Author Topic: S.C. Mayor Bans Police Pursuits on Foot  (Read 1146 times)

sledgemeister

• Top Forum Member
  • Democrat Sheeples
    • Australian Hunting Net
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
S.C. Mayor Bans Police Pursuits on Foot
« on: October 07, 2009, 02:22:25 AM »
I read this and then I watched the video (see link) and I laughed till I cried - say what are they putting in the corn bread down SC ways? I though it was a "p!ss take", but this women was for real.

ht tp://www.officer.com/web/online/Top-News-Stories/SC-Mayor-Bans-Police-Pursuits-on-Foot/1$48500

The mayor of Wellford, S.C. is defending a policy she issued earlier this month which bans police officers from chasing suspects on foot, according to WSPA-TV.

On Sept. 2, Mayor Sallie Peake issued a memo to all of the city's officers that read: "As of this date, there are to be no more foot chases when a suspect runs. I do not want anyone chasing after any suspects whatsoever."

Peake told the news station that she issued the mandate because several officers have been injured during chases, driving up insurance costs for the town.

The city is paying $20,000 annually in workers' compensation claims, much of which goes to the police force, she said.

According to Wellford Police Chief Chris Guy, three officers have been injured during foot chases in the last two years

Guy has told his officers to abide by the policy and says they can still protect the public.

"Just because a suspect may run does not mean we can't identify them, sign warrants, and catch them later," he said.

Spartanburg County Sheriff Chuck Wright disagrees with Guy's assessment, telling WSPA-TV that when a suspect gets away, there is always the chance he could hurt someone before officers catch up with him.

"If a bank robber or a drunk driver or a shoplifter or somebody with a warrant runs on foot, it's our obligation to do what we can do to bring them to justice," he said.

cant wait for the next piece of genius ordinance from this woman, I suspect it will be something like  "police using sirens after dark will be charged with disturbing the peace".

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters. - Solomon Short

CurrieS103

• NRA Life Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Re: S.C. Mayor Bans Police Pursuits on Foot
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 08:35:22 AM »
(Thump!)....jdyt,.;'^eh3nthg)*&^%$#ipznsnfhb2....   Sorry my jaw hit the keyboard
Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference. - George Washington

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

sledgemeister

• Top Forum Member
  • Democrat Sheeples
    • Australian Hunting Net
  • Liked:
I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters. - Solomon Short

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk