Author Topic: Red Dots - I've been doing it wrong  (Read 970 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
Red Dots - I've been doing it wrong
« on: November 14, 2021, 09:08:10 PM »
Shot Steel Challenge today.   Local match.  Six regulation stages plus one outlaw stage.

SC is for fun so my goal is to shoot, and get classified, in all 13 divisions.  So far Iron Sighted Revolver, RF Rifle both iron and optic sights and RF Pistol Iron Sights.   So today I shot RF Pistol Optics. 

It's a 22/45 Lite with a TK ring and a Levang comp.  Nothing fancy.  I didn't do as well as I thought I would.   Granted I didn't have intensive practice, but expected to at least equal my RF Pistol Iron Sights. 

I shot the match straight through and ended on the outlaw stage.  It was there that I realize I was doing it wrong.  I've practiced so much with iron sights that focusing on the front sight is ingrained in my DNA.  All day I was focusing on the red dot instead of just seeing the target. 

DUH

I'm an iron sighted guy, so I'm not going to sweat this.  There are two more pistol divisions with Optics; CO and Revolver Optics.  I will try to shoot those correctly, but it will take some practice and concentration when the time comes.

My tentative schedule is Production, Limited, Single Stack, then Carry Optic, Open and Revolver Optic.   I don't shoot every month as it conflicts about half the time with the local ICORE match.  So it may be next fall before I get back to the optics.  Oh, and PCC if I'm still able and can borrow somebody's for 2 matches.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Red Dots - I've been doing it wrong
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2021, 05:32:50 AM »
delete

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
Re: Red Dots - I've been doing it wrong
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2021, 07:05:53 AM »
Yeah. Some years ago at the Ruger Rimfire Challenge at USSA I thought I was going to sail through using a red dot.  So I ordered one and put it on the day before the match.

The results were embarrassing.  I feel your pain.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk