Author Topic: Does a gimmick breed devotion?  (Read 19368 times)

tombogan03884

Re: Does a gimmick breed devotion?
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2011, 10:12:59 AM »
A cane is a lot harder to conceal. Granted, it is looked at in a different light by most people and won't be concealed.
While a cane can "break bones" even a smallish knife can make those bones unuseable.

A slash to the deltoid will make it impossible to raise your arm.
A slash to the inner aspect of your wrist flexors will make it impossible to hold a weapon in that hand.
A cut across your quads will make that leg quite useless for mobility. (the mobility "kill")

All these have been addressed by MJ in TBD shows.
The cane is indeed a valuable weapon but why carry a cane I don't need when I carry a Benchmade auto EVERYWHERE. Yes, I know there are certain states that I can't carry my favorite auto knife. I then carry my favorite non-auto Benchmade. (along with my favorite CCW auto)

Can you take them on a plane ?   
Just call me "Gimpy"   ;D

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2011, 12:55:04 PM »
Tried the TDI on the recommendation of a retired LEO.  Gave it a chance and found it too awkward for me.

YMMV

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2011, 01:45:25 PM »
I carry a knife, cane and a few concealed handguns.

I consider the knife a last resort, where the conflict started with the attacker so close the cane could not be deployed and using a gun might be difficult.

The cane does offer some advantages over both the gun and the knife...well, it offers advantages when it is used in cobination with the gun anyway.

My hand is always on the cane when I am moving and my had is usually on a gun if possible.

I carry the cane in my off hand and it can be "deployed" by lifting my wrist.  Even if only pointed and waved about a bit at an approaching threat, it will be where their focus is and they will act to neutralize it during which time, you can deploy your hand gun.  

I see is as a diversion when I have access to a handgun and the primary weapon if I don't.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

JdePietro

• M14 Patterned Protagonist
  • Top Forum Member
  • "Neither Spare nor Dispose"
    • Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2011, 08:24:54 AM »
I carry a TDI on my duty belt for work, I also carry a Mantis Isosolese for utilitarian type work. I feel the TDI ballances some of the draw backs that a full out karambit has ie stabbing but still offers that easy reflexive slash motion. The Karambit has its draw backs as any blade does but the training opertunities for it are greater than say a buck knife.

So far I am enjoying the comments.
How vain it is to sit down to write when you have not stood up to live.
-Henry David Thoreau

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2011, 03:57:02 PM »

And don't get me started on serrated blades.    >:(
Here I disagree. Climbing, camping, sailing and boating have taught me that a serrated blade will go through a rope a whole lot quicker than a straight edge. Sometimes cutting a rope quickly can be the difference between having a good story to tell over beers and that other thing, particularly when you climb ;). Since I no longer climb or sail I tend to carry either a plain edge or half serrated. Its a trade off, but it does have its use. If don't need to cut rope or seat belts or the like, I'd go straight edge for ease of sharpening and their ability to do fine work like filleting or skinning, but don't diss a serrated knife. It has its place.
FQ13

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 10:55:51 PM »

kmitch200

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2011, 11:31:18 PM »
Here I disagree. Climbing, camping, sailing and boating have taught me that a serrated blade will go through a rope a whole lot quicker than a straight edge. Sometimes cutting a rope quickly can be the difference between having a good story to tell over beers and that other thing, particularly when you climb ;). Since I no longer climb or sail I tend to carry either a plain edge or half serrated. Its a trade off, but it does have its use. If don't need to cut rope or seat belts or the like, I'd go straight edge for ease of sharpening and their ability to do fine work like filleting or skinning, but don't diss a serrated knife. It has its place.
FQ13

I wholeheartedly agree. All my Benchmade's but one has the half 'n half blades. Serrated when I want it, regular for when I don't.
You can say lots of bad things about pedophiles; but at least they drive slowly past schools.

JC5123

• Top Forum Member
  • Fortune sides with him who dares.
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2011, 01:56:51 PM »
+1

I have a number of serrated blade knives and they pretty much stay in a box now. A good plain edged knife is useful, no snag and easy to sharpen. I use a knife nearly every day and not to fight. If I have to, I'll fight with whatever I've got, but the knife is truly the most useful tool, besides the brain.

This is for Tom also, as you guys probably know serrated blades have but one purpose. Cutting rope. For this reason I love serrated blades. Being a kayaker and a climber, I always carry a half serrated blade. However for ANY other purpose I think they are pretty much junk and will take a straight edge. 
I am a member of my nation's chosen soldiery.
God grant that I may not be found wanting,
that I will not fail this sacred trust.

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2011, 02:25:06 PM »
This is for Tom also, as you guys probably know serrated blades have but one purpose. Cutting rope. For this reason I love serrated blades. Being a kayaker and a climber, I always carry a half serrated blade. However for ANY other purpose I think they are pretty much junk and will take a straight edge.  

Are you letting Tom know in case he decided to just cut them down and not worry about reusing the noose?

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

JC5123

• Top Forum Member
  • Fortune sides with him who dares.
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2011, 05:04:42 PM »
Are you letting Tom know in case he decided to just cut them down and not worry about reusing the noose?

Basically yes.  ;D
I am a member of my nation's chosen soldiery.
God grant that I may not be found wanting,
that I will not fail this sacred trust.

tombogan03884

« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2011, 06:58:40 PM »
Let them hang till they fall down, the only use I have for a serrated blade is on steak, and then only if I'm someplace that I'd get funny looks using my Kershaw.  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk