Author Topic: Media Hope  (Read 2560 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
Media Hope
« on: June 26, 2020, 09:44:13 AM »
<Edited 6/26 1pm Tesla not BMW was stolen>

Hmm.  Not sure what to make of it, but maybe there's some hope for at least some of the media.

Suspect stole a car in Cobb County out of a strip mall parking lot.   Not far from me, BTW.   Of course it was a Tesla.  Nobody steal Honda CR-Vs.

Cobb PD was on it in minutes and started a chase.  Three times during the chase the suspect fired on officers.  The final instance he grazed an officer in the head.  (Officer was treated and released, is doing okay.)  At the final instance  CCPD returned fire and stopped the perp, who is now  residing in the ME's office.  Some details are sketchy.

What immediately struck me last night is how 3 of the major local news outlets covered the story.

They did not identify the Race of the Perp.
They did not identify the Race or Sex of the officer.
They did not identify the make/model of rifle.

Is it them? 
Was it a white perp and black officer so it didn't fit an agenda?
Are the CCPD that good that they were able to withhold that info with no leaks?
Or is it that's just the way we roll in Cobb County.

This is how crimes should be reported.  Race is not the issue. 

Maybe, just maybe, these three news outlets get it. 

Can't wait for followup. 
What was he doing with a rifle in a car he had just stolen?
Did he have another weapon?
Did he fire the rifle while driving?  Or did he stop and engage each time (3)?
How did CCPD get on this stolen car so fast?  This all happened in <30minutes and <2 miles.
Was it a car jacking?

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
Re: Media Hope
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2020, 12:10:58 PM »
The  only time race should be mentioned is in an APB and be on the lookout for  a suspect....same as hair color, height, identifying marks and clothing color. 

Weapon type also....

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

tombogan03884

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2020, 03:14:32 PM »
How did CCPD get on this stolen car so fast?  This all happened in <30minutes and <2 miles.
Was it a car jacking?

I think I can answer this one with a question.
"How many Tesla's can there be in the county ?  "
I guessing few enough that the cops would feel confident chasing the next one they saw. 
Around here we've gotten blase' about Lambroghini's, and I still don't think I've seen a Tesla.

As for the rest, you seem to have a really good dept, so maybe they do keep their mouths shut.
I would much sooner give benefit of a doubt to Cops, some of whom are dick's, than to media, all of whom are dick's.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2020, 10:06:30 AM »
Still hold out hope some of the media isn't trying to make a race thing of every incident.

Just a little more info.   

We do have a fair number of Tesla's around here.  (I'm putting in a reservation for a Nikola Badger myself)   But more due to the high number of teckies than anything else I think.

The car jacker was Hispanic.
No word on the race of the car owner or the PD officer, who was treated and released-doing good.
The owner used their cell phone immediately and for some reason was connected to ATL PD.
ATL PD immediately relayed to Cobb PD who had a car nearby and located the victim in short order.
The Perp stopped the car 3 times, got out and shot at police with a rifle.
No word on the type of rifle.
Got to be someone else involved who drove the carjacker to the location.

I suspect Cobb PD is very tight lipped while trying to nail down all the details.

Will work for ammo

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 877
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2020, 11:53:54 AM »
<Edited 6/26 1pm Tesla not BMW was stolen>

What immediately struck me last night is how 3 of the major local news outlets covered the story.

They did not identify the Race of the Perp.
They did not identify the Race or Sex of the officer.
They did not identify the make/model of rifle.

Is it them? 
Was it a white perp and black officer so it didn't fit an agenda?
Are the CCPD that good that they were able to withhold that info with no leaks?
Or is it that's just the way we roll in Cobb County.

This is how crimes should be reported.  Race is not the issue. 

BINGO!!!
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 11:07:25 PM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2020, 01:02:04 PM »
I saw last fall that they were bringing out an "under 50 K " model .
That's all cool.
But I still say they won't take off until they come out with work vehicles, pick up's and other heavy use vehicles.
When that happens the gas engine will join the horse as playthings of the affluent.

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2020, 10:32:40 PM »
I haven't really followed the development in rechargeable battery chemistry... do the Teslas use LiIon, LiFePO4 or something new?.... 

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2020, 11:40:26 PM »
I haven't really followed the development in rechargeable battery chemistry... do the Teslas use LiIon, LiFePO4 or something new?....
  they use Panasonic NCR18650B ( up to 7100 of them)  which is a nickel-cobalt-aluminum cathodes.  The tesla 3 i believe still does use lit ion.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 576
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2020, 08:04:00 AM »
<snip>
But I still say they won't take off until they come out with work vehicles, pick up's and other heavy use vehicles.
<snip>

So peak power demand is from around 7PM until 11PM after people are home.  That's when everyone is also going to plug in their car when it needs a recharge.  Right now the grid is designed for the normal peak demand during this time but that demand will be increased.  If these cars sell like they are supposed to in 5 years we could have some real problems with the US grid supplying demand.  Push charging to a different time and there won't be a problem....but how do you enforce that?

So...I think these vehicles will continue to come onto the market but in a year or two we'll begin to see grid issues pop up.  New transformers that can handle the load into the suburbs will help but at some point larger wire will have to be run or....those transformers need to step up higher and then drop down to home voltages.  Or some mix. 

All I'm saying is that these things will increase to a point and then be stymied by the grid.  For oil and gas people....it's all good.  More will be used to get that battery charged then what they put in the tanks now.  There is large scale efficiency gain in burning lots of hydrocarbons in a fixed prime mover source...but then generating and transporting electricity and then finally the charging of the batteries add losses which will force up oil and gas consumption to generate electricity.  Unless they build more nukes and dam up more rivers....not likely in the short term.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2020, 09:17:40 AM »
I leased a Leaf for two years.  With state and federal rebates at the time I made money on it.  Most of my charging was done at work, during the morning.   And yes I checked with my employer who said it was okay.  On my trips to the range I had permission from the range manage to charge while I was there. 

Yes many people will charge at home after work, some percent will charge all during the day.  In addition this will build gradually over a decade or more  so the grid will have time to respond. 

In addition the 120V charging is a pretty slow charger with a low demand.  It could take my Leaf up to 14 hours to charge from almost empty.  So the demand on the grid would be spread out over the whole evening, not just a couple of hours.   Now the 240v charger is actually a higher demand, quicker charger.  It draws more power and charges in just a couple of hours.  Almost 5 times quicker charging.  Plugging in 1,000  of those in at the same time in one subdivision could cause problems.   But how many homeowners will go to that trouble?   
Will work for ammo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk