Author Topic: Going red dot  (Read 5593 times)

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
Re: Going red dot
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2009, 04:43:13 PM »
+1. Always ask first before using the hammer.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

GASPASSERDELUXE

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2009, 04:50:10 PM »
FQ, UNSCREW THE LARGE SCREW ON THE LEFT SIDE AND THE SMALL CLAMP THER WILL FALL OFF. THEN PLACE THE EOTECH ON THE BASE WHERE YOU WANT IT, HOOKING IT FROM THE RIGHT SIDE, THEN PUT THE OTHER SMALL PEICE BACK ON AND REINSTALL THE SCREW AND TIGHTEN. THAT SHOULD  CURE YOUR PROBLEM.

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 81
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2009, 05:45:20 PM »
I, also, am fairly new to ARs and I just put that exact same sight on mine - I had it out at the range this morning sighting it in.  Try opening the mount as far as it will go, hook one side on and drop the other over the rail.  You need to make sure that the retention screw lands in one of the notches in the rail or it will never fit.  HTH.

What he said, exactly right. The little pins in the sight sit into the notches in the rail. You can even - if you have to to avoid forcing the issue - remove the side screw nuts completely, mount the sight, put the nuts back on and tighten.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

True_Texan

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2009, 02:45:23 AM »
I've have that exact same Eotech mounted on my AR. Really do love the thing. Plus the fact that is uses plain ol' AA batteries makes it even better. Did you get the Revision F model?

I'm guessing that you are new to all red dot optics and if you are, you should try this and then show your friends.

It's amazing how your brain works.... With the rifle shouldered & both eyes open, take a playing card or something along those lines and cover up the objective side of the sight from the right side (if right eye dominant, reverse if needed). Even without your dominant eye able to see through the optic and only the reticle, your brain will link the image seen by your other eye together.

A video in DRTV video section actually shows this being done with the Aimpoint:  http://www.downrange.tv/show2/  Part 2 to be exact.
"Before giving someone a piece of your mind, be sure you have enough to spare."

True_Texan

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2009, 03:03:33 AM »
I forgot to mention, make sure to pick up a set of BUIS. Never know when electronics or optics will fail.

I picked up a Yankee Hill Manufacturing flip up rear sight for mine. It matched the fold down front sight/gas block I had already put on it.

Available at Midway
or
At Brownells

Certainly not the only brand out there, but probably the least expensive and still well made IMHO.

There are other places you can get that, but those are my favorites. (Midway is the best of course for sponsoring certain things ;D)
"Before giving someone a piece of your mind, be sure you have enough to spare."

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 05:02:28 AM »

Ping

• Top Forum Member
  • Glock Certified Armorer & NRA Certified Instructor
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2009, 09:37:43 PM »
+100 True Texan