Author Topic: Barrel life should be about 2 rounds.  (Read 5286 times)

kmitch200

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
Barrel life should be about 2 rounds.
« on: December 18, 2013, 03:51:30 PM »
A 50 BMG necked down to .17 cal. 
If the barrel is long enough it should be supersonic halfway to the moon.  ;D

http://www.ammo-one.com/Wildcat50to17.html
You can say lots of bad things about pedophiles; but at least they drive slowly past schools.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
Re: Barrel life should be about 2 rounds.
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 07:31:50 PM »
Q: "Hey, what are those six little holes equally spaced around the center hole?"

A: "That would be where the rifling from the barrel went through...about a half-second after the bullet."

;D
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 08:59:10 PM »
its going to depend on the powder, there have been alot of 22, 20 and 17 wild cats.      the earsplitaloudenboomer  ( or something like that, google it)   based off a old weatherby mag case is by far my favorite bs wild cat.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

kmitch200

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 12:05:47 PM »
Q: "Hey, what are those six little holes equally spaced around the center hole?"
A: "That would be where the rifling from the barrel went through...about a half-second after the bullet."
;D

Nice!  ;D
You can say lots of bad things about pedophiles; but at least they drive slowly past schools.

mortdooley

• The U.S. Constitution poses no serious threat to our form of government..
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 09:25:35 PM »
I read about a guy by the name of Jug Johnson who corresponded with gun writer Skeeter Skelton and made a wildcat load like that one. He had a special press made and I believe he used the powder from fire crackers, I think his bullets vaporized before they reached the target.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.”

- – Voltaire

You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them.--Ray Bradbury

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 05:41:52 PM »

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2013, 10:46:36 PM »
REality is you can only drive a bullet so fast before it either comes apart of litterly melts.   every thing else is a matter of twist rate/ barrel length.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

robert69

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2013, 01:35:40 AM »
Reality, a 40 grain .22 bullet pushed out of a 28" barrel, cartridge was 22-250, custom rifle. HE got the loaded ammo from the guy he got the rifle from. My friend owned it (he had just got it in a trade about 40 yrs ago).
He took a shot at a coyote at about 100 yards, and it ran away.  He had me drop by to check out the Unertal scope to see if it was sighted in, and no holes appeared in the target, but viewing from alongside the shooter, I observed a definite smoke trail.  No idea what the velocity was, or the twist of the barrel. The bullet just burned up. The velocity had to be well above 4000fps.
I heard that the rifle was stolen from him a few years later.
I loaded my 22-250 to 3550 fps from a 24" barrel (a Rem BDL heavy barrel varmint rifle) with 35.0 grains IMR 4320, and a Sierra 53 grain bench rest bullet with a flat base.  With 36.5 grains IMR 4320, the velocity was 3710 fps, and it took me 2 hours to clean the copper from the barrel. What fun!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk