Author Topic: LCP or other .380?  (Read 18390 times)

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1107
Re: LCP or other .380?
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2014, 05:07:53 PM »
I got my free mag and ammo today. I didn't even know it was on it's way yet. I just walked outside and there was a big plastic bag with a small box in it right where FedEx left it. Now I have 2 mags made in the USA and one made in Italy. I'm guessing it's from Mec-Gar. The ammo looks decent. It has a bonded JHP bullet. I may not get to the range until spring because it's too cold now. Or maybe I'll go to the indoor range I've never been to. It depends on when I get the urge to shoot. http://www.winchester.com/library/news/Pages/winchester-w-train-and-defend.aspx
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2014, 01:08:46 PM »
I just got an email yesterday that said my mag and ammo are on the way. HUH ???
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 455
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2014, 05:12:26 AM »
Had that happen with B and H Photo.   Ordered something one day, it was delivered the next morning and that afternoon I got the email saying it was shipped.   Turns out the product was staged at the local UPS warehouse distro center. 
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2019, 12:31:14 AM »
I still haven't fired my LCP but I'm already going to change something on it. I'm ordering this pin. I don't know if I'll get anything else for it or not. It was a pain in the butt to pry the pin out and try not to scratch up my gun the one time I took it apart. After I watched the video I think Ruger should have made the pin this way so the head of it doesn't break off.

https://www.tandemkross.com/Tool-less-Takedown-Pin-for-LCP%C2%AE_p_106.html

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 880
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2019, 08:23:42 AM »
I don't mean to sound cruel, mean, or condescending, what is the issue?  Is this a safe queen or a carry gun?

I need to look back, but I believe it is about nine years that I have been carrying my LCP.  The pin is no issue.  I use the tip of my blade to start it out.  The frame is poly, so no scratch issues, if that is really a concern.

I don't have any scratches due to taking the pin out, but even if I did, the gun has a lot of what is now called patina.  I clean the gun weekly of all dust and lint.  However, pocket carry in all weather conditions mean is gets a lot of sweat and rain abuse.  The slide has speckles of discoloration from being wet while working or riding, the bluing is well warn at the muzzle and other edges, even the poly shows wear conditions from use and carry.

I clean, oil as MOM (Manufacturer's Owner's Manual) instructs, I lightly wipe with light oil on exterior metal surface, and I use a silicone cloth through the week as needed.

Bottom line:  In my own experience personally and from friends who use and carry them daily, this pin is a solution looking for a problem.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Sponsor

« Reply #35 on: Today at 06:56:34 AM »

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2019, 05:55:51 PM »
The issue is what I said. It was a pain in the butt to pry the pin out. There were over 65 reviews of the tool-less take-down pin at that site and I think all but one was 5 stars. Here's one review but he wasn't the only person who had problems with the stock pin.

"My stock take down pin broke out of the blue and I was recommended by some guys at the range to get this one. It is far better than the stock pin. The design allows you to use your finger nail to remove it. A+ part Tandemkross."

I'm going to get the Hogue Handall Hybrid for it too. Is that a solution looking for a problem too? I can't shoot on the property I used to but sooner or later I'm going to put at least a few boxes of ammo downrange.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2019, 08:53:25 AM »
Jumbo, Every situation is based on our own needs.  Your situation is a surprise to me, and that is why I responded as I did.  Like I said, in my circle, there are several LCPs, and you are the first one that I have heard having issues with this pin.  Mine was a little tight the first few take downs, but it is a breeze now - Knife tip under it, and pop it is free enough to grab with fingers.  Also, I personally have not crossed paths with anyone having issues with it walking out on its own.

However, if you are having issues, this is the answer.  Do what you need to do.

Good Luck!
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2019, 05:53:30 PM »
I only took the pin out once and thought it might get easier after I do it a bunch of times, but I'm getting the new pin anyway. I don't like prying on any part of my guns. That's usually a sign that you're doing something the wrong way. Like using a screwdriver to pry on the mainspring latch of a Ruger Mark I-III .22 pistol and getting it all buggered up. A paperclip opened up 90 degrees, or any loop of suitably sized wire, works better and doesn't chew up the edges of the housing. Save the screwdrivers for driving screws and the knives for cutting.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2019, 10:17:55 PM »
I don't pry as much as lift with the blade tip, because my fat fingers won't grasp a pin head so flush.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2019, 11:23:38 PM »
I pried it out with a screwdriver.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk