Author Topic: Took a tour of Benchmade last night  (Read 8907 times)

Magoo541

• Bryan Munson
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Took a tour of Benchmade last night
« on: October 27, 2011, 10:57:07 AM »
I'm a member of the Society of Manufacturing Engineers and our local chapter took a tour of their facility followed by some networking time at Izzy's.   
We started out in their showroom, I couldn't get over to the Gold section but there were plenty of other knives to drool over.  We moved to a conference room upstairs where DJ, our Chapter Chair, did the intro and overview of Benchmade before introducing Les, the owner and founder.  Les is a great guy and spent about an hour answering our questions on a wide variety of topics.  After presenting Les with a certificate of appreciation we split into 3 groups of 5 and headed off to the various areas of the plant.  My group started out in the automation and assembly area, then circled back to the blank cutting area and ended our tour with the CNC Machining area.  I won't go into detail about what I saw but let's just say Shot Show is coming up soon.  We all met up at Izzy's for food, beverage and social networking, the kind we used to do before Facebook. This was my first SME event and I had a great time, met some great people and learned some too.
He who dares wins.  SAS

tombogan03884

Re: Took a tour of Benchmade last night
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 11:17:22 AM »
You probably just joined the" Billt, KPR we all hate you club".  ;D
Sounds like a very interesting evening.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 11:25:50 AM »
How many knives did you wind up buying? ;)
FQ13

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1103
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 02:46:28 PM »
I have two Benchmade Bali-Songs. Excellent craftsmanship.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 455
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 04:15:46 PM »
<extremely jealous - button>

Very neat.  Too bad you couldn't take pictures. 

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 05:29:23 AM »

Timothy

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 04:18:33 PM »
Cool stuff...

While I understand the need to make some of their products in Asia to remain competitive I really appreciate the amount of their knives that are made right here which is nearly all of them.

Nice neighbor to have Magoo...

Magoo541

• Bryan Munson
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 06:15:06 PM »
Cool stuff...

While I understand the need to make some of their products in Asia to remain competitive I really appreciate the amount of their knives that are made right here which is nearly all of them.

Nice neighbor to have Magoo...
Acutally all Benchmade knives are made in the USA, in fact most parts are made in house-they buy their screws.  To offer lower price point knives they have the Harley Davidson and HK brands.

Didn't buy any new knives, almost left my EDC there to get the free sharpening but didn't.  JD and I talked at Izzy's and I will be buying some new knives here soon, I would say Christmas presents but I won't be giving them to anyone  ;D

Funniest question of the night was to Les- "Can your customers tell the difference between a Benchmade and say a Gerber?"  I had to chime in and let the young man know that yes we can and sent some mental daggers...

The area for their Gold Knives, production customs if you will, was pretty cool.  It had the same work stations as the other work lines but none of the production  stuff. And it had a differnt feeling to it, almost shrine like, maybe because I knew the craftsmanship that normally occupied the chairs.  Cool stuff, good group of guys and no women  ;D
He who dares wins.  SAS

Timothy

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 06:40:28 PM »
I stand corrected, I thought their Red class of knives was imported but it appears from the site that they've discontinued that line and all their knives are domestic.

Even cooler!

;D

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 455
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 08:58:23 PM »
They didn't stop making the Red line.   They just re-branded them  to the HK and HD names.  That way they can say, all Benchmade "branded" knives are US made.  A pity, as I really like the Pikka design.  But at the blade show they offered me a great deal to upgrade from their older Red line.  I took them up on it and have been very happy with my McHenry-Williams designed folder.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

kmitch200

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2011, 12:34:04 AM »
You probably just joined the" Billt, KPR we all hate you club".  ;D
Sounds like a very interesting evening.

I'll second that motion. 

After carrying nothing but Benchmade's for many, many years, I am really jealous.  :P
Sounds like a neat tour.

You can say lots of bad things about pedophiles; but at least they drive slowly past schools.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk