Author Topic: Colt "post ban" upper on newer lower  (Read 5558 times)

kmitch200

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
Colt "post ban" upper on newer lower
« on: April 09, 2014, 02:50:20 AM »
Found out that the circa '94 Colt HBAR I own - but hated - has an upper that fits just fine on my newer lower. Both have .250" pins.
The old Colt Match Competion HBAR, complete with f#^&ing sear block, has a trigger that has a smooth "cinder block dragging on asphalt" feel. It had 3 pulls, one grind, one drag, and the final creepy one made it go bang.

Putting that 20" upper on the lower that has the good trigger means I can get some more velocity, leave the scope mounted for varmint hunting and leave the Eotech on the M&P 16" upper. 
Now for sighting in with Hornady Superformance! (that stuff in 53gr 223 is faster than 55gr 5.56)   ;D

You can say lots of bad things about pedophiles; but at least they drive slowly past schools.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
Re: Colt "post ban" upper on newer lower
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 07:59:19 PM »
......has a trigger that has a smooth "cinder block dragging on asphalt" feel. It had 3 pulls, one grind, one drag, and the final creepy one made it go bang.

Very descriptive..... made me chuckle greatly!!  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

kmitch200

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 11:35:52 AM »
Initial checking on the net said that the screw type front pin that Colt used for the post ban was .300" or so. Didn't mattter because at the time it was the only AR I had.
When I got another one, I played with that one since I had put an RRA trigger in it.

Fast forward a while and more net checking...finding there is no rhyme or reason to a lot of Colt builds esp. with the "post ban" guns.
Mine had the screw type front takedown pin but in *normal* size.     
You can say lots of bad things about pedophiles; but at least they drive slowly past schools.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1073
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 02:56:13 PM »
My Colt had the screw type take down pin too. It was the big one. .312" or something like that. I replaced the screw with a non-captive type quick release pin. My other upper uses the standard .25" (?) pin that's the same size as the rear. I had an adapter at one time to use either upper on the Colt lower but thew it away when I bought my DPMS lower. Now I have 2 whole guns so there's no more switching uppers for me.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 09:07:34 PM »
my 16" Colt carbine was my primary 3 gun rifle for about 10 years...shot  four of the NC Tactical matches with it as well as a couple of local rifle matches a month,  and over that time at least two of the offset pins broke... finally switched my lower to a .250" pin ArmaLite Eagle with a RRA NM trigger... it's still there, although the carbine length is now a backup, and recently replaced the original barrel with a .600" pencil barrel to make the carbine lighter...

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 01:31:57 AM »

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 567
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 07:57:01 PM »
Les how do you like that pencil barrel.  I was thinking of going with one of those types....kinda zeroing in on a Daniel Defense that is hammer forged.

My thinking is that the hammer forging makes it a bit stronger and more stable as it heats up.

Whaddya' think?
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk