Author Topic: Half-Price .45 AUTO +P SIG V-Crown LE Surplus Duty Ammo  (Read 2441 times)

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1036
Half-Price .45 AUTO +P SIG V-Crown LE Surplus Duty Ammo
« on: February 13, 2020, 02:13:51 AM »
I don't see ammo going for half price very often, especially serious defensive ammo, so I jumped on this deal. I don't know how much you have to spend to get free shipping but I got it. This is SIG's 230 gr V-Crown JHP with a muzzle velocity of 960 fps. That gives it a muzzle energy of 471 ft-lbs vs their standard V-Crown at 352 ft-lbs. They wouldn't be a great choice for my 3" P10-45, but should get over 600 ft-lbs of muzzle energy from a 16" carbine barrel.

It's $34.99 for a 50 round box, or 70 cents a pop. It was never worth $1.40 a round to begin with, but to get this or any comparable ammo this cheap, you normally have buy it by the case. At least that's what I've seen, but I don't shop around very much.  In one review a guy said he's using this in place of the HSTs he used to carry. I just did a quick look online and saw Federal HST 230 gr +P going for $.80-$1.20 per round. I know I paid those kinds of prices for premium defensive ammo before, so $.70 per round sounded pretty good to me.

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/45auto-p-230gr-elite-v-crown-jhp.html
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Re: Half-Price .45 AUTO +P SIG V-Crown LE Surplus Duty Ammo
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2020, 12:55:46 AM »
When I first looked into the hollow point of these bullets they reminded me of Gold-Dots. Not that they actually look alike, but you can tell there's more to it than just a cone shape punched into the nose. The first thing I noticed is a tiny hole at the center shaped like a six-pointed star. It looks just like a Torx screwdriver socket but smaller than any I've ever seen. I grabbed a sewing needle and tried to stick the eye of the needle in the hole but it wouldn't fit. The point of the needle went down just about even with the case mouth. SIG calls it a "Stacked hollow point bullet design with additional hollow point cavity." The secondary cavity may be deeper than the primary is. My guess is the bullet is made in a way similar to the Gold-Dot, where a bigger, more complicated shape is formed in the cavity, then another die squeezes it shut (mostly), leaving it pre-stressed where it will split when it expands.

I haven't shot any of this ammo and likely won't until summer. I'm going to take the pistol frame off my Mech-Tech CCU and put the 5" pistol back together. My old recoil spring is under 6" long, which I think means it needs to be replaced. It's an 18.5 pound variable rate which would ~= the 18 pound spring it originally had. I'll talk to someone at Wolff and see what they recommend for +P ammo only. 20 pounds may do the trick. Then I'll see how the Sig and Cor-Bon +P ammo I still haven't shot work in it. I have 3 15-round mags and might load one of the spares with the 230 grain SIGs and the other with the 165 grain Cor-Bons if everything works well. I'd like to stick with the Cor-Bons for the 15+1 in the pistol if possible because 573 ft-lbs ME should deliver more energy in-target. My guess is that the recoil wouldn't be much worse with the bullet being so light. The 471 ft-lbs ME of the SIG ammo is nothing to sneeze at but if the gun functions well, and I do, why not have the extra 102 ft-lbs? That's getting up around 10mm territory, which in the SIG V-Crown is 624 ft-lbs ME.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

martinperez

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2023, 07:49:44 AM »
Wow, great find on the ammo deal! I'm also a fan of the V-Crown design. It seems to have some unique features that make it stand out from other hollow points. It's always good to have options when it comes to ammo, especially when it comes to defensive rounds. I'll definitely have to check out the link to the Sig V-Crown. Thanks for sharing! I've recently come across some good deals on 5.7x28 ammo at Midcity Gun Shop if you're interested. They have great prices and a variety of options to choose from. You might want to check it out, so I'll share the link: https://midcitygunshop.com/product/5-7x28-ammo-in-stock-2023/

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2023, 08:23:56 AM »
I don't have a 5.7x28mm but I know someone with 4 of them who may be interested.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk