Author Topic: Tips for using the Hornady Lock N Load AP (LnL) Progressive Press  (Read 97148 times)

halh

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Tips for using the Hornady Lock N Load AP (LnL) Progressive Press
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2015, 12:24:22 AM »
some great info here, thanks to all that have contributed!

jkurzner

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2016, 02:30:36 PM »
I realize this is an old topic, but it really is helpful.  I have a Hornady AP Press coming in and would like some advice on mounting.  I am new to reloading and not sure how much space requirement is needed for it.  I see in the Hornady manual they recommend mounting the edge of the unit at least 16 inches from the nearest wall.  Is that recommendation only accurate if the wall is on the left of the unit?  Does it change if the wall is to the right?  I'm trying to preserve as much workbench space as possible and want to keep the unit out of the main workspace area.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 853
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2016, 03:25:08 PM »
The easiest way for me to describe functional and efficient work space is to pretend you are eating a sit down meal.  Center line of press is your shirt button line, and you need free elbow space on both sides.

If you have a major space restriction, consider through holes on the bench with metal inserts, short pieces of pipe with the same ID as the OD of the bolts you use, and remove the press from the workspace when not in use.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2016, 06:10:55 PM »
The easiest way for me to describe functional and efficient work space is to pretend you are eating a sit down meal.  Center line of press is your shirt button line, and you need free elbow space on both sides.

If you have a major space restriction, consider through holes on the bench with metal inserts, short pieces of pipe with the same ID as the OD of the bolts you use, and remove the press from the workspace when not in use.

^^^^^^^
This.

My next project is to mount my presses on dovetailed slide-in inserts (also having a blank insert, and one with my vice attached) so that they all mount in the same spot but can be removed when not in use.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

jkurzner

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2016, 06:17:53 PM »
Yes, I have seen that before and it looks really cool.  May have to do that someday.

Sponsor

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2016, 08:50:39 PM »
...... I see in the Hornady manual they recommend mounting the edge of the unit at least 16 inches from the nearest wall.

Assuming you don't have the automatic case or bullet feeder, then you need enough room to the left of the press for a container or tray of each. I'd say 16" would be about correct.   On the right side you don't need much room at all.  Though you might want to consider where you are going to place your scale.

So if you want max utilization, mount your press towards the right end of your bench.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk