Author Topic: Ruger LCP magazine failure  (Read 6035 times)

Lyle

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Ruger LCP magazine failure
« on: May 13, 2008, 08:33:23 PM »
I bought a Ruger LCP on 10 April and ran 38 mags of Lellier & Bellot and MagTech ball and two mags of Cor-Bon JHP over several days. Experienced no problems whatsoever. Yesterday (12 May) there was a complete failure of the magazine to insert. It simply would not go in normally past half way. The only way to inset the magazine is to manually depress the release button, then it inserts fine. Magazine looks fine, no rough edges or damage. I put in a call to Ruger and am awaiting a tech reply. Reply from Ruger: "The top edge of the magazine contacts the bottom of the magazine latch and forces it to the side so that the mag can be fully inserted and locked into place. Sometimes the magazine catches the bottom of the mag latch causing the condition you described. If you insert the magazine and bump it hard into the pistol with the palm of your hand and repeat this a few times, the condition will go away. Don't be afraid to do this, it will not harm the pistol or the mag latch. We have never seen a mag latch fail on the LCP." I did this, hard, several times, and the magazine now inserts fine every time.

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 83
Re: Ruger LCP magazine failure
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 09:00:58 PM »
I bought a Ruger LCP on 10 April and ran 38 mags of Lellier & Bellot and MagTech ball and two mags of Cor-Bon JHP over several days. Experienced no problems whatsoever. Yesterday (12 May) there was a complete failure of the magazine to insert. It simply would not go in normally past half way. The only way to inset the magazine is to manually depress the release button, then it inserts fine. Magazine looks fine, no rough edges or damage. I put in a call to Ruger and am awaiting a tech reply.

My mag won't go in at all past halfway without pressing the mag release. I thought this was a "feature" as I have a .22 that does the same thing. So it's not supposed to be that way? Who knew? Keep us posted as to what Ruger says.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

Blank

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 12:14:21 AM »
It simply would not go in normally past half way. The only way to inset the magazine is to manually depress the release button, then it inserts fine. Magazine looks fine, no rough edges or damage.

Sometimes if I step on a magazine that will happen or if it's real dirty from droping it on the ground wet with oil.

Or sitting on it. When the mag is in my back pocket...

I am not sure what your problem is.

I am sure Ruger will fix your problem for you.

My LCP is ticking like a glock ops like a clock.

Blank

tombogan03884

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 12:40:45 AM »
The RELEASE botton may not be adjusted right. it may have loosened or tightened from the shock of recoil.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk