Author Topic: Reloading cost calculator  (Read 8144 times)

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Reloading cost calculator
« on: July 26, 2010, 10:28:34 AM »
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
Re: Reloading cost calculator
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 12:26:15 PM »
Now that is  handy.

What Larry Potterfield needs to do is add our favorite loads to our account and have the components linked to his product database prices.

Not only would he give you the cost for your loads at his current prices, he could set it up so you could order what you need for a given number of rounds from him..

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 02:47:57 PM »
that does not take into account wear and tear on the reloading eq.  so the actual numbers will be higher.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 06:41:14 PM »
You also get more than 4 loadings per case if you pick up your brass.  Sometimes you hit the jackpot and find someone else's brass.  With the # of rounds reloaded I don't think there is any way to figure wear and tear and if you have Dillon their repair policy is second to none.

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

Timothy

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 06:50:29 PM »
Question from a layman...

At what point in the loading process do you recupe the cost of the equipment using .45 ACP as the example.  Retail it's running about 35 bucks per hundred WWB or about 35 cents per cartridge.

Anyone????

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 01:43:48 PM »

bryand71

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 07:08:58 PM »
That is a handy thing to have.
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen." [Samuel Adams]

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 08:41:53 PM »
that does not take into account wear and tear on the reloading eq.  so the actual numbers will be higher.

Say $2400 for a nicely equipped reloading bench.  Figure it will last 10 years.  That is $240 a year or $20 a month.

If you load 500 rounds a month, it will add $0.04 (4 cents) per round

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 07:54:51 PM »
My RCBS Rock Chucker was bought in 1976, and I still have many dies from that time. Shell holders, powder scales, bullet molds. All will be producing ammo long after I'm gone. Properly used and stored reloading equipment will last a lifetime.  Bill T.

Pecos Bill

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 02:44:30 PM »
Say $2400 for a nicely equipped reloading bench.  Figure it will last 10 years.  That is $240 a year or $20 a month.

If you load 500 rounds a month, it will add $0.04 (4 cents) per round

$2400 for equipment is NOT a nicely equipped reloading bench that's a blasted expensive bench. I've seen folks leave a shop with Dillon equipment (a lot of Dillon equipment) plus 2 or 3 sets of dies (Dillon) plus cases, bullets, primer, and powder for less than a grand. When do you recoup all your investment?     When you do let me know>   My reloading bench is an on going project and absorbs money on a regular schedule.

Pecos
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress, but I repeat myself." - Mark Twain

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 457
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 04:05:55 PM »
I still have my Herter's press from 1970.   Still works.

Just ran my .40 S&W through the calculator and I'm running 17cents a round.   The cheapest ammo I'd buy (forget blazer and wolf) is 31 cents!  At 500 a month,   the dies are paid for in the first 2 weeks.     Oh yeah, reloading saves money.

BUT, as important as cost is, being able to tailor the load can be more so.   My .40SW runs just at the 175 Power Factor, so I'm not shooting anything beyond what the rules require.    And, I'm planning on starting to reload 9mm not to save money, but to just meet PF and not any more. 

By the way, I've gone through 3,000+ rounds of "purchased" 9mm in the past 2 years, and kept most of the brass......what do I cost them out at for reloading?  Zero is my thinking.   So my 9mm cost will be powder, primer and bullets only.

Also, I've never bought .45ACP Brass.     All of which has been given to me by other shooters.    (Though I admit I don't shoot it as much and am down to a measly 800 rounds.)

I will admit if I push towards 1000 reloads a month a Dillon will be on the wish list, which might cut into the savings a bit.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk