Author Topic: The best edged tools?  (Read 16884 times)

Glockman Parker

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: The best edged tools?
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2011, 03:23:54 PM »
I received it today. I'll post a review as soon as I get time to take it into the woods for a test run. It's a beast for sure!!

Nice! Who makes it? Or did I miss that?
Stay safe!
Larry

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1103
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2011, 04:01:49 PM »
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2011, 04:59:33 PM »
The biggest kukri, the regimental one, is supposed to be able to behead a water buffalo in one whack.  :o
I think we have Haz jr.'s Christmas worked out. ;D
FQ13

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2011, 06:36:57 PM »
Maybe he would like to give a blowgun a try!

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

bryand71

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2011, 08:01:35 PM »
Just got done looking through Grayman knives website and I want one of their knives now! Of course I will have to wait till I can afford one... sucks being broke. 2 thumbs up on this line of knives!
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen." [Samuel Adams]

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 10:14:28 AM »

84B20

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2011, 11:11:31 PM »
I bought an Al Mar 10" survival knife in the early '90s but sold it because it was bigger than I thought practical for back country travel.  It was one of the last knives produced before Al Mar died so there was a collectable value to it as well and decided to sell it.  After some research, I discovered Chris Reeve knives and bought one of their Nkonka models.  I really like the fact that it is made from a solid billet of steel and is very durable.  I had a bad experience with a Ka-bar in the service while on duty in Viet Nam.  I had one break at the hilt so I am very concerned as to how strong a knife is.

NRA Life Member, JPFO member, NAGR member, 2nd Amendment Foundation member and Life Member of Vietnam Veterans of America, Chapter 996

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2011, 10:17:37 AM »
I bought an Al Mar 10" survival knife in the early '90s but sold it because it was bigger than I thought practical for back country travel.  It was one of the last knives produced before Al Mar died so there was a collectable value to it as well and decided to sell it.  After some research, I discovered Chris Reeve knives and bought one of their Nkonka models.  I really like the fact that it is made from a solid billet of steel and is very durable.  I had a bad experience with a Ka-bar in the service while on duty in Viet Nam.  I had one break at the hilt so I am very concerned as to how strong a knife is.

Nice looking blade. What are the dimensions? Also how is the grip? I'm generally not a fan of metal handles. I like something sticky, and failing that, wood or bone. Honestly the strenghth seems like a huge plus. Downside is that if I were using it for anything serious I'd be half tempted to put a little skateboard tape on the handle (just from looking at it). What's your take?
FQ13

84B20

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2011, 11:42:25 AM »
The knife is about 12" long, the blade is about 6 1/2" and the handle has a very secure grip surface, much like my Les Baer 1911.  I don't know the exact lines per inch but I guess somewhere between 20 to 30 lpi.  It weighs in at almost exactly one pound, that is a lot of steel. The only downside to the knife is that they were discontinued a while back because Chris's partner, the one who designed it, retired.  They have other great quality knives though.
NRA Life Member, JPFO member, NAGR member, 2nd Amendment Foundation member and Life Member of Vietnam Veterans of America, Chapter 996

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk