Author Topic: Just for fun - "Rules of Thumb"  (Read 6332 times)

Timothy

Re: Just for fun - "Rules of Thumb"
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2009, 01:26:45 PM »
Don't care for Harry's politics but this was always a good one.

"Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day.”

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 457
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2014, 09:40:44 AM »
So I have made a new Truism, a new Rule of Thumb.

Besides the old standards:  Don't mess with the mask of the Lone Ranger.  Don't tug on Superman's cape.  Don't spit (or for that matter propel any bodily fluids) into the wind.  And NFL (No Free Lunch).

The there's the old Alfer's most famous ROT:   Never buy guns or ammo at a place that sells tennis balls.

So yesterday at Home Depot, trying to figure out which glue was the old standard plastic airplane glue.  With the obsession over substance abuse (let's not relate this thread to the coffee and Bourbon thread), it's hard to know which of the varied glues is "the real thing".

Here's what I found out. 

You know you have the right glue if they require you to show an ID.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1110
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2014, 01:01:20 PM »
TANSTAAFL

"Gospodin," he said presently, "you used an odd word earlier--odd to me, I mean..."

"Oh, 'tanstaafl.' Means ~There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.' And isn't," I added, pointing to a FREE LUNCH sign across room, "or these drinks would cost half as much. Was reminding her that anything free costs twice as much in long run or turns out worthless."

"An interesting philosophy."

"Not philosophy, fact. One way or other, what you get, you pay for."

From The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, by Robert Heinlein.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

bulldog75

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2014, 11:07:14 PM »
Bring a gun to a gun fight. Call a friend with a gun and have them bring friends with guns.

If your ambush is going great the enemy flanked you.

Friendly fire is not friendly.

Screw the eyes, hands kill, watch the hands.

Be polite, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

Citizens sleep peacfully at night knowing that rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf - George Orwell

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2014, 03:49:14 AM »
After 60 :

Never waste a hard on.

Never pass up a bathroom.

And never trust a fart.

Jack Nicholson in "The Bucket List".

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 04:02:16 PM »

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2014, 12:10:51 AM »
If you’re not shootin’, you should be loadin’. If you’re not loadin, you should be movin’, if you’re not movin’, someone’s gonna cut your head off and put it on a stick.~ Clint Smith
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

crusader rabbit

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2014, 06:51:52 AM »
I was going to purchase some inexpensive cookware to use on a small sailboat I'd just bought.  The old guy who sold the boat said:  If you buy right, you only pay once;  If you buy cheap, you pay every time you use it.

Another truism:  If it's got wings, wheels, sails or tits, it's cheaper to rent it.

And to add to Peg's engineering observation, when a project starts to become eff'd up, the last guy hired will be blamed.

One more:  Fresh coffee and pipe tobacco always smell better than they taste.

Crusader Rabbit
“I’ve lived the literal meaning of the ‘land of the free’ and ‘home of the brave.’ It’s not corny for me. I feel it in my heart. I feel it in my chest. Even at a ball game, when someone talks during the anthem or doesn’t take off his hat, it pisses me off. I’m not one to be quiet about it, either.”  Chris Kyle

tombogan03884

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2014, 07:21:14 AM »
When the pin is pulled Mr Grenade is not your friend.

It is generally inadvisable to eject over the are you just bombed.

If you attack is proceeding perfectly , you are probably walking into an ambush.

(Compliments of official US military training manuals )

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2014, 10:15:17 AM »
One "Aww Shit!"  wipes out all "atta boys".
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1110
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2014, 11:48:45 AM »
I'm familiar with a few of these Murphy's Laws of combat but haven't seen all of them before.
http://www.megazone.org/Random/murphy.shtml
http://www.military-quotes.com/murphy.htm
http://murphys-laws.com/murphy/murphy-war.html
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk