Author Topic: Proud Husband  (Read 3302 times)

Magoo541

• Bryan Munson
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Proud Husband
« on: July 25, 2017, 09:57:34 PM »
Saturday started out normal enough, that is until my wife walked in the house after getting her coffee and announced she wanted her own gun.  I played it pretty cool, took my time getting dressed and sipping my coffee before we headed down to the local Sportsman's Warehouse where they have a large selection of handguns.  Put an M&P, G19, VP9, LC9, Walther PQ9 (IIRC) and she whittled it down to the VP9, LC9 and G19 before seeing the Battleworn G19 behind the counter.  SOLD!  I was hoping she would get a Glock, parts everywhere like Mr. Bane has pointed out, but thought she would end up the VP9 or the M&P. 

Took her out to the range and coached (just kept her nose over toes and corrected her flinch/finger press/etc nothing too serious) her through 200 rounds at 5 yards, put every round on a USPSA target and the majority were in a stack of 10" ShootNC targets.  She has MS and has some hand/body shakes but did great.  Loaded her own mags and took a break as needed.  I think I put 10 rounds through it and thought it shot great, didn't notice the grip angle  ::) I hope and pray that she will be open/able to get some training, Thunder Ranch would be GREAT! She is willing for the most part but her MS causes a lot of anxiety, hasn't been more than a 100 miles from the house in 10 years  :-[

I was out Saturday sighting in my new Vortex 1-8, late Father's Day present  ;D , and one of the guys I used to shoot USPSA with was out checking some loads.  He informed me there is a GSSF match this weekend.... 8)
He who dares wins.  SAS

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1103
Re: Proud Husband
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 10:52:54 PM »
I'm happy for you Magoo. I took my ex to the range once. She knew which end the bullets came out (but couldn't keep it pointed away from me). Even though she worked in some bad parts of the city she wasn't interested in guns or self protection. I bought her some pepper spray which I think she kept in her purse.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

tombogan03884

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 06:03:39 AM »
Good for her  Magoo !

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 455
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 06:22:56 AM »
Good for her and you.

My wife can shoot, has her own revolver but could care less about going to a range much less a match. 

I'd go slow on the GSSF match.  Maybe just visit and watch other people shoot the first time.  Then practice with you as RO on the range, until she feels confident to do it in front of strangers.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

crusader rabbit

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 07:33:37 AM »
Back a number of years ago (probably close to 20) I took Bunny and my daughter to a nice indoor range we had nearby.  Daughter was late-20s/early-30s at the time and had never shot.  Since she was living on her own, she had developed a greater interest in firearms for protection.  Bunny recognized the importance of self-defense and had also expressed some interest in shooting my Glock 27.

We went through the basic gun safety drill and Bunny stepped up to the firing line.  Her ears were on, eyes were protected, and gun was loaded.  She picked up the Glock and held it as I had instructed her with both hands placed properly.  She slowly squeezed the trigger and fired off a round.  At that point, Bunny put the gun back on the bench, stepped back, and started crying as she walked off the range and back into the main waiting area.

No amount of cajoling or coaxing would get her back on the firing line.  It was years before she shot another gun, and that was a Single Six at an open air range while she was being carefully coached by Hazcat.  For an old Army drill instructor, he can be remarkably gentle.

Daughter's experience was a little different.  She stepped up to the line, picked up my Glock, took a two-handed stance, and sent the remaining shots down range (10 yards) and directly into the black.  We did a couple more magazines and she only missed hitting the black once or twice.  Daughter then went to off-hand shooting and chewed the heck out of the 10-ring.  Made me proud.

Bunny still won't go shooting with me, and Daughter is living far away in a state with tremendous restrictions on gun ownership.  We have to take commercial aviation to visit her, and the restrictions are so onerous that I won't take any of my guns.

Point is, Magoo, be thrilled with what you have, and go easy on the pressure for more. 

Crusader Rabbit
“I’ve lived the literal meaning of the ‘land of the free’ and ‘home of the brave.’ It’s not corny for me. I feel it in my heart. I feel it in my chest. Even at a ball game, when someone talks during the anthem or doesn’t take off his hat, it pisses me off. I’m not one to be quiet about it, either.”  Chris Kyle

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 04:07:01 PM »

Magoo541

• Bryan Munson
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2017, 08:09:20 AM »
This was the result of YEARS of watering the seed I planted long ago and the political environment here in Oregon didn't hurt either.  She made it clear she didn't NEED a gun but wanted one.

We did talk about getting some training, a 4-hour class is about all she could handle at this point but I did mention Thunder Ranch-a vacation with guns  ;D

BTW Alf, I was thinking I would take her new pistol to the GSSF Match since I don't have one  ;) 

EDIT: I also got the okay to get a caliber conversion for my Dillon 550 in 9mm, should be here Saturday.
He who dares wins.  SAS

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2017, 09:34:01 AM »
I had an acoustic gig last night and Maggie went off to her Well Armed Women meeting. They're organizing to get out the vote against this asswipe Murphy running for Governor. AND she left me a nice little baggie of fired 357 brass. She loves that 686. So I, Sirs, am a proud husband too.
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

gabithompson730

• Forum Member
    • Huge-IT
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2017, 09:44:36 AM »
I am really happy for her and you :)

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2017, 10:47:16 AM »
The best advice I can give you is take her too the.range, rent everything she is.intrested in and don't let "what you would pick" influence her.

My wife still does not carry, she is very recoil sensitive(38 with wadd cutters was  much even my 20 ga rem 1100 was too much.)  her home defence gun is a m1 c with a custom stock(fit too her)    she.can shoot it very well(like dump a 15 round mag in a pie plate at 25yards in under 10'seconds with 100% hit )   given how it is basically a 357 mag, I sleep better at night when I am not there knowing the 1st 15 people thru.the.front door are going too have a bad day.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

tombogan03884

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2017, 12:40:33 PM »
TAB, see how she likes a Kel Tec PMR 30 .22 mag might not be our choice, but there's a shitload of them .

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk