Author Topic: The Blade Show  (Read 4448 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 452
The Blade Show
« on: June 08, 2015, 06:24:27 AM »
Held by Blade magazine each year, here in Cobb County, GA., it's sort of the NRA show of the knife industry.

http://www.bladeshow.com/

Missed it last year, but was able to go this year.   There's everything from the knife manufacturers, Benchmade, Spyderco, Emerson, etc. to kiln manufacturers, to custom makers to collectors and traders.  I'm not a big time knife officando, but I do appreciate a good blade.  (Never understood the Case knife thing though.)    They added a tactical section several years back to fill up floor space and since they've just integrated those exhibitors into the main floor.   Going Gear a local, mainly hiking, store was one of the main sponsors this year.   GG carries lots of knives along with all the latest in hi-tech camping/hiking.  They also have the largest stock of tactical flash lights with easily over 200 on display.   I went looking for a specific sling bag and didn't find it, but came away with a belt sharpener.

Besides the commercial knife makers, there's everything from raw bar stock to custom makers and engravers.  Even an old ivory dealer.   Two dealers with nothing but drill bits.  20' long belt sanders with 6,000 grit belts.

Impressions:   Having missed a year a couple of things jumped out. 

a) The number of knife manufacturers was much larger than in the past.   I don't mean custom makers, I mean commercial ones.  Names I never heard of.  Mostly, of course, all tactical.   Even an Emerson Wave knock off maker.

b) Damascus was everywhere.  Not only custom fix blade, but lots of folders.   There was one booth with probably 16' display of Damascus bar stock.   I was tempted to buy some pre-shaped Damascus knifes to finish off myself, but don't know when I get around to them.  The pre-shaped, rough cuts where only around $60.   Bar stock ran about $120-$300.

This week I'll play with my sharpener and dream about which Emerson I want next.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk