Author Topic: sigsaur mosquito  (Read 13893 times)

keithm

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: sigsaur mosquito
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2008, 10:57:59 AM »
I'm a die hard Sig guy, but I'm no fan of the mosquito.  Reliability problems plus a comically bad trigger.

Last year I did buy a Walther P22.  I couldn't be happier with that purchase.  It too is ammo finicky, and will only digest CCI with 100% reliability.  But shooting the CCI, I've had range days where I put 600 rounds through that P22 with no failures.  Plus, the gun handles really well.  Points well, shoots well, and is surprisingly accurate for the short barrel (I bought the little one).   I can shoot 1" 10 shot groups with it at 7yds. 

I use it to keep the cost of shooting drills down.  I'll shoot about 3-400 .22 through the Walther, then switch to the P220 or P239 for a hundred or so.

In ammo savings alone, that gun paid for itself in the first month.

VP - West Virginia Citizens Defense League
http://www.wvcdl.org

GuyFawkes2008

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2008, 07:07:28 PM »
My ladylove got me a Mosquito for Christmas because she's always hearing me say how much I love my 229, with the same results; FTFeed, stovepipes, you name it. Arrrggghhh.. Well, much experimenting and reading on the internet later, and I've gotten it to where it's about as reliable as any other .22 I've ever fired, and a lot of fun.

Surprisingly, like someone else mentioned, overall cleaning isn't the key to the change of performance; the important part is to keep the ramp relatively clean, find the right spring to use, and use a hotter ammo like the CCI Minimags or Federal Auto Match AM-22.

I use a Q-tip with a bit of light gunoil on it and swab the ramp every hundred rounds or so while shooting it to get the crud off and lube it a bit. The Federal AM-22 Auto Match is designed for semi-autos, and works out to be about 2/3 the price of the CCI, and I actually have fewer issues with it. Sorry, but I can't remember off hand which spring is on it; try them both.

I use a Bore-Snake after I'm done shooting for the day and only deep clean it about every 600 rounds or so.
People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 582
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2008, 09:21:58 PM »
Man I hate what I'm hearing about the Mosquito.  I've been wanting one of those ever since I saw one on Zen of the 22.  I thought I'd get one of those by justifying size and shape that approximates a centerfire without the centerfire ammo price.   Ya'll are killing me......'course that wouldn't be if you didn't have problems.   Guess I'll have to wait until/if they work the bugs out.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Neon Knight Anubis

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2008, 09:52:28 PM »
If Sigs ever going to fix it they're sure as hell taking their sweet time doing it because that gun has been out for a while and people are still complaining about it on Sigforum (occasional lurker). I'd like a mosquito myself, sure I don't expect a 22 pistol to be all that reliable but I don't want to clear consistent jamming either.
We'll know for the first time
If we're evil or divine
We're the last in line

fullautovalmet76

Re: Mosquito Update...
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2008, 09:09:38 PM »
From my last post I said that I would update on how my latest episode at the range went. I shot 200 rounds through the Mosquito this weekend and only had two FTFs (feed); this makes 350 rounds. I'm noticing the trigger loosening a little. I'll keep a tally and I will let the forum know how it does after 1,000 rounds.

At this point, I must generally agree with everyone when they say this gun is not up to the usual standards put out in their products by Sig. But I do not believe this gun is the worst ever either; my Bryco 9mm takes that honor.

Cheers!

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 09:43:14 PM »

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2008, 09:02:23 PM »
Well...I picked up a Mosquito a despite all the bad press.  They've either fixed 'em or I got a good one.  I ran 250+ rounds through it today without a malfunction of any kind.  I was using the 550 Box of Federal hollowpoints.

pioneer

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2008, 05:46:11 PM »
Well...I picked up a Mosquito a despite all the bad press.  They've either fixed 'em or I got a good one.  I ran 250+ rounds through it today without a malfunction of any kind.  I was using the 550 Box of Federal hollowpoints.

That's good news.  Anyone know if they are actually made by Sig, or are they farmed out?  Everything else Sig puts their name to is first rate.   
Life Member NRA / SAF Member
Naval Aviation 1965-1969
Retired Police Detective '71-'01
HR-218 Certified

United States Constitution (c) 1791
         All Rights Reserved.

Neon Knight Anubis

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2008, 05:52:20 PM »
Actually I think its one of the only models still imported from Sig Germany, other than the X5
We'll know for the first time
If we're evil or divine
We're the last in line

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2008, 07:47:19 PM »

Another 200 or so rounds then I had a misfeed.  The gun was bone dry...understandable.  A drop of oil and another 150 or so rounds and home.

Working well....

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2008, 09:29:38 PM »
OK guys...sorry some of you had problems.  This one is a keeper.

Going to order a threaded barrel now.... :o

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk