Author Topic: High definition and Shooting Gallery, and the Best defense.  (Read 4611 times)

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
High definition and Shooting Gallery, and the Best defense.
« on: January 21, 2009, 11:56:19 PM »
This is the first wednesday with the new provider, I told him outdoor channel not being available, was a deal breaker, and he said it was definitely in the package. To my SURPRISE, Outdoor channel in High Definition,  8) all of tonights shows were badass.
 Michael you looked good, I could use the duck for a target, that is embroidered on your shirt. Rob and Michael, no offense, but I could have read a book off your slick domes, how do you guys keep your heads from slipping off the pillows at night?  ;)It was an evolution, from the old shows, in standard profile. Not having head hair is a benefit in defensive situations I know, I have a pony tail that could be yanked etc... But wow, this was cool.

Now to Shooting Gallery, the 3 gun shoot was done well, but, stressing loading slugs before you need them, because the course of fire warned you before hand, so you could load to your max advantage, come on, where will we see green paint on a curb to warn us that a slug is going to be needed in the next 30 seconds to a minute, bad move in MHO.  Slugs should be loaded as needed, and maybe have a rule for lost rounds  on the ground before loading the slug, but I don't buy that one much either, but is a favorite on my home range. That is the main advantage to a benelli, being able to load any one round with a quick round release, and shove what you want or need into the chamber. Other than that very cool.

Keep it up guys and gals.
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

Rob Pincus

• CO-HOST ON BEST DEFENSE
  • Top Forum Member
    • I.C.E. Training Company
  • Liked:
Re: High definition and Shooting Gallery, and the Best defense.
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 10:32:43 AM »
M25,

Yes, the High-Def is really nice. In fact, the whole production process with TBD is making me re-evaluate some of what I've been doing on my training DVD series!

Glad you're enjoying the shows..... but I think you are over-thinking our scalps!  ;)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 10:53:36 AM »
Like many (or some at least), I'm not sold on HD for everything. 

True the 16:9 format gives extra horizontal coverage which benefits things like football, basketball and other sports with wide playing fields.  It allow expanded coverage of the peripheral action. 

However, for talking heads or single subjects 16:9 means either pushing in closer on the subject or trying to find creative ways to fill the frame horizontally.   News channels fill the side space with various graphics and inserts/boxes on the sides.  There are many video applications that will probably remain in SD for years to come.

One creative way to use 16:9, we found is to record our videos in HD, but then the editor can crop it to 4:3 choosing the best portion of the picture to use.   This allows covering up for poor framing and unsteadiness.  Fewer takes, less time.  Or gives us more time for cutaways and "b roll" shots, or for variations in the script.

One other thing about "HD" is that some of what is gained in the picture definition is being lost in the transmission algorithms.  So sporting events which benefit from 16:9 format, loose because quality suffers during rapid action.  There are creative ways around it, but I'm not sure how many delivery systems take advantage of them.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 08:34:21 AM »
I just switched to DISH to save about $500 in switching to HD with Directv.  I'll be doggone if OC is not available in HD on DISH.

OC has got to release SG & Best Defense on Blueray...!!!!!  Expanded beyond the 22 minute limit to include additional content and outtakes, eh?
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

ronterry

• Forum Member
  • Where ever you go, there you are?
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 11:46:25 PM »
Yea Rob, the cool factor is when put the "IN HD" or "filmed in 1080p" on the box :)

naaa I love HD, I even film my home movies in HD. It's only at a 16Mbit bitrate, but it blows 480i away!!!
With cameras that have built in google bytes of storage, you can film for 50hours before uploading!

PC writers are only a couple hundred bucks, single layer 25GB media only about 5 bucks each, what's not to like.
Future proof your investment! I can't even comprehend VHS anymore, can you? In ten years DVD and it's resolution will be the eight track of the digital world.
I personally think the future will be a solid state format, like flash cards & on demand straight to the DVR...but Blu-Ray & 1080p works....for now...

My filmed in Blu-Ray Bee-otches logo...

----------------------
Ron

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 05:16:49 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk