Author Topic: Martial Blade Concepts Seminar in Omaha, NE  (Read 12308 times)

Michael Janich

• CO-HOST ON BEST DEFENSE
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Martial Blade Concepts Seminar in Omaha, NE
« on: January 31, 2011, 08:37:07 AM »
MBC Associate Instructor Christopher Doner will be presenting a seminar on the fundamental skills of the Martial Blade Concepts system on Saturday, Feb 5th. Chris is a lifelong martial artist with an extensive background and has been a dedicated student of MBC for almost 10 years. He has earned a Certificate of Proficiency in the system and Associate Instructor certification and does an outstanding job of faithfully presenting MBC to his students. I strongly urge anyone interested in learning more about MBC's methods to attend his seminar. Here are the details:

Introduction to Martial Blade Concepts

This course will provide step-by-step instruction in the fundamental skills of using a knife as a defensive weapon, including knife carry, high-speed deployment, recognition and identification of common street attacks, defensive responses, anatomical targeting and the realities of knife stopping power.

Saturday February 5th, 9am - 1pm
Tuition: $75.00

TOPICS OF INSTRUCTION
Carry and high-speed deployment of folding knives
Grips
Basic footwork
Angles of attack
Zones of defense
Anatomical targeting
Defensive responses - MBC 'go to' moves designed to stop an attacker quickly and decisively

If time and student aptitude permit, flow drills will be introduced.

*A folding training knife is highly recommended but not absolutely necessary. I will have some on hand to loan out to participants.

*Payment in full is required to hold a spot for this seminar. Payment must be received by January 28, 2011

*Space is limited

For more information please contact Christopher Doner via email at: kaze-group@cox.net.

Stay safe,

Mike

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1122
Re: Martial Blade Concepts Seminar in Omaha, NE
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 10:41:59 AM »
"Payment must be received by January 28, 2011". That was Friday.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 04:56:26 PM »

Sorry, couldn't help it,..... ::)

Thank you Michael, please post a 2011 schedule, especially if coming to Florida.
Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1122
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 06:25:07 PM »
The gun is mightier than the sword. I heard that scene wasn't written that way, Harrison Ford was just having a bad day.  :)
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Michael Janich

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 10:48:53 AM »
"Payment must be received by January 28, 2011". That was Friday.

Slots are still available.

Stay safe,

Mike

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 11:40:33 AM »

Michael Janich

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 11:26:00 AM »
The gun is mightier than the sword. I heard that scene wasn't written that way, Harrison Ford was just having a bad day.  :)

Harrison Ford was sick that day. He was supposed to fight the guy with the scimitar, but chose to "improvise." It was so good they kept it.

Unfortunately, most people don't pull out a sword and challenge you from 21+ feet away. There are plenty of videos of actual stabbing incidents out there that show how people with knives really attack: at close range and on their terms. Most shooting programs do not teach effective responses to this type of threat. Although it's fun to throw cliches around and do square range drills, speed rocking on a piece of cardboard is a waste of time.

Here's a slightly more realistic version of a knife attack. It's solved with a gun, but not before the attacker "scores" several times.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=f3b_1286227189

Stay safe,

Mike

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 894
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 09:29:54 PM »

Thank you Michael, please post a 2011 schedule, especially if coming to Florida.

What he said!  The Omaha class would be good for me but too short notice to know if I can do it.

A complete listing of classes as they come available, or a link we could follow would be helpful.

Thanks!
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Michael Janich

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 10:25:02 AM »

My schedule can be found on my web site on this page: http://www.martialbladeconcepts.com/schedule.htm. For easy reference, here it is as it stands right now. New events are added as they are confirmed.

Stay safe,

Mike

Michael Janich Seminar Schedule
The locations of my seminars are based on the support of motivated sponsors and hosts. Because of the demands of my full-time position with Spyderco and my involvement in The Best Defense and The Best Defense: Survival TV series, I have organized my 2011 schedule to offer training opportunities across the U.S. (and one in Canada) to make MBC as accessible as possible to everyone. In addition to my largest annual training event, Martial Blade Camp, I will also be organizing additional seminars in Colorado during 2011. Information on these events will be posted here as it becomes available.

Although I will still remain available for other seminars, that availability will be limited. Please contact me directly with inquiries regarding my availability. The seminar schedule posted here will remain the official listing of my teaching schedule.

For those interested in learning more about MBC or sponsoring a seminar in your area, I encourage you to contact my Certified, Associate, and Affiliate Instructors to organize training events with them. Contact information for MBC instructors is included on the Contact page of this web site.

2011 SCHEDULE OF EVENTS

4-6 March 2011, Zurich, Switzerland – Martial Blade Concepts and Combative Shooting
In this unique seminar event, Michael Janich will present progressive instruction in all aspects of the Martial Blade Concepts and Counter-Blade Concepts systems. Students will begin with instruction in the core skills of MBC, focusing on high-speed knife deployment, combative applications, and in-depth analysis of edged-weapon stopping power. Based on student aptitude and progress, this course will also introduce reflex training drills and other training methodologies, contrasting MBC methods with traditional FMA versions. Students will also gain an insight into the counter-knife skills of CBC and their application with the knife and against other types of ballistic and static weapon threats. This event will also include a closed-door, private training session for selected participants on Michael Janich’s system of handgun combatives, which draws from his training with the late Col. Rex Applegate. For more information, contact Edessa Ramos at Edessa@tntarnis.ch.

2-3 April 2011, Brookline, New Hampshire – The Northeast Shooter’s Summit
The Northeast Shooters Summit is a unique learning experience that features some of the tactical industry’s leading experts. Michael Janich will present instruction in the critical skills of the Martial Blade Concepts, focusing on the all-purpose De Cuerdas tactic and its ability to provide a single, easily learned defensive response to a wide variety of attack scenarios. Other instructors featured at this event will include Southnarc, Rob Pincus, Bill Lewitt, Chris Fry, William Aprill, Michael deBethencourt, and Andy Langlois. Instruction will include both firearms and contact-distance weapons. The cost to attend the Summit is $280.00. For registration information, please visit: www.neshooters.com/ or contact:

Neshooters, LLC
PO Box 688
Brookline, NH 03033
Telephone: 603-673-6105
Email: jim@neshooters.com or mike@neshooters.com

9-10 April 2011, Scottsdale, Arizona – Martial Blade Concepts/Improvised Weapons Seminar
This unique seminar, sponsored by Tuff-Writer Pens, will combine instruction in the critical skills of Michael Janich’s acclaimed Martial Blade Concepts curriculum with the practical defensive use of improvised weapons, including pens, flashlights, and similar objects. It will present comprehensive instruction in MBC’s standard-grip knife system and selected elements of the reverse-grip system. Using the skills and reflex training drills of these systems as a foundation, Janich will teach you how to identify the common body mechanics, leverages, patterns of motion, and reactive principles that serve as “common ground” to these skills and apply them with a variety of improvised weapons. This approach enables students to develop practical, usable, and highly retainable skills in a very short time and allows them to easily adapt these skills to different weapons and circumstances.

This seminar will be conducted at CrossFit Scottsdale, 14885 N. 83rd Place, Suite #102, Scottsdale, AZ 85260. For registration details and tuition information, please contact Jack Roman at Tuff-Writer Pens, 480-329-6105, jack@tuffwriter.com.

2-4 May 2011, Ft. Wayne, IN – Indiana SWAT Officers’ Association Conference
As one of the featured instructors at this tactical conference, Michael Janich will present instruction in the fundamental skills of Counter-Blade Concepts (CBC) and selected elements of the MBC system, including his approach to handgun retention both with and without edged weapons. This conference is limited to law enforcement, military, and government agency personnel. For more information please visit www.indianasoa.com.

23-24 July 2011, Los Angeles, CA – Martial Blade Concepts Progressive Knife Skills Seminar
In this two-day seminar, Michael Janich will present comprehensive instruction in the fundamental skills of his MBC system and expand on those skills to introduce progressive training methods that support higher skill development with edged and improvised weapons.

This course will provide step-by-step instruction in the fundamental skills of using a knife as a defensive weapon, including knife carry, high-speed deployment, recognition and identification of common street attacks, defensive responses, anatomical targeting, and the realities of knife stopping power. Building on this foundation, it will introduce progressive training methods and reflex training drills to accelerate skill development and combat reflexes. Finally, it will include detailed instruction in MBC's close-quarters reverse-grip system and the methods of adapting that system to improvised weapons, including kubotans, pens, and tactical flashlights.

This course will be conducted at the Burro Canyon Range (www.burrocanyon.com). Registration and tuition information are available from seminar organizer and Suarez International instructor Uli Gebhard. Please contact him directly at 714-726-6105 or uli@gebhardsolutions.com. Space is limited.

1-3 July 2011, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada – The Best Defense/Martial Blade Concepts “Street Skills” Seminar
Michael Janich’s “Street Skills” seminar is both a modular and an integrated approach to developing practical personal defense skills and defensive tactics skills for law enforcement and security personnel. Drawing from the skill sets highlighted in the popular Best Defense television show, it features instructional modules that focus on the defensive use of the knife (Janich’s acclaimed Martial Blade Concepts curriculum), practical unarmed skills (Damithurt Silat), empty-hand defenses against weapons (Counter-Blade Concepts), and practical joint-locking, restraint, and control tactics. These instructional modules will focus on these topics, while at the same time identifying and developing the body mechanics, leverages, patterns of motion, and reactive principles that serve as “common ground” to all of these skill sets. This approach enables students to develop practical, usable, and highly retainable skills in a very short time and allows them to easily adapt these skills to different weapons and circumstances.

The schedule of instructional modules and training tuition is as follows:

Friday, 1 July: Empty-hand defenses against knife, stick and other weapon attacks: Critical skills of Counter-Blade Concepts (CBC)

Saturday, 2 July: Introduction to the defensive use of the knife: A Crash Course in Martial Blade Concepts

Sunday, 3 July: Empty-hand tactics, restraint and control tactics, and “Junkyard Aikido”

For registration information and pricing, contact Sean Carter at smcarter@shaw.ca, or by phone at 780-554-9420 (cell) or 780-644-2380 (work).

26-29 August 2011, Martial Blade Camp 2011: YMCA of the Rockies, Estes Park, Colorado
The eighth annual Martial Blade Camp will present 36 hours of instruction in all aspects of the MBC and CBC curricula. Providing a comprehensive "crash course" in the MBC/CBC system, this training event is designed to enhance the skills of both advanced practitioners and first-time participants. The 2011 event will focus on hard-core skill development, practical street applications, and advanced training methodologies. The price is $875.00 per person for double-occupancy lodging or $1,050.00 per person for single-occupancy lodging. This price includes full participation in all training, lodging, meals, and access to all YMCA activities. All camp participants will also receive several souvenir items including a commemorative knife and an embroidered camp shirt.

Registration for the camp requires the completion of a liability waiver and a deposit of $300.00. To request a copy of the waiver, please e-mail info@martialbladeconcepts.com or call 303-995-8848. The deadline for standard registration is 1 June 2011. For more information, please consult the MBC Camp page on this web site.

Fall 2011 (Date to Be Determined), Grove City, Ohio – The Best Defense/Martial Blade Concepts "Street Skills" Seminar
Michael Janich's "Street Skills" seminar is both a modular and an integrated approach to developing practical personal defense skills. Drawing from the skill sets highlighted in the popular "The Best Defense" television show, it features instructional modules that focus on the defensive use of the knife (Janich's acclaimed Martial Blade Concepts curriculum), practical unarmed skills (Damithurt Silat), empty-hand defenses against weapons (Counter-Blade Concepts), and the defensive use of impact weapons, including flashlights, tactical pens, sticks, and canes. These instructional modules will focus on these topics, while at the same time identifying and developing the body mechanics, leverages, patterns of motion, and reactive principles that serve as "common ground" to all of these skill sets. This approach enables students to develop practical, usable, and highly retainable skills in a very short time and allows them to easily adapt these skills to different weapons and circumstances.

This seminar will be conducted at Grove City Karate, 4068 Hoover Rd., Grove City, OH 43123. Once further details concerning course dates are confirmed, you can register by contacting Dave Holloway at (614) 539-5425.

11-13 November 2011, MBC on the Beach, Virginia Beach, VA
In this seminar, Michael Janich will present comprehensive instruction in the fundamental skills of his MBC system and expand on those skills to introduce progressive training methods that support higher skill development with edged and improvised weapons.

This course will provide step-by-step instruction in the fundamental skills of using a knife as a defensive weapon, including knife carry, high-speed deployment, recognition and identification of common street attacks, defensive responses, anatomical targeting, and the realities of knife stopping power. Building on this foundation, it will introduce progressive training methods and reflex training drills to accelerate skill development and combat reflexes. Finally, it will include detailed instruction in MBC's close-quarters reverse-grip system and the methods of adapting that system to improvised weapons, including kubotans, pens, and tactical flashlights.

Registration details will be posted soon.

5thprofession47

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 05:13:10 PM »
Mike,

Thanks again for helping get the word out.

If anyone is in or near Omaha and would like to attend please contact me via email:
kaze-group@cox.net

I have a few spots avaialble.

-Christopher Doner
MBC Certified Instructor

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk