Author Topic: Wow! What a bang-up way to start a new season!  (Read 5090 times)

dgray64

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Wow! What a bang-up way to start a new season!
« on: December 29, 2010, 10:06:55 PM »
Great show today.  People are often distracted when they are on cell phones and if they are doing business, then they are miles away.  The examples shown were great.  Just take time to shut and lock the door behind you.

The only thing I didn't understand was the door reinforcement.  Was it a strip of 3/16" flat iron, or some angle iron.   Was it 3/16"?  Was it attached at the top or bottom at all, or just along the door latch facing?  It sure worked wonders with resistance to being kicked open.

The lawyer made the self defense action seem very scary. 

Keep up the great work!

Dave

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 887
Re: Wow! What a bang-up way to start a new season!
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 10:30:21 PM »
I believe it was 3/16" by 3" running top to bottom on both side jambs with screws every 12"
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

T.C. 21

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 10:43:46 PM »
Did anybody catch the name of the company that made the reinforced door frames? I looked them up but I must not have the spelling right. Thanks much

T.C.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 887
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 11:25:10 PM »
For more information on door reinforcement, contact Vaughan Construction at 303.828.2624 .

http://www.downrange.tv/blog/the-best-defense-breaking-and-entering/7837/
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

T.C. 21

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 11:38:16 PM »
Thanks m58! I can't believe I missed that!

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 01:57:17 PM »

waterdoor

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 12:43:37 AM »
Has anyone called yet about the door information?  I am building a new house and had already required my contractor to use solid core doors on all important interior rooms before I saw this episode. Now I would like to add the extra security measures shown in the door segment.

Thanks,

JC

Michael Janich

• CO-HOST ON BEST DEFENSE
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 08:41:04 AM »
Has anyone called yet about the door information?  I am building a new house and had already required my contractor to use solid core doors on all important interior rooms before I saw this episode. Now I would like to add the extra security measures shown in the door segment.

Thanks,

JC

Dear JC:

Thanks for your interest in TBD and the reinforced door concept.

Don Vaughan is a long-time friend of mine (I used to work with his wife). He has been in the door business for 25+ years and has done literally thousands of installs of high-end doors. He is also one of the most talented carpenters I’ve ever seen and he has done (and continues to do) lots of work on my home. He recently left his former employer to start his own independent business. In addition to renovations and door installations, he’s working on applying his knowledge of door reinforcement and security to specialize in safe rooms and advanced home-security applications. With a little help from some other friends, he also plans to make hardware kits—like the one shown in TBD—available for sale.

Right now, all that is still a work in progress. If you’re interested in a door reinforcement kit, Don can meet your needs and make you a custom one-off kit. If you’re in Colorado or a neighboring state, he can do a custom installation for you. Commercial, factory-made DIY kits are in the works, but he’s not there yet.

I hope this helps. Thanks for your understanding and patience.

Stay safe,

Mike

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk