Author Topic: Best guns to defend your business  (Read 12990 times)

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
Re: Best guns to defend your business
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2014, 01:43:29 PM »
Staying with the shotgun, but Haz is right.  Small gauge.

In this scenario I see range as a "con". 

Also, only 1 of the 4 has any stated experience with a fire arm, so even if AR's and hand guns were allowed, they would be more difficult to fire effectively even at close range.

This is a defensive situation. Everyone will be inside and should be behind any "cover that is available..counters, boxes, what ever.

Empty any window display items so that any looting will need to be done inside. 

You might loose the big windows, but that is better than standing outside and trying to defend them.

Anyone comes in they die. 

Large ammo capacity is not likely to be needed...this is not an assault, just looting..and they will be deterred when the first guy in is dead or bleeding out in the store front.  You will likely have plenty of time to reload between attempts, if there is another attempt with, with dead bodies showing what they can expect.

And you don't want to risk hitting folks not trying to enter the shop, both for legal and moral reasons, so the less range the better.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

tombogan03884

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2014, 01:49:26 PM »
I would not recommend any Gauge other than 12 or 20.
Ammo capacity is limited so you want the most coverage possible per shot.
Also, the stove pipe type barrels of 12 and 20 gauge have an intimidation factor lacking in 410.

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2014, 01:54:45 PM »
Don't really know much about the effectiveness of a .410.  I hunted with both 12 and 20s, but have never even shot a .410.

In my mind, they would never get to see the barrel, just the muzzle flash if they happened to be looking that way.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2014, 01:27:49 PM »
I would not recommend any Gauge other than 12 or 20.
Ammo capacity is limited so you want the most coverage possible per shot.
Also, the stove pipe type barrels of 12 and 20 gauge have an intimidation factor lacking in 410.

Rule of  thumb is 1" spread per yard from a shotgun regardless of gauge / caliber so 12, 20 or 410 ain't gonna spread much in room distance. (of course if you have an SBR it may vary)
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2014, 02:56:16 PM »
Load size would vary...so the "smaller" gauge would deliver more energy.

Here as elsewhere, it might be wise to pick the largest size you can handle reliablelly.

Non-magnum shells should do fine.  The self defense loads are usually lighter.

—Patrick Henry

— Daniel Webster

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 10:23:04 PM »

brushmore

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2014, 05:00:13 PM »
Don't really know much about the effectiveness of a .410.  I hunted with both 12 and 20s, but have never even shot a .410.

With modern defensive loads in .410 I would not discount it.   A .410 will have the same velocity of the 12, just a smaller pattern.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2014, 06:41:10 PM »
the only difference between the ga is the amount of shot.   other wise they are identical.  a lead pellet traveling xxx fps does not care. 
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

tombogan03884

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2014, 06:45:11 AM »
Shot gun shot spreads at the same rate regardless of gage,
http://www.luckygunner.com/shotgun/12-gauge-ammo-shells
12 G # 8 shot, 1 1/8 oz
http://www.luckygunner.com/shotgun/20-gauge-ammo-shells
20 g #8  7/8ths OZ
http://www.luckygunner.com/shotgun/410-ammo-shells
410 #9 1/2 OZ

They did not list 20 G OO Buck but for 12 G it was 9 pellets, for 410 it was 3 pellets.
With an equal spread at an equal distance it is mathematically ridiculous to say .410 is just as effective as 12 G.

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2014, 10:09:50 AM »
In a 3" .410 there are 5 00 buckshot.

In a 3" 12 g there are 15 00 buckshot

Not that I recommend 3" shells, but that is the size I found to compare.

So, roughly, a 12 g has 3 times the "impact" of a .410 at the same velocity.

If 5 buckshot has a high chance of getting the job done, .410 sounds acceptable.

If, on the other hand, the 15 buckshot make a significant difference in effectiveness, go for as big as you can handle.
—Patrick Henry

— Daniel Webster

tombogan03884

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2014, 12:53:33 PM »
If 5 is good 15 is better, that's why they invented machine guns.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk