Author Topic: Gerber Multi-Tool, bad review  (Read 8406 times)

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Gerber Multi-Tool, bad review
« on: February 28, 2011, 10:03:39 PM »
Allright, I have had this thing for several months and I have tried real hard to like it. Basically, its a leatherman clone, only with Gerber steel (figure a bit better than average, but nothing earthshaking). Its also a lockblade, which set it ahead of the herd. At first glance its perfect. The thing is light, aluminum, titanium and stainless. Nothing to crack or rust. As a bonus, the handles have holes cut in them so washing out sand and crud is easy. Swirl it in a bucket or blast it with a hose and you are good. I got mine for less than $50 from Gander so the price is good and it has every sort of blade, saw, scissors and srew driver/bottle opener you could want.
The problem is the lock blade mechanism. The unlocking switches are small, slippery and stubborn. They don't always work, even if you wap your hands in a bandanna to get more traction.You can't reliably close the thing, particularly if your hands are wet or slimy (eg you've been fishing). Its great in theory, but this one is a fail. Any other ideas? :-\
FQ13 who tried to like the tool, but this dog won't hunt.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1103
Re: Gerber Multi-Tool, bad review
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 11:20:24 PM »
Is there any way of removing the lock without screwing it up?
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 11:31:49 PM »
Is there any way of removing the lock without screwing it up?
Dunno, its why I bought the thing. I figured it would be the ultimate salt water fishing tool. Twisting wire leaders, unhooking fish, cutting mono leaders/braided line, debarbing hooks, opening a beer, etc. Didn't work out that way. I'm not rich, but I'm also not going to waste a lot of time on a $50 knife. Hell, I can do the job with a pocket knife and a pair of el cheapo needlenose pliers from Wally world. I just liked the versatility of the multi-tool and figured I could multi task it in a bug out bag. Any ideas for a replacement?
FQ13

Timothy

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 05:16:46 AM »
I have two, both work flawlessly and have for many years.  One is an original that's seen salt water, fresh water, mud, dirt, sand, snow and was carried daily for ten years or more.

Send it back for a replacement and keep it lubricated.  It's a mechanism, it needs some slippy stuff!

CJS3

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 09:40:46 PM »
I've also had two. Worked one down to the "nubs" and figured it wasn't worth saving, so I wound up  throwing it away. The second is out in my truck glove box. Well used, but still servicable. The locking feature is what attracted me to the Gerber brand.
Children, pets, and slaves are taken care of. Free Men take care of themselves.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 10:10:49 AM »

droggsey

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 07:03:29 PM »
What model?  I have carried a Gerber 400 compact for six or seven years now and have never had any issues with it. In addition to the locking blade the pliers are one hand open and close. I am on my second one, TSA has the first one.

http://www.gerber-tools.com/Gerber-Multi-Plier-400-compact-sport-05500.htm

Timothy

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2011, 07:15:39 PM »
Gerber fishing story...

I'm at the lake, working a plug on the surface, a Zara Spook or something close.  I get a light strike and miss the bass.  I lean around the tree to get a better throw and lean into the cast with my baitcaster and let fly.  Before I finish the cast, I bury the treble hook into the back of head and it rips the rear treble clean out of the lure.  Not the first time I've done this but that's another story.

Anyway, I head to the hospital with the hook stuck in my scalp.  When I get into the see the Doc, he surveys the situation, numbs me a bit and decides he's gotta cut the hook somehow and push the barbed end through my scalp again to get it free.  So, I sit there for another half hour while the search the ER for a pair of wire cutters or something.  Finally, a nurse shows up with something like tile chippers and try as he might, he can't cut through the hook.

So, I pop out my Gerber, show him the wire cutters and say, "Hey Doc, will this work?"

A bath in alcohol and one cut later, a bit of pushing and I'm clear of the damn hook.  Quick tetanus shot and about half hour later, I'm back at the lake...

;D

deepwater

• SNIPE
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 03:38:56 PM »
I have two, both work flawlessly and have for many years.  One is an original that's seen salt water, fresh water, mud, dirt, sand, snow and was carried daily for ten years or more.

Send it back for a replacement and keep it lubricated.  It's a mechanism, it needs some slippy stuff!

I have the model you are talking about. just remember, with most of these tools you get what you pay for. Yes I payed 40.00 dollars for mine, but I also know that if/when it dies I can send it back and they will repair/ replace. Gerber is good like that. I carry it at work and it gets abused alot, but so far has been good to me. still in 1 piece and still cuts, squeezes, saw and opens bottles.  ;D (though I do have a bottle opener on my keychain I use instead) and as Timothy stated above, keep it slick, not with WD40, that stuff will dry out and leave it unprotected. try some light oil or even motor oil, just a drop in all the right places. Heck, use gun oil on it. and I'm sure you've noticed that even a good folding knife will give you trouble with opening closing when your hands are covered in fish shmeg.
anyway, happy fishing and I suggest you give the tool another chance.no tool is perfect in every way (except a bottle opener)  ;D

deepwater
YOU CAN TEACH A MONKEY HOW TO RIDE A BICYCLE: BUT YOU CAN'T TEACH HIM HOW TO FIX IT!!

Ping

• Top Forum Member
  • Glock Certified Armorer & NRA Certified Instructor
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 08:12:37 PM »
Love mine and had it a little over a year. After one summer of fishing, mine is beginning to rust. Still it is a great tool and absolutely love it. Gave my Father my Leatherman that I got in the Air Force. Prices are a bit more expensive in the civilian world. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk