:55 PM »
The barrel will be marked whether it's .308 or 7.62
Not just DPMS, that is a legal requirement, just like the barrel will be marked either .223 or 5.56 MM

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2012, 09:03:21 PM »
The barrel will be marked whether it's .308 or 7.62
Not just DPMS, that is a legal requirement, just like the barrel will be marked either .223 or 5.56 MM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What he said.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk