Author Topic: sigsaur mosquito  (Read 13888 times)

redgunner

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
sigsaur mosquito
« on: March 13, 2008, 09:50:55 AM »
i bought a new sig mosquito,not long ago, and have had problems from the get go. tried both springs that came with the gun, and remington rounds, winchester, and federal rounds ,all would not cycle in the gun, properly,either in a slow shot or a fast shoot.also the safty does not work, gun fired when on safe, lucky no one was in the road of that bullet! iam going to take back to cabelas, and see if i get satisfaction. thought people should know.

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Re: sigsaur mosquito
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 09:56:03 AM »
i bought a new sig mosquito,not long ago, and have had problems from the get go. tried both springs that came with the gun, and remington rounds, winchester, and federal rounds ,all would not cycle in the gun, properly,either in a slow shot or a fast shoot.also the safty does not work, gun fired when on safe, lucky no one was in the road of that bullet! iam going to take back to cabelas, and see if i get satisfaction. thought people should know.

You're not the first!  I have one.  Safety is fine but same feed problems.  Sent it back to Sig, still no real joy.  Also the slide will unloack with a small tap on the magazine!

True POS!

I made a thread about it some time back.
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

pioneer

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 03:14:40 PM »
My wife bought me a Mosquito for my birthday 3 years ago.  They had just been released on the market and she bought it knowing that SigArms makes good stuff.  I likewise had problems with it right out of the box, mostly feeding and failure to fire.  I tried every kind of ammo I could find, beg, borrow, or steal, but no help there.  I sent it back to Sig, but they said they couldn't duplicate my problems and returned it to me.  I took it to the range and it performed as it had before.  Same problems.

I called the customer service department and got a supervisor on the phone.  (At the time I was working at Leupold, and our tech service crew knows folks on their tech service crew and the secret phone number.)  I complained loudly and forcefully about the P.O.S.  He told me to send it in again, and a week later I got a new replacement pistol.  The replacement pistol functions properly, with none of the symptoms of the first one.  I finally decided that it likes to digest CCI Mini-Mag ammo and it really likes to be clean.  It requires a basic cleaning after about 50 rounds, or so, or it fails to feed.  With the right ammo (for my gun) I was then able to figure out which recoil spring works and which front sight I should use.  Once all of that was figured out, I find it to be a decent little plinker, but that's all.  It is not reliable for hunting, competition, or other serious use.   I'm ever hopeful that with more use, it will loosen up a bit.  Some day it will probably disappear from my safe, when my wife's not looking, and become trading stock for another, more reliable .22 semi-auto pistol. 

I called in to Tom Gresham's Gun Talk radio show one Sunday, and related my Mosquito saga.  Tom shared a bit of his sage wisdom, that we should "Beware of LOW serial numbers."  Sometimes new model guns need the kinks worked out before they start cranking out good guns.   

Life Member NRA / SAF Member
Naval Aviation 1965-1969
Retired Police Detective '71-'01
HR-218 Certified

United States Constitution (c) 1791
         All Rights Reserved.

Bill Stryker

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 04:42:07 PM »
I too have had problems with my Mosquito.

It hates Winchester and Federal ammo. Functions just ok with CCI and Remington Thunderbolts and golden bullets. I would not want to bet the farm on it.

The double action trigger pull is the worst I have ever had. And, the single action pull is not up to SIG's standards on their other guns either.

At this point I would not give mine up yet, but it does get my "don't buy" rating. And, I do not shoot it as often as I would if it worked better.

I used to clean it after every range session. But I put one of SIG's red dot scopes on it so take down is a problem. I use a bore snake to clean it now after every range session, but only break it down about every six months or so.

Micheal Bane

How bout some comments from you on these problems. Have you talked to SIG about them? What do they say?
You gave the Mosquito good comments when you had the rimfire episode of SG. What gives?

Bill

tombogan03884

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 01:56:34 AM »
Tolerances are TO tight. tight tolerances make for great accuracy but crappy reliability, look at the AK, HUGE tolerances but nothing stops them because crud has room to fall through the mechanism instead of jamming something up, and since most .22 are pure blow back operated they are especially dirty, I have to clean my Buck mark after every second box of ammo because the breach area gets so dirty the extractor can not get a grip on the casing to eject the case. I will double check with a Friend in Sig's machine Dept. but I will bet that they use tighter than usual tolerances on the Mosquito to try to improve accuracy.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 08:48:26 AM »

Bill Stryker

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 10:44:15 AM »
Tom,

I will be interested to know what your friend says.

I don't think tolerances are the problem myself. My S&W M41 and Colt Woodsman have eaten all the different .22 rounds I could find with total reliability. My guess is that the S&W tolerances are about the tightest there are.

BTW the Mosquito is not made in the US. Or was not when I bought mine.

I am a qualified SIG Armorer. So when the Mosquito came out I called to get instructions to work on the Mosquito. I was told at the time that they were probably not going to publish them because they wanted the pistol to come back to Epping. They may have changed their minds since. I am due to go back to the SIG school for an armorer course next year when my certification expires. I will for sure be in their face at the NRA Convention in May. I always make a point of talking to them there, because I like my SIGs.

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008, 10:50:06 AM »
Tom,

I sent mine back to Sig.  They reworked it and honestly the slide feels like it's on roller barings, SMOOTH!  But it still won't fire a full mag without a jam of some sort (stove pipe, FTF,FTE,etc.).

On a full (10 round mag) it will jam first or second shot every time.  If I reduce it to 8 rounds then it may or may not.

Real shame.  Feels good in your hand.  Is accurate but is not reliable.  This was for my GF and even if I could get it 100% she'll never shoot it again.
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

addict

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2008, 08:49:12 PM »
Redgunner, if you want a nice DA/SA .22, take a look at the CZ Kadet conversion for the CZ75. I love the full size frame/same trigger for training. They are beautifully milled with good sights. A bit pricey perhaps, but if it works well, out of the box, that is worth alot. Lots of frustrated Walther P22 and  Sig Mosquito owners out there.
Good luck getting that Sig operational.
Addict

tombogan03884

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2008, 08:58:13 PM »
My buddy got fired, no details why but he can be a mouthy SOB so it was probably for mouthing off to some one, you can get away with that sort of thing in smaller companies, for a while, if you are good enough at what you do, but eventually it will bite you.

fullautovalmet76

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2008, 10:10:00 PM »
Hi,
I traded a Ruger Mark III for a Mosquito TB (threaded barrel) before I read the posts in this forum. But it is not all bad. So far I have fired around 150 rounds through it and have mostly good results. I only had a few FTF (feed/fire). I was shooting Federal and Velocitor and the rounds seemed to work well with the gun. I did clean and lubricate the gun before carrying it to the range for the first time.

A friend of mine relayed a suggestion from a service rep at Sig: on right side of the slide, near the rear site is a hole that one can put a small amount of oil and the gun will function just fine. When I got home, I placed some there and it seems to cycle fine, but I am not shooting anything. The real test will be when I go to the range in a few weeks. So stay tuned....

I too am interested in what Michael has to say about the Mosquito.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk