Author Topic: Chilli - Adapt to your wishes  (Read 8158 times)

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1073
Re: Chilli - Adapt to your wishes
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2018, 06:24:19 PM »
I almost said to toss them all in your chili. It doesn't matter what they are.

P.S. I ate some raw jalapenos all by themselves before. Sometimes the tip of them tastes like a green bell pepper, but once you bite into the placenta, where the seeds are, they get hot.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Timothy

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2018, 07:29:02 AM »
Chilies vary greatly in heat units.  One jalapeno will be hot and another will be mild.  Both the same variety.

I like to use minced chilies in my pots.  I can reduce the amount of other spices I use and create the spicy heat slowly as you eat.  No sense blowing out the palate too soon in the meal.  I still used good quality chili powder (several types), cayenne, cumin, onion and garlic powder, just less of it..

I also like some paprika (Hungarian) in there for color and flavor.  Tasting as I go, I'll adjust for spice, salt, maybe add some molasses if it's too tomato'ee, always use dark chocolate and beer reduction...

I've written it down before but every batch is unique...this one I used cubed chuck tender fork roast.  Kept the porky pig out cuz I brought a bowl for a guy at work who can't or won't eat pork!

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2018, 10:45:44 AM »
You all might want to consider adding Ancho Chili Peppers or powder to your list of ingredients. 

This pepper does not add much heat, but it adds much flavor. 
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

Timothy

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2018, 11:00:56 AM »
You all might want to consider adding Ancho Chili Peppers or powder to your list of ingredients. 

This pepper does not add much heat, but it adds much flavor.

Already done....hard to find the chilis but I always have the powder in the pantry.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1073
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2018, 11:21:15 PM »
Way back when I was still married my wife and I made a big pot of chili. I was lucky enough to find some dried chilies at a Meijer store I drove by most work days. Meijer is mostly in Michigan and surrounding states, and they have a grocery store and department store rolled into one. One stop shopping as they say. They have some things other local stores don't.

I can't remember all of the peppers I bought but I'm almost certain Anaheim, which is very mild, was one of them. I think I had Ancho and possibly Guahillo too. You can never go wrong with Chipotle, and a Serrano or two will up the heat a bit. I think we had 4 or 5 different kinds of dried chili peppers and used at least one of each. It was good anyway, whatever combination it was. My ex's great aunt or grandmother used to make chilli with seven different kinds of peppers and no tomatoes. I never had it but it sounded good. I don't think there were any dried peppers in it.

You're supposed to soak dried peppers to soften them up, then cut them in half and get rid of the seeds. If you don't mind seeds you can throw them in the pot whole, and if you simmer your chilli long enough they'll soften up. But the seeds are hard, and you get more flavor if you chop up the peppers. That's really the best way to go. If you use mild and medium peppers you can get great flavor without too much heat. That's the way I like it.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 02:04:24 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk