Author Topic: Movie thread  (Read 26189 times)

Timothy

Re: Movie thread
« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2020, 01:10:39 PM »
"gedunk". Now there is a word I haven't heard for a while. Ex-navy??
Good ole gedunk machines!

Aye!

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1107
« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2020, 01:54:20 AM »
Cinemark Movie Club gave me a free 1 month membership again. I wanted to see the new Star Wars movie in 3D and would have paid the upcharge from my 2D movie pass. But it said no passes when I looked at the movie theater's site. When I checked on tickets to see it in 2D it also said no passes. Now they'll take passes but aren't showing it in 3D. I have to cancel my membership by Sunday night so I don't get billed for another month on Monday. Who knows, I just may see a Star Wars movie at the theater for once in my life, instead of on VHS or my computer.

My nearest movie theater could show more movies in 3D or a larger variety of movies if they weren't showing some unheard of Indian movies in Hindi, Telugu, and Tamil. There must be more Indian doctors and convenience store clerks in Flint than I thought. I wonder if there are enough Indians here to open up a U.S. based customer support center? It sure looks that way. Wikipedia says Hindi, Telugu and Tamil are the 1st, 4th and 5th most spoken first languages in India. Why not show movies in Bengali and Marathi too? The most spoken first languages here are Ebonics, English, and Spanish. Thankfully the movies aren't in Ebonics. I go to the movies to get away from it.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 83
« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2020, 09:13:18 AM »
As to movie gedunk, I can't afford the $15-18 bucks for the movie let alone the exorbitant cost of the junk food... there are too few movies worth that cost these days!

I went to see Ford vs. Ferrari last month - first time I'd been in a theater for a while. Had to see it first in the theater, listening to the roar of the cars (dubbed apparently as the cars they were using were 6-cylinder repros) and watching the cars go zoom around the tracks. Nicely interspersed with real footage from the 60" impressively cleaned up for modern HD.

Tickets were less than $7 each and no, we didn't buy any of the theater's food, so we got out for way less than $20!
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

Timothy

Movie thread
« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2020, 09:16:39 AM »
I went to see Ford vs. Ferrari last month

I would like to see that too but Matt Damon kills it for me...

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 83
« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2020, 12:52:17 PM »

Actually, that almost killed it for me too, having watched Ol' Shel in action. BUT, Damon actually did a credible job portraying him - toned down of course! He also was too pretty, and a cowboy hat didn't look good on him. But still . . .

As for Christian Bale as Ken Miles, I was totally blown away by his portrayal. Only thing the movie people did not do was (1) put a nose prosthesis on him (for the uninitiated, Ken had a real honker of a nose), and (2) didn't even attempt to recreate the J-car that killed him. Mind you, Ken, along with Scotsman Jimmy Clark, were my early teen heroes in GT and F1 racing.

1966 and 1968 were really tough years for me. In less than 2 years, the racing world had lost 2 of the best drivers ever, and I lost my 2 heroes.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

Sponsor

« Reply #55 on: Today at 01:31:22 PM »

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1046
« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2020, 12:54:39 PM »

Same here.

I give the guy credit for being a fairly good actor....but like many others of his ilk, that is ALL he is, someone who gets paid to play make-believe......but that smugness he projects just makes me turn the channel when his movies come on the TV (except the True Grit re-make, I tolerate that one).

If America went back to treating actors like they did before the late 19th century Hollywood would be tolerable.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Jim Kennedy-ar154me

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1447
« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2020, 07:27:08 AM »
Have any of you seen 1917 yet? I am interested but haven't gone. I am not sure it is worth getting in the crowds of idiots around a movie theater.
The time for action is upon us and the enemy is at our gates. Let us not allow them one more inch of advancement but instead throw them through the gates of Hell.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2020, 07:44:28 AM »
Same here.

I give the guy credit for being a fairly good actor....but like many others of his ilk, that is ALL he is, someone who gets paid to play make-believe......but that smugness he projects just makes me turn the channel when his movies come on the TV (except the True Grit re-make, I tolerate that one).

If America went back to treating actors like they did before the late 19th century Hollywood would be tolerable.
the list of actors i will watch is so much smaller than the ones i won't.

I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1107
« Reply #58 on: January 17, 2020, 11:30:43 PM »
Have any of you seen 1917 yet? I am interested but haven't gone. I am not sure it is worth getting in the crowds of idiots around a movie theater.

No, but I read that the way it was filmed makes it look like they got it all in one take. I found that interesting.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Jim Kennedy-ar154me

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1447
« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2020, 07:55:48 AM »
No, but I read that the way it was filmed makes it look like they got it all in one take. I found that interesting.

I didn't know that. To me, that would make it more realistic. I guess I am going to have to "Brave" the crowds and go see it. Thanks.
The time for action is upon us and the enemy is at our gates. Let us not allow them one more inch of advancement but instead throw them through the gates of Hell.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk