Author Topic: Picking up a new 1911... One problem  (Read 21500 times)

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
Re: Picking up a new 1911... One problem
« Reply #70 on: December 31, 2020, 06:16:56 PM »
https://www.recovertactical.com/product/cc3p-grip-and-rail-system-for-the-1911/

I couldn't remember who made that. I've also seen a section of Picatinny rail for sale before that was machined to fit the dust cover. It could be attached by drilling and tapping a pair of holes to screw it on, or it could just be glued on with epoxy. If you don't mind refinishing your frame I don't see why it couldn't be silver soldered on too, but I wouldn't try it myself. I'd leave that to someone with a clue a pro.

Also, welcome to the best little gun forum on the internet, Dklee4141.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 853
« Reply #71 on: January 16, 2021, 10:27:58 AM »
1911/ Glock, the only difference is 80 years of development.
Some people like Model T's, some like Mustangs .     ;D

When talking Glock vs. 1911, the 80 years is more materials for manufacture and small tweaks than the major differences we see in technology in 80 years of autos.

People, Pincus, condemn 1911's due to failure rates.  I have run 100k rounds (documented) through my S&W 1911.  The only competition fails came at a steel competition at Mesa, AZ on a very dry and dusty range.  It was my fault!  I prepped the gun, went to the local indoor range and ran 10 rounds through it (2 shots, mag change, 2 shots, mag change, ...), boxed it, and headed to the airport.  I ran just over 400 rounds through it on day one, and that night I gave it a light cleaning (stripped down, wiped down, and added a little lube).  The next day I had issues several times, until I tore it down and cleaned the best I could after the fifth stage (first chance I had enough time to do it, due to shooting order).  First issue was using my northern lube that was more viscus and held dust, and not doing a detailed cleaning between first and second day to get all the sand out of its ass.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
« Reply #72 on: January 16, 2021, 11:49:42 AM »
The reason for no rail on a 1911 is that 1911 owners aren't afraid of the dark.

The reason for wanting a rail has to do with using the Mantis  trigger analysis module.   I don't like lights and lasers for other reasons.

Not picking on 1911s, BUT, (here it comes).   Thursday night's indoor USPSA match we had 3 1911 shooters on our squad.  All three had  problems with their guns.   These weren't spring chickens either.  Crusty ole 1911 guys.   You'd think they'd have worked out the kinks by now.  One was definitely ammo problems.   We think he seated his last batch to long.  When he "open and show clear" the brass came out with a shower of powder and the bullet was stuck in the throat of the barrel.   NOT THE GUNS FAULT I know.

But every 1911 on the line sounded, I don't know, clunky, rattle-ry, when they loaded the first round.   I couldn't help but think, the CZs and PT92s and the striker fired guns just sound so much more, sturdy, solid-ly when the loaded up.

Don't fuss at me.  I have an original 1970 Colt MKIV.  It shoots well and I've shot it in competition.   Just like my revolvers more.  Does that make me old, old, crusty-crusty school?

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #73 on: January 16, 2021, 12:14:43 PM »
The reason for wanting a rail has to do with using the Mantis  trigger analysis module.   I don't like lights and lasers for other reasons.

Not picking on 1911s, BUT, (here it comes).   Thursday night's indoor USPSA match we had 3 1911 shooters on our squad.  All three had  problems with their guns.   These weren't spring chickens either.  Crusty ole 1911 guys.   You'd think they'd have worked out the kinks by now.  One was definitely ammo problems.   We think he seated his last batch to long.  When he "open and show clear" the brass came out with a shower of powder and the bullet was stuck in the throat of the barrel.   NOT THE GUNS FAULT I know.

But every 1911 on the line sounded, I don't know, clunky, rattle-ry, when they loaded the first round.   I couldn't help but think, the CZs and PT92s and the striker fired guns just sound so much more, sturdy, solid-ly when the loaded up.

Don't fuss at me.  I have an original 1970 Colt MKIV.  It shoots well and I've shot it in competition.   Just like my revolvers more.  Does that make me old, old, crusty-crusty school?

In a word, YES.  ;D

But fear not....misery loves company and MOST of the rest of us are already there too or rapidly approaching.  ;D
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 853
« Reply #74 on: January 16, 2021, 01:31:49 PM »
Alf,

I have polymer and steel pistols.  I listen to them operate as I maintain them, and as I manipulate them.  I think some of what you talk about is the difference in materials.  I believe that the polymers encasing the rails on "modern" pistols tends to muffle some of the rattle we become accustomed to in old school pistols.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Sponsor

« Reply #75 on: Today at 08:22:06 PM »

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: January 16, 2021, 02:20:11 PM »
Yes, Mike, the polymers do so.   But the 92s and the CZ are all metal and they just have a, I don't know how to say it, a more solid sound when the lock up than the 1911s.   Just a passing feeling I had this week.  Could have been it was only my 3rd match with my Sig X5 and I was overly conscience of how it looked and sounded, and shot, compared to the other guns.   I'm such  a socialite. 
Will work for ammo

BAC

« Reply #76 on: January 16, 2021, 05:42:53 PM »
Yes, Mike, the polymers do so.   But the 92s and the CZ are all metal and they just have a, I don't know how to say it, a more solid sound when the lock up than the 1911s.   Just a passing feeling I had this week.  Could have been it was only my 3rd match with my Sig X5 and I was overly conscience of how it looked and sounded, and shot, compared to the other guns.   I'm such  a socialite.

How do you like the X5 so far?  I’m weeks away from being eligible for employee discounts.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: January 17, 2021, 08:19:37 AM »
Without the mag-well it qualifies for IDPA SSP division and for USPSA Produvtion.  Its weight and size design to be the most without exceeding limits.  It's hefty to help with recoil recovery and it's smooth operating with a great trigger.   I love it.  I've got about 1,000 rounds through it and used it in 3 indoor matches so far. 

My plans are to keep using it through March then go back to revolver for the Spring and Summer.  USPSA Nationals are in May and I stand a better chance with revolver.  After the IRC in September I'll go back to the X5.
Will work for ammo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk