Author Topic: Share some old handgun love  (Read 2971 times)

BAC

Re: Share some old handgun love
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2020, 02:15:01 PM »
If you do, get the Mk 6.
It's the only one safe with 45 ACP in moon clips.
There are a lot of earlier models with shaved cylinders to take the clips but the cylinders are not safe for 45 ACP.

Thanks.  I'll be on the lookout for that.

tombogan03884

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2020, 02:40:21 PM »
This is about everything I know about them.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNnd0r_a8ps

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1073
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2020, 10:46:32 AM »
VERY nice collection BAC. I knew some of the history of the Savage pistols of that era, but didn't know the 1907 had a double-stack mag. Here's a pistol that was too late to be one of Savage's competitors at the 1907 military pistol trials but was tested in 1917 and 1918. I never knew anything about the Grant Hammond .45, but to me it looks kind of like an Auto Mag minus the vent rib. It's so modern looking it could have been invented 40 years later. Opinions vary, of course. They also made a .32 ACP prototype with a hybrid long recoil blowback/blow forward mechanism. I haven't watched the video yet but this should be interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3Vq-rfm5Rs&feature=emb_logo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVQs4YGm_XE
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2020, 10:55:06 AM »
I saw this clip on IMDb.com and was wondering if anyone knows what kind of pistol this is. It has a very Browning-ish look to it from what I can see, but I can't figure it out.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Majer

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2020, 04:49:49 PM »
Beretta 1934 .380
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper
Pericles--"Freedom is only for those who have the guts to defend it".

The problem with society today is that not enough of us drink wine from our enemies skulls”.

It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars!!!
-Sheriff Jim Wilson
"When tyranny becomes law rebellion becomes duty" Thomas Jefferson
Es gibt keine Notwendigkeit zu befürchten, Underdog hier ist.
Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage. Where are we now??????

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 06:52:00 PM »

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2020, 12:42:46 AM »
Thanks, Majer! I couldn't see the open top on the slide and didn't have a clue what the heck it was. The front of the slide, dust cover and other parts of the frame I could see looked a lot like a Browning design or copy from the first quarter of the century, and I didn't even get the time frame right. I was batting 0 for 2.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2020, 01:02:34 AM »
Wikipedia has a picture of the M1934 so big I reduced it to 25% to post it. It's a few years older but looks like it would be in nice shape if someone cleaned it. Beretta also made an M1935 in .32 ACP. I thought the gun in the picture would be one of those 2 calibers. Hey, I got something right! At least half-right. 

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 452
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2020, 11:15:01 AM »
Nothing like you guys have:

My grand dad's EDC in .32S&W.   

BUT I also have his "Extend all Courtesies" from Miami when he went there on a business trip there.   They didn't have CCW back then.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2020, 04:57:43 AM »
Nice! You don't hear much about the old .32s. I don't think I've ever seen a "courtesies" card before. That's something really special. Were you named after him Alf? I was named after both of my dead grandfathers. I wish I could have met them. One time I found a round of .32 S&W on the street in front of my mom's house. At least I think that's what it was. It's scratched up pretty bad and I haven't looked at it since I bought a new magnifying glass. I don't know anyone who owns one either. .32 Win Spl. is a whole different story.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 452
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2020, 09:42:59 AM »
I don't think I've ever seen a "courtesies" card before. That's something really special. Were you named after him Alf?

It was sort of a good-ol'-boys club thing.  You come to the big city and the mayor's staff gave you one of these cards.  The police were suppose to turn a blind eye to minor-indiscretions, like paying for sex, public drunkenness, double parking and concealed carry.  Not that Mr D did any of those things other than the latter.   Mr. D. formed and was head of the US Wholesale Grocers organization.  He probably was in Miami Beach for their annual convention. 

In the movie Untouchables, Frank Nitty has one from the mayor of Chicago, so the CPD officer won't arrest him for concealed carry.   They were evidently quite common in big cities probably through the 50's if not into the 60's

Yes I was named after him, though he passed when I was 6.  I do remember fishing with him, but never got the chance to learn hunting from him.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk