Author Topic: laser vs weaponlight aiming  (Read 3238 times)

Overload

• Lefty Expert
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
laser vs weaponlight aiming
« on: November 19, 2009, 04:41:36 PM »
I was just thinking while playing with a Surefire X400: with both on, the laser points hits the rough middle of the flashlight beam.  Therefore, why not use the hot-spot of the flashlight beam itself as your aiming point?  This should works especially well in home defense as the ranges will keep the flashlight beam bright and tight.

Outdoors, the laser has a much longer range than what the flashlight will illuminate, but do you really want to be shooting something that far away?
We have seen the future: and it's expensive. -Michael Bane
Home of the Tickle Me Pamela Anderson. -Michael Bane
Weasels are the switchblade-carrying psychos of the animal world, the meanest creatures on the planet by aggression-level-to-body-weight ratio. -Marko Kloos

Overload in Colorado

Jackel

• life member of the American Honketonk bar association
  • Top Forum Member
  • F150 n' a 30-06
  • Liked:
Re: laser vs weaponlight aiming
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 05:02:12 PM »
in the regiment we did just that. aimed the surefire on the MP5 and fired from the hip. a lot quicker and in CQ is as accurate as a laser. 
you are a redneck when You think "loading the dishwasher" means getting your wife drunk.

You know your a redneck You ever got too drunk to fish.

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 07:18:33 PM »
Overload, do you really want to be shooting something that close???

If your light system happens to co-witness with your impact area, then wonderful and use it, not all do, surefire makes great stuff, but my forend on the 870 is not in the middle of my pattern, at 10yrds, but at 10 feet I'm cool with that. Target it in 1st, and also remember things come loose, check the tension from time to time. Easy to just turn the light on and sight in to see if they all seem to match up as well, without actually shooting, at short distances.
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

Ping

• Top Forum Member
  • Glock Certified Armorer & NRA Certified Instructor
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 10:13:34 PM »
Light it up. If you determine that it is hostile, eliminate it. Lasers do not give the light that we need to determine whether friendly or unfriendly. Light does give us a better visual of the area. I cannot put a red dot from a laser and decide to shoot outside the norm. Just my two bits.
Hope everyone is well. Talk to you all soon, Ping

Overload

• Lefty Expert
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 02:29:39 PM »
Overload, do you really want to be shooting something that close???

Touche.  I am questioning if someone that far away is a threat to me.  If they're so far away that you can't ID them, yet can get a red laser dot on them, I don't think you should shoot.  On the other hand, if they're that close, they may be a threat.
We have seen the future: and it's expensive. -Michael Bane
Home of the Tickle Me Pamela Anderson. -Michael Bane
Weasels are the switchblade-carrying psychos of the animal world, the meanest creatures on the planet by aggression-level-to-body-weight ratio. -Marko Kloos

Overload in Colorado

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 12:18:51 AM »

Michael Bane

• Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Host & Editor-in-chief
    • michaelBane.tv
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 08:45:43 PM »
Essentially the same issue as night sights...you cant clearly identify the target, but you can get a sight picture.

mb
Michael Bane, Majordomo @ MichaelBane.TV

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk