Author Topic: Hand gun hunting calibers  (Read 9528 times)

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 887
Re: Hand gun hunting calibers
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2017, 10:30:31 AM »
Once you get past the dumb regulations that govern hunting (For fun watch a YouTube by Ted Nugent on archery draw weight), it is just like self defense choice: Energy and bullet performance at given distance on given animal.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Majer

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2017, 10:48:08 AM »
Speaking of Ted Nugent,He carries and hunts with a 10mm,He has taken deer and wild hogs with it,I would think if it takes down a hog, it will do anything else you need it to do.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper
Pericles--"Freedom is only for those who have the guts to defend it".

The problem with society today is that not enough of us drink wine from our enemies skulls”.

It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars!!!
-Sheriff Jim Wilson
"When tyranny becomes law rebellion becomes duty" Thomas Jefferson
Es gibt keine Notwendigkeit zu befürchten, Underdog hier ist.
Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage. Where are we now??????

tombogan03884

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2017, 12:37:33 PM »
Glock G-40 is designed for hunting, 6inch barrel and reddot sight.
I got nothing against TC Contender or Encore, hell, I used to make them.
Mike regulations don't enter into this, it's not about getting a license and what not. Just doing what you have to do. Dealing with things that pop up in life.

fatbaldguy

• Top Forum Member
  • Friends, don't let friends, shop Wal-Mart
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2017, 03:57:43 PM »
I've taken deer with a .41 Magnum.  They dropped really fast.  Never shoulda sold that gun.  I can hunt deer here with the .45 ACP.  5 inch barrel minimum.  If I were to do so, I would use a hot (+P range) hand loaded hard cast bullet in the 230 grain range.  The Ruger RedHawk is not easy to conceal, but, a 1911 just seems to disappear on my ever expanding waistline.  There are multiple options for 10mm on the 1911 platform.
“It will be of little avail to the people that the laws are made by men of their own choice if the laws be so voluminous that they cannot be read, or so incoherent that they cannot be understood.”

James Madison

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 887
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2017, 05:29:56 PM »

Mike regulations don't enter into this, it's not about getting a license and what not. Just doing what you have to do. Dealing with things that pop up in life.
I thought this was about hunting with a handgun.  If not, then it is still all about the basics of self defense choices.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 12:20:13 PM »

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 583
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2017, 09:10:11 PM »
Too small for deer, to large to carry concealed.  What am I to do???  :-\

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

tombogan03884

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2017, 05:58:34 AM »
Too small for deer, to large to carry concealed.  What am I to do???  :-\

Auction, then buy a fish and a fowl since this is neither. LOL. Or trade for a TC Encore and 2  barrels. .22LR and 14 inch 45/70 , small enough for squirrels and big enough for elephant .

I thought this was about hunting with a handgun.  If not, then it is still all about the basics of self defense choices.

My thinking is that while a pistol suitable for human attackers isn't enough for animals, the reverse is not true. So that is my baseline for a "do it all" pistol.

Looks like it's down to 10mm and 357 which is OK .
Since I grew up shooting 357  my next project is to try out a 10 mm.

A thought just crossed my mind, If a 45 cal 230 FMJ wallops a 200 lb person so effectively, Why has only one comment suggested it for 200 pound deer ? Are there things I'm not taking into account ? Maybe greater stability of 4 hooves versus 2 feet, more points of contact spreading the shock, denser bone ?

fatbaldguy

• Top Forum Member
  • Friends, don't let friends, shop Wal-Mart
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2017, 07:36:04 AM »
A thought just crossed my mind, If a 45 cal 230 FMJ wallops a 200 lb person so effectively, Why has only one comment suggested it for 200 pound deer ? Are there things I'm not taking into account ? Maybe greater stability of 4 hooves versus 2 feet, more points of contact spreading the shock, denser bone ?

Off the cuff, a human, shot in the chest by a .45ACP 'knows' (by conditioning from movies and print) that they are dead.  A deer not so much.  A deer will run for that 50 to 100 yards before their lungs give out.
“It will be of little avail to the people that the laws are made by men of their own choice if the laws be so voluminous that they cannot be read, or so incoherent that they cannot be understood.”

James Madison

tombogan03884

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2017, 07:44:04 AM »
Off the cuff, a human, shot in the chest by a .45ACP 'knows' (by conditioning from movies and print) that they are dead.  A deer not so much.  A deer will run for that 50 to 100 yards before their lungs give out.

I had thought of "tenacity", but didn't mention it to see if any one else would.
Most of the African writer's mention that unless you get a one shot kill most of the game animals take a butt load of killing. Capstick mentions animals running a couple hundred yards with heart and lungs both destroyed.

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 583
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2017, 08:31:34 AM »
My thought on the 45 is that if you stretch the range the 10MM speed takes over.  So, I went to http://gundata.org/ballistic-calculator/ and compared a 1075 fps Corbon in 45 ACP to a 1300 fps round in 10MM.  Both zeroed at 100 yards the 10MM drops 9.5"+/- at 150 yards and the 45 ACP drops 13.5" at 150 yards. 

Not significant.  My thinking was that it was.  Oh well. 

Good suggestion on the XP-100.  It only took me 50 years of waiting to get one....I think I'll run with it blindly trying to find something to shoot with it for a few more months...  ;D
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk