Author Topic: GUN SHOW BRASS, Lesson Learned  (Read 11516 times)

tombogan03884

Re: GUN SHOW BRASS, Lesson Learned
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2010, 02:06:21 AM »
Yeah, pretty pathetic when you have to borrow a dog to blame.
Speaking of which, has your little disposal killed itself yet ? Or gotten your life threatened lately  ;D

mortdooley

• The U.S. Constitution poses no serious threat to our form of government..
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2010, 08:19:14 AM »
 I agree that a trip to the range with the bolt gun would be first choice. My problem is the range brass I bring home, once a nice shiny berdin primed 9mm snuck in to my range bag and broke my decapping pin. Now I just borrow the pin from a seldom used die until I buy another one, they are easy to remove and replace. 
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.”

- – Voltaire

You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them.--Ray Bradbury

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2010, 08:56:48 AM »
I agree that a trip to the range with the bolt gun would be first choice. My problem is the range brass I bring home, once a nice shiny berdin primed 9mm snuck in to my range bag and broke my decapping pin. Now I just borrow the pin from a seldom used die until I buy another one, they are easy to remove and replace. 

yeah...cheaper to have a handful of pins available than trying to shine a light down in there to count little holes.

My Dillon 650 has a tool head with "universal" decapping die and a powered case trimmer as the only filled stations.  That way I can decap and trim the cases before they spend time in the case cleaner.   Don't know if it really matters, but I've never liked the idea of putting dirty cases through my sizing dies even though they are carbide and more immune to debris on the cases.  I get a trimmed and decapped case with every pull of the handle.  Seems a pity to waste my time on a function that a trained monkey could do just as well, but have you priced trained monkeys lately?

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2010, 06:41:54 PM »
Seems a pity to waste my time on a function that a trained monkey could do just as well, but have you priced trained monkeys lately?

A $400,000 annual salary, along with a $50,000 annual expense account, a $100,000 non-taxable travel account and $19,000 for entertainment.

8)
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2010, 05:51:05 AM »
Anything I run through a semi auto rifle gets full length resized in a Small Base Resizing Die after I Ultrasonically clean the cases first. I also slightly preload the press to be absolutely sure the shoulders all get bumped back to pre fired dimensions. Now that I've gone to Stainless Steel tumbling media I've eliminated the need to clean the primer pockets, which is a big help. I still square the primer pockets on all of the once fired brass I reload to be extra sure all primers get seated to the bottom of the primer pockets. It's the only way to get 100% reliable reloaded ammunition for a semi auto, and not run the risk of any slam fires because of protruding primers. All it takes is one to trash a $1,800.00 M1-A, and maybe lose an eye in the process.  Bill T.

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 02:20:47 PM »

Majer

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2011, 07:30:04 PM »
I bought some 30-30 brass at a gunshow once, I was loading some up and noticed that some of them were full to the top with the weighed charges I dropped in them. I dumped the powder and looked inside and saw what looked like a smaller case capacity from the others(Yes, it was that noticeable )I cut one apart and found that someone had inserted a .30 carbine case inside with a drilled out primer pocket. Now I have no idea why anyone would expand the case mouth that much to do this then resize it back to spec but I looked through the rest of the cases and found about 15 or 20 that were modified that way.Because of this  I will never buy brass from a gunshow that isn't factory new in sealed bags.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper
Pericles--"Freedom is only for those who have the guts to defend it".

The problem with society today is that not enough of us drink wine from our enemies skulls”.

It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars!!!
-Sheriff Jim Wilson
"When tyranny becomes law rebellion becomes duty" Thomas Jefferson
Es gibt keine Notwendigkeit zu befürchten, Underdog hier ist.
Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage. Where are we now??????

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2011, 04:20:37 AM »
Gun show "Bag-O-Brass" is usually always a disaster waiting to happen. A lot of this stuff is range pickup brass that's been shot out and left. Guys will pick it up, take it home and clean and sort it, then it's off to the next gun show to make a quick buck. These guys normally don't take the time to properly sort this stuff, and look for things that give evidence the brass is shot out. The guy buying it is often lied to and told it's, "once fired range brass". You can run into good deals from time to time. Once I found a guy who had 2, 5 gallon buckets of .38 Special brass for $10.00 a bucket. I bought both. I asked why so cheap and he said most were military with crimped pockets. The stuff took me forever to prep, but when I was finished I had close to 5,000+ rounds. All of it was good.

About half was Nickel and the other half brass which I sorted because Nickel cases can scratch resizing dies, even Carbide, and it will leave small scratches down the length of the case. So I resized the Nickel cases with an older Lyman Carbide die I had learned that lesson on. I'm always skeptical when I see lots of brass for under 50% of what it normally sells for. There is usually a reason for it. You can't polish away wear and tear.  Bill T.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk