Author Topic: The Next Build  (Read 33485 times)

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1112
Re: The Next Build
« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2015, 10:01:33 AM »
I may get a couple of the horizontal display racks they sell. They look perfect for non gun weapons too. http://www.verticalgunracks.com/store/p5/Display_Rack.html
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 458
« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2015, 07:52:12 PM »
So the Levang comp.  How much flash?  How much noise?   I recorded some video this week.  You be the judge.   Remember, I'm thinking in a close quarters encounter, flash-and-bang are not a bad thing.  If the perp isn't sure he's hit, at least his ears and eyes will be telling him it isn't wise to get any closer.

The video:  The first two sequences are testing with only two rounds.   Then an 9 round sequence.  The camera is only recording one picture every 1/30 of a second, so it doesn't always correspond to the exact moment of maximum flash.  (Okay 29.97fps for you purists.)

Listen to the guys on the other bay, other side of the room, chattering.  They stop after my first shot.

The Slo-mo segment is only recorded at 30 frames per second as well then slowed down.  This isn't Shooting Gallery with their 12,000 fps camera, so again, some flashes don't get captured, but I thought you'd like it.

Not the biggest or brightest, but an example of the muzzle flash caught in a single frame.

[UPDATED 5/14 ~5pm]

Here's a better picture at the moment of maximum muzzle flash.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

tombogan03884

« Reply #52 on: May 14, 2015, 06:28:43 AM »
Seems like the laser is slowing down your follow up shots.
Looks like you could get 2nd shot off lots faster with iron sights.
It's something I've noticed at the Range, people lose a LOT time waiting for the dot to settle down.
Of course it's about the most unstable platform possible with more than one hand so the dot will never stabalize.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
« Reply #53 on: May 14, 2015, 06:39:14 AM »
Your AR pistol sounds a lot like my Bushmaster Carbon 15 Model 21-S. Big fireball with lots of noise to go with it. If you miss they'll run away deaf and scared!  ;D

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: May 14, 2015, 07:14:19 AM »
If you miss they'll run away deaf and scared!  ;D

++++
Will work for ammo

Sponsor

« Reply #55 on: Today at 05:25:44 AM »

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: May 14, 2015, 07:19:49 AM »
.....people lose a LOT time waiting for the dot to settle down.

Or just finding the dot.    Especially when there is large difference in the distance of the target and the backstop.
Will work for ammo

tombogan03884

« Reply #56 on: May 14, 2015, 07:54:49 AM »
It is often compared to a video game, but it isn't, it is much more difficult.
I think I'd prefer iron sights.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
« Reply #57 on: May 14, 2015, 08:19:20 AM »
I think I'd prefer iron sights.

Chuck never needed any sights.

tombogan03884

« Reply #58 on: May 14, 2015, 08:31:46 AM »
;D

He also didn't hit anything. 

;D

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #59 on: May 14, 2015, 09:15:56 AM »
In using the LASER, I ALWAYS use the same hold and sight acquisition I do with iron sights (when possible), I just don't focus on the sights...the dot is always close to where I am pointing.  If you have time and are in a position to bring the weapon up for aimed iron sight fire, the laser will be in the same place and quicker than (for my eyes) trying to find the sights.  And you don't have to wait for the dot to settle down.  Not bulls eye shooting here.  The iron sight picture doesn't settle down any quicker..you just can't see it wobble and accept "enter of mass" as your target.

If you cannot bring the weapon to "aimed fire" position, you still have a chance of spotting where the dot is, no chance if you are using any other sighting system...iron or red dot.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk