Author Topic: What About Our Favorite Scatter Guns ?  (Read 10366 times)

Conagher 45

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
What About Our Favorite Scatter Guns ?
« on: October 09, 2011, 06:13:12 PM »
I have noticed we have a place to discuss our Handguns , Tactical Rifles and Carbines and what we load for them but what about our shotguns? I have been stashing some $$ away all year long to buy a new or good used scatter gun this fall or winter but I'm in kind of a pickle on what to go for. (Like I need another Shotgun)

12 gague , Auto Loader with 3 1/2" chamber.

Super Vinci ?
SX3 ?
Remington Versamax ?
Maxus ?
Mossberg 935 ?

Would like to have some dicussion on these. I know ther has to be some Clay shooters here too.
There is room for all of God's creatures ....., That would be on my plate right next to the taters and gravy.

kmitch200

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
Re: What About Our Favorite Scatter Guns ?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 11:41:15 AM »
What will be the main use of the gun? 

Some experts see the 3 1/2" 12ga as definitely not needed today.
It came about when steel shot was mandated but with denser than lead non-toxic shot being developed, 3" mags will provide even more punch than lead that has been used for decades without beating the shooter to death.
You can say lots of bad things about pedophiles; but at least they drive slowly past schools.

Conagher 45

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 07:34:49 PM »
What will be the main use of the gun? 

Some experts see the 3 1/2" 12ga as definitely not needed today.
It came about when steel shot was mandated but with denser than lead non-toxic shot being developed, 3" mags will provide even more punch than lead that has been used for decades without beating the shooter to death.

You just brought a good point to light that I over looked. Just want to have a 3 1/2 semi-auto in my battery in case of a chance for waterfowl or heavy turkey loads if needed. Mostley 2 3/4 would ran trough it with the thought being that if it tamed down 3 1/2 the recoil on 200 rounds of 2 3/4 would be a non-issue and the range. But then again I do have lust in my heart for a .20/.28 gauge upalnder combo from Stoeger.
There is room for all of God's creatures ....., That would be on my plate right next to the taters and gravy.

Timothy

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 07:48:14 PM »
I'm no expert but I've shot a few rounds through a shotgun and some of the autoloaders won't cycle with 2-3/4 loads if they're chambered for the heavier stuff.  My SIL has a Benelli clone from Stoeger with their current rotating bolt design and it will not cycle with anything smaller than a 3" mag load.

I've never needed anything larger than 2-3/4 for my needs but then I won't go after goose or high altitude dove either.  Turkey are better hunted with a golf club out here than a shotgun.  I've never seen a turkey while hunting but they're crapping all over the golf courses...

kmitch200

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 08:18:54 PM »
I'm no expert but I've shot a few rounds through a shotgun and some of the autoloaders won't cycle with 2-3/4 loads if they're chambered for the heavier stuff.  My SIL has a Benelli clone from Stoeger with their current rotating bolt design and it will not cycle with anything smaller than a 3" mag load.

I've never needed anything larger than 2-3/4 for my needs but then I won't go after goose or high altitude dove either.  Turkey are better hunted with a golf club out here than a shotgun.  I've never seen a turkey while hunting but they're crapping all over the golf courses...

On the last Gun Nuts episode Phil B did a new gun test of the Rem Versamax.
It cycled everything from 3 1/2s to pink 1 1/8oz clay loads. The gas is not bled off at the mag ring on the barrel like my 11-87, it is bled off in the chamber.
The longer shell covering up more ports so less gas is bled off to cycle. The 3"leaves more ports open and 2 3/4" shells leave even more open. I would worry about this new gun like I worry about any new release though.... 

As for the turkeys, may I suggest a 5 iron?   ;)

You can say lots of bad things about pedophiles; but at least they drive slowly past schools.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 05:08:48 PM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 10:10:16 PM »
I'm no expert but I've shot a few rounds through a shotgun and some of the autoloaders won't cycle with 2-3/4 loads if they're chambered for the heavier stuff.  My SIL has a Benelli clone from Stoeger with their current rotating bolt design and it will not cycle with anything smaller than a 3" mag load.

I've never needed anything larger than 2-3/4 for my needs but then I won't go after goose or high altitude dove either.  Turkey are better hunted with a golf club out here than a shotgun. I've never seen a turkey while hunting but they're crapping all over the golf courses...

Most semi autos the gas can be adjusted by a gunsmith or some one who knows about screwing with the gas rings.
Turkeys are smart, they get out of the woods when all those flatlander azzholes are running around.

Dakotaranger

• Happiness is a 1911 in your hand
  • Top Forum Member
    • Dakotaranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2011, 11:46:16 PM »
After I ran a couple boxes of the 3 in rounds through my Stoeger it'll feed anything.  But it doesn't take the 3 1/2 mag loads though
"One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them." --Thomas Jefferson, letter to George Washington, 1796

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1046
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 03:05:15 PM »
My absolute favorite hunting shotguns are the Ithaca M37 Featherweights (another JMB-based co-design).
Can't beat 'em, IMHO.

I also have a fondness for the Remington 1100 in the auto-loader category.

For two-legged predators, I have a pair of Winchester 1300 Defenders......8 rounds each.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Timothy

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011, 03:12:32 PM »

Most semi autos the gas can be adjusted by a gunsmith or some one who knows about screwing with the gas rings.
Turkeys are smart, they get out of the woods when all those flatlander azzholes are running around.

I let my SIL know that, thanks!

I've never actually hunted for turkey but when I'm in the woods hunting, I've never seen one.  They are pretty bright birds in the wild but domestic turkeys are about a dumb as democrats...

;D

blackwolfe

• A Simple Man
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2011, 05:16:21 PM »
My absolute favorite hunting shotguns are the Ithaca M37 Featherweights (another JMB-based co-design).
Can't beat 'em, IMHO.

I also have a fondness for the Remington 1100 in the auto-loader category.

For two-legged predators, I have a pair of Winchester 1300 Defenders......8 rounds each.

Plus one on the Ithaca.
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. "    Abraham Lincoln

Wolfe

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk