Author Topic: Cleaning and Lubes  (Read 26937 times)

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Cleaning and Lubes
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2009, 08:34:21 PM »
My bad on the math, (one of those days), Mauser is 118 years old. :P

The smell of Kroil has banished me to the patio when cleaning. Wife just doesn't get the memories, grampa's garage, mixed with lucky strike cigs and Schlitz, some neighbors dog that would sleep in the corner, and me poking around as a kid.

I always wondered why he had a fridge, and a little radio in the garage, NOW I know.... ;)

I wish I had his bench vise and drill press.

Sorry for the drift, the stuff made years ago seemed to work just fine compared to the "state of the art" stuff.

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2009, 08:48:18 PM »
PB B'laster or diesel will also work in a pinch as a base cleaner. I've used it to good effect.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2009, 10:07:57 PM »
PB B'laster or diesel will also work in a pinch as a base cleaner. I've used it to good effect.

Nothing gets past a coat of PB. That stuff makes WD-40 or CRC look like tap water...
Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2009, 10:21:08 PM »
TW I'm glad you brought up, WD40, do not use this on guns for sure.  It is a wonderful water displacer, but not a good lubricant or rust inhibitor. Great for getting a distributor cap back in shape if it got wet, and good for cleaning certain things, look up the list on Google. Not good for long term storage or fine tuned items like fishing reels or firearms.

Quick story, a shooting friend of mine came by on trade day at the club, and he had a holster ( Ernie Hill fast track for a 5" S&W N frame ) that I wanted, he wanted 75 bucks for it, I offered him 50 and he would not take it. But after talking He gave me a metalloyed model 19 that was all bound up, to work on. Initially you could not cock it or turn the cylinder,you could barely open it. I took it apart, and guess what, WD at work, it turned to a very hard wax, enough so you could not turn the cylinder or cock the hammer. Some brake cleaner and lube, cleaned it all off, reassembled and all was well. That taught me why WD is not for me.

For payment I got the holster ;D I still have it and love it. ;)
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2009, 10:32:49 AM »
TW I'm glad you brought up, WD40, do not use this on guns for sure.  It is a wonderful water displacer, but not a good lubricant or rust inhibitor. Great for getting a distributor cap back in shape if it got wet, and good for cleaning certain things, look up the list on Google. Not good for long term storage or fine tuned items like fishing reels or firearms.

Quick story, a shooting friend of mine came by on trade day at the club, and he had a holster ( Ernie Hill fast track for a 5" S&W N frame ) that I wanted, he wanted 75 bucks for it, I offered him 50 and he would not take it. But after talking He gave me a metalloyed model 19 that was all bound up, to work on. Initially you could not cock it or turn the cylinder,you could barely open it. I took it apart, and guess what, WD at work, it turned to a very hard wax, enough so you could not turn the cylinder or cock the hammer. Some brake cleaner and lube, cleaned it all off, reassembled and all was well. That taught me why WD is not for me.

For payment I got the holster ;D I still have it and love it. ;)

I had an uncle that believed in WD-40....until it gummed up a Remington 1100 for him.
Don't get me wrong, it's good for many a thing, but the only time I've ever used it on guns was to keep the moisture at bay on trips home FROM hunting in foul weather, and as soon as I could, I got it out.
I've used it to surface wipe, but never internally.

It does work really well at getting black scuff marks off of floors.   ;)
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 05:16:21 AM »

deepwater

• SNIPE
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2009, 05:12:30 PM »

we buy the PB Blaster by the case on my ship, great stuff, also buy a lot of spray on cosmoline, good for the harsh environment and easy to clean off. for solvents we buy a water soluble oil that works excellent, available through Unitor by the jug..  ;)

wd40 will also eat rubber, anything with o-rings or rubber seals, diesel does a number on it too. better off using a synthetic oil or silicone based grease for that sort of job. I know you won't find it on your guns, but some people have rubber grips, and those will be affected by some petroleum products. plastic will get brittle too.          and simple green is awesome!!!! works on everything. have found that (if it's available to you) hydraulic oil works good as a solvent.

yeah, I'll think of some stuff later I'm sure...  :)
YOU CAN TEACH A MONKEY HOW TO RIDE A BICYCLE: BUT YOU CAN'T TEACH HIM HOW TO FIX IT!!

DesertMarine

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2009, 05:52:26 PM »
For lube, I am using ATF and automotive grease mixed with a little dry moly.  Working great.  Got the idea of the ATF from the article that was talked about.
For general cleaning, if the firearm is really bad, I'll start with carburator cleaner and WD.  I do not use WD for lube or metal protection.  Here in New Mexico, it is so dry, there is no need to put a coat of rust protection on firearms.
For barrels, I run three wet patches, Bore Tech Eliminator, and let it set for couple hours and then, depending on copper in barrel, plastic or bronze brushes, wet patches and dry patches.  I have used Hoppes, Sweets (don't like it), Shooters Choice, TM solution solvent, JB's with Eliminator doing the best job for cleaning barrels.  I check my barrels with bore scope.  Eliminators will eat up bronze brushes but has no amonia. 
DesertMarine

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2009, 06:06:12 PM »
I've been using Lubraplate 105 (outboard motor lube-for gear cases of non-shaft motors) for years.  Mostly semis because that is what I have.  Have used it on revos too.  Just got some Slide Glide but have yet to make a judgement because I haven't gotten to shoot too much because of health problems.  Hope to cure that by the end of the summer.
Clean with whatever I have handy except WD-40.

Richard

PS:  Think I got it from Brownells at least 30 years ago!
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk