Author Topic: Wolff ammo-I guess it just had to happen  (Read 12840 times)

gunman42782

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Wolff ammo-I guess it just had to happen
« on: September 02, 2008, 12:53:12 PM »
I have always defended Wolff ammo.  I have never had a problem with the stuff, and I figured those who did just did not clean their stinking guns enough.  I seen two guys I know shooting their ARs that had a fired cartridge case stick in the chamber, both of them happening on the same day!  I attributed it to the fact these two young guys like to make their ARs sound like M16s, and I also did not figure they were as particular about cleaning as I am.  Well, I reckon it had to happen, the same thing happened to me today!  Took the old AR out, shot 60 rounds of it at a leasurely pace, no rapid fire stuff.  Put the gun down and shot 200 rounds through my 10/22 and MK2.  Went back to the AR, fired two rounds, and blam, the second cartridge stuck in the chamber.  That was the end of ole Tim's shooting for today!  When I got back to the house a cleaning rod knocked it right out, but this would have more than sucked if it would have been a self defense/combat type situation!  This is the new polymer coated Wolff stuff.  By the way, this was the very first time my AR has had a stoppage of any kind, and it dang sure is ammo related, not the gun!  I only bought a small stockpile of Wolff ammo to supplement my reloaded ammo, but I rekon I will stick with my reloads from now on!
Life Member of the NRA

Ckott

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
Re: Wolff ammo-I guess it just had to happen
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 12:58:49 PM »
Just use it at the range and you'll be ok. I'll use wolff for practice but my go-to mags are loaded with top quality brass.
For he today that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition.

SigShooter

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 01:48:57 PM »
Just use it at the range and you'll be ok. I'll use wolff for practice but my go-to mags are loaded with top quality brass.

Typically you get what you pay for, but I've seen a lot of happy reviews of Wolff products on MidwayUSA.

This is the new polymer coated Wolff stuff.  By the way, this was the very first time my AR has had a stoppage of any kind, and it dang sure is ammo related, not the gun!  I only bought a small stockpile of Wolff ammo to supplement my reloaded ammo, but I rekon I will stick with my reloads from now on!

I might suggest that if you take your AR and any other gun, you shoot your reloads first, then your other gun, then go back to your AR and the Wolff just to clear out what remaining ammo you have and at a time when you're near finished shooting, so if you have a problem, it doesn't ruin your entire range session. Also, try some of there steel case ammo. It might be that the polymer stuff just sticks in the chamber.
From my cold dead hands...to my next of kin to further our rights.

Never to the government. They can buy their own.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1103
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 02:12:13 PM »
I believe the polymer coated cases are steel. I read that it was supposed to eliminate the problem of the chamber getting gummed up by laquered steel cases. I've never used a single round of steel cased ammo in any of my guns and don't plan on it. Stuff like that was made during WWII in the U.S. when brass was too scarce and they were desperate for an emergency substitute. If things ever get that bad, like it's WWIII, then I'll use it but only if I have too.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Bill Stryker

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 02:56:06 PM »
gunman,
Thanks for your post. Good information and timely for me.
I'm with Jumbofrank on this one.
I used a case of Wolf 9mm without problem shooting in my P226. But our range now bans the use of Wolf ammo period.
I noticed on Ammoman there is some Prvi Partisan ammo labeled Wolf. I have had great luck with Prvi Partisan .223 ammo. I bought a case of it marked Prvi Partisan. It has a brass case, is noncorrosive, and reloadable. I understand that the US Army is buying from them as well. So, I guess it depends on which Wolf ammo you are talking about.

BTW, Jumbofrank, I have shot and had reloaded some of the WWII tin case .45 ammo over the years. It all worked in sub guns and M1911s -- recall that I spent 27+ years on active duty with the Army. I do not recommend reloading that tin case stuff -- I worry that it could scratch your die.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 01:44:35 PM »

2HOW

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 04:25:53 PM »
If your AR is chambered for .223 Wolf will stick, if its a 5,56 chamber it wont 99.9 % of the time,the .223 has  tighter tolerence  even tho the steel wont expand like brass tolerences are tighter. it should only be used for training anyway.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 04:44:39 PM »
I'm glad DRTV saves posts.  Here's my story on Wolf .223 in my Sig 556. It was the ONLY ammo that gave me issues. I know some love it, but even at the range I want it to feed, lock the bolt back on the last round, and work as designed. I could even hear the difference between Wolf and Wally-World Rem. I staggered rounds in the mag and when the Wolf came up, it would FTFeed.

Plus, Gunney Ermey yelled at me. ;)  Its on the post below.

http://www.downrange.tv/forum/index.php?topic=1619.0

Me and a partner have split 1000rd. blocks of PMC from Midway 3 times. It's worked everytime, and I just don't shoot Wolf anymore.

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

gunman42782

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 05:20:23 PM »
If your AR is chambered for .223 Wolf will stick, if its a 5,56 chamber it wont 99.9 % of the time,the .223 has  tighter tolerence  even tho the steel wont expand like brass tolerences are tighter. it should only be used for training anyway.

My AR is a 5.56.
Life Member of the NRA

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2008, 08:47:13 PM »

I've never seen an AR that was just .223. Every one I've seen was either marked 5.56mm or 5.56mm/.223. Maybe someone makes an aftermarket .223 barrel for them but I haven't seen that either. 5.56mm in a .223 chamber is a SAAMI-listed dangerous combination anyway.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2008, 08:56:28 PM »

BTW, Jumbofrank, I have shot and had reloaded some of the WWII tin case .45 ammo over the years. It all worked in sub guns and M1911s -- recall that I spent 27+ years on active duty with the Army. I do not recommend reloading that tin case stuff -- I worry that it could scratch your die.

Thank you for you service. You're a better man than I to last that long. My friend Timmy used cut off pieces of the WWII steel cases to sleeve the chamber of one of his MAG-1 Carbines so he could shoot .45 ACP out of it. I don't know how well that worked but it's a real thumper in .45 Win Mag. You can sure tell it's not a .30 Carbine when you shoot those babies. ;D It didn't take much for me to have a bruised shoulder the next day either.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk