Author Topic: easy desperation reloading?....... :(  (Read 16335 times)

Bic

• Top Forum Member
  • It's just a pen name...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
easy desperation reloading?....... :(
« on: August 08, 2010, 08:32:33 PM »
I'm a HORRIBLE knife sharpener, I lack the patience and skills. I have no doubt that I would also be a HORRIBLE reloader....oh wait what's that bright & shiny thing over there.....now...where was I?

Anyway.....that's why I have 3 pistols in the same caliber and much ammunition, and an AR with stores likewise.

BUT!  should TEOTWAWKI last long enough to exhaust these supplies AND I was fortunate enough to obtain a revolver, which used cartridges big enough for my fat fingers to play with, [ruger44mag/45colt?] and matching caliber H&R single shot rifle? AND a Lee Load All hand loading tool with the appropriate dies....is there a load which even I could put together without endangering myself/others with no other equipment?
 I'm thinking perhaps of compressed loads so as not to have to weigh/measure powder. Black powder?, Shotgun powder to play with on those electricity free candle lit evenings .....all opinions appreciated, Ta

MP
Best Wishes, Mike.

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
Re: easy desperation reloading?....... :(
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 10:46:08 PM »
Ahhh...You ok over there, Bub?
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

CJS3

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 10:50:28 PM »
Don't set the candles too close to the powder ;D

Pick up a reloading guide. Plenty of delicious recipes inside. If your going to be loading one "all purpose" bullet, once you set everything up, you won't have to change anything.
Children, pets, and slaves are taken care of. Free Men take care of themselves.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 01:11:52 AM »
a powder dipper set...
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Bic

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 07:01:26 AM »
Ahhh...You ok over there, Bub?

Just a couple more and I will be......

MP
Best Wishes, Mike.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 03:19:59 PM »

sledgemeister

• Top Forum Member
  • Democrat Sheeples
    • Australian Hunting Net
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 11:34:02 AM »
How much do you shoot?
If your throwing a couple hundred down range a week then yeah reload. You wont save any money you will just shoot more  :P

If your only throwing a few doz down the range buy em, ammo prices are dirt cheap in your neck of the woods.
It costs me to reload about 18.00 aus per 50 44rem mag to reload (including pill price) If I cast it would be 50% of that.

IMHO You will need a minimum: powder measure, scales, press, dies and a good reloading book.
and time, depending how much you have will also affect your decision to reload.
I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters. - Solomon Short

Bic

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 10:46:17 PM »
How much do you shoot?
If your throwing a couple hundred down range a week then yeah reload. You wont save any money you will just shoot more  :P

If your only throwing a few doz down the range buy em, ammo prices are dirt cheap in your neck of the woods.
It costs me to reload about 18.00 aus per 50 44rem mag to reload (including pill price) If I cast it would be 50% of that.

IMHO You will need a minimum: powder measure, scales, press, dies and a good reloading book.
and time, depending how much you have will also affect your decision to reload.

It's not about that stuff Sledge, I was envisioning an 'End of Civilisation' scenario where this might be a last, desperate resort for self defence and foraging, having run out of all other options.

Maybe I'd be better off just stocking up on a shootload more .22lr  :-\
Best Wishes, Mike.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2010, 12:08:53 AM »
22lr can take any game animal in north america. 
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

tombogan03884

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2010, 01:36:16 AM »
 Go with black powder calibers then, under those circumstances you may wind up having to make your own.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2010, 02:25:49 AM »
Go with black powder calibers then, under those circumstances you may wind up having to make your own.

+1
With black powder, you can compress it (some smokeless can be compressed, but it is rare) so that would eliminate the need for precision measurements. With the BP, you do have to maintain the cleanliness more stringently after shooting, but that can be done with dish soap and water, followed by kerosene or lamp oil in a pinch.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk