Author Topic: Consider more on small .380s  (Read 6699 times)

Rugerspyderon

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Consider more on small .380s
« on: January 16, 2014, 07:14:47 PM »
More and more people are moving to small .380s. I believe TV shows and trainers should cater a considerable amount of resources that way. I have compact and full size handguns but I no longer carry them. I would just dare the 300 lb drug guy to take 7 shots from my LCP with Speer gold dot in 10 seconds or 5 from my LCR. We should not fight the movement of many to the smaller guns, we should embrace and train it.

kmitch200

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
Re: Consider more on small .380s
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 01:11:30 AM »
Who's fighting it?
Those small guns have been mentioned a lot on TBD and Shooting Gallery has done entire shows on them and training with them. They're VERY easy to carry but a bitch to shoot a lot...and like any handgun, you better shoot them a good bit to get proficient.
My wife gave up on the LCP, literally hurt her hand and the trigger blows. The LCR is a better fit for her.
You can say lots of bad things about pedophiles; but at least they drive slowly past schools.

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 10:29:28 AM »
More and more people are moving to small .380s. I believe TV shows and trainers should cater a considerable amount of resources that way. I have compact and full size handguns but I no longer carry them. I would just dare the 300 lb drug guy to take 7 shots from my LCP with Speer gold dot in 10 seconds or 5 from my LCR. We should not fight the movement of many to the smaller guns, we should embrace and train it.

While I carry two LCPs, I have to disagree with making that my only carry weapon. 

The LCPs do great until I put on something that will support a larger weapon.

True, the 300lb druggie might meet his end with 7 rounds from the LCP, but he two buddies will finish the fight for  him ...and take your LCP along with your cash and valuables.

No one plans or getting jumped by 3 druggies at once..but one might be wise not to limit one's preparations to being jumped by only one.

A larger caliber and larger capacity will improve your odds at being able to handle more challenging situations....as long as you always carry them.

From shortly after my feet touch the floor in the morning I will have my LCPs in my pockets.  And before I go out the door, even to get the paper or mail, I will have a G23 IWB.  It is little to no inconvenience to take those steps to increase the odds in my favor.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 08:06:42 PM »
While I carry two LCPs, I have to disagree with making that my only carry weapon. 

The LCPs do great until I put on something that will support a larger weapon.

True, the 300lb druggie might meet his end with 7 rounds from the LCP, but he two buddies will finish the fight for  him ...and take your LCP along with your cash and valuables.

No one plans or getting jumped by 3 druggies at once..but one might be wise not to limit one's preparations to being jumped by only one.

A larger caliber and larger capacity will improve your odds at being able to handle more challenging situations....as long as you always carry them.

From shortly after my feet touch the floor in the morning I will have my LCPs in my pockets.  And before I go out the door, even to get the paper or mail, I will have a G23 IWB.  It is little to no inconvenience to take those steps to increase the odds in my favor.

Holy cow!!!

This is twice in one day I get to just back your post up with the good old +1......  ;D  :D  :D

For what that is worth.   ;)
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Michael Janich

• CO-HOST ON BEST DEFENSE
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 08:12:56 AM »
The scenarios we do on The Best Defense have actually incorporated the use of pocket pistols quite a bit in the past few seasons. We've addressed them in a variety of circumstances, including carrying them in the home as a fight-your-way-to-your-bigger-gun immediate response weapon.

One of the challenges we faced was the fact that there are very few pocket pistol-sized airsoft guns that shoot semiauto. Since we are our own propmasters for the show, we have to get creative. I finally found the Umarex Walther PPK BB gun, which is a Co2-powered semiauto with a reciprocating slide. While bigger than many modern .380s, at least it represents the breed well in our scenarios.

Personally, I just picked up a Kahr CW380 and I'm liking it a lot...

Stay safe,

Mike

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 08:24:23 AM »

Michael Janich

• CO-HOST ON BEST DEFENSE
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 08:09:20 AM »
The garage episode that just aired included the use of a pocket pistol in the scenario and some great instruction on pocket pistol tactics from Mike Seeklander...

Stay safe,

Mike

Silver Bullet

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 10:03:49 AM »
I've always taught students to beware the cute little, 'pacifier handgun' mentality.  Carrying a pistol may make you feel safe; it might be a pleasure to carry, too; but you've always got to remember that there are PRIMARY pistols; and there are SECONDARY pistols; and there are good, proven reasons, 'Why' these terms apply. 

A body can tell himself all he likes about shooting fast, shooting accurate, and hitting the target multiple times; but that's seldom how things actually turn out in real life.  There's, also, a  huge assumption behind the small gun mentality:  You may be forced to face more than just one (convenient) opponent.  There are numerous recorded historical events of BG's taking multiple:  9mm, 40 S&W, & 45 ACP hits while remaining on their feet and continuing the fight.  I have to wonder, 'Why' push the odds even more out of your favor than they already are? 

Never forget that, in spite of all the media hype, HANDGUNS ARE LOUSY SELF-DEFENSE WEAPONS; AND SMALL HANDGUNS ARE EVEN LOUSIER SELF-DEFENSE WEAPONS.  An important decision like this should always be left until AFTER your first CQB pistol gunfight - Not before.  (Here goes my DRTV virginity!)   ;D

tombogan03884

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 02:10:32 PM »
All these "experts" that try to tell every one little pistols are no good for self defense are foolish .
Any one but a liberal or an idiot (sorry about the repetition ) can figure out that a .22 short in your pocket is far better protection than a .44 mag you left home because it's not comfortable to carry.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 887
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2014, 11:41:59 PM »
RugerSpyderon - If you watch The Best Defense and Shooting Gallery closely you will see a balance between the size, type (revolver and semi automatic), and even brand of handguns.  You will also see and hear Michale Bane talk about his LC9 a lot.  The LC9 is nothing but an LCP on steroids, and it is a lot easier to handle while still being a pocket pistol for many.

You should be thankful you joined during a time when MB is promoting the pocket pistol.  Many of us remember the era of "... like the 1911 so much I shower with it"

Silver Bullet - I am a large gun fan, and my favorite carry gun is a 1911 in .45acp.  However, life dictates much of what I do.  As tombogan said, a .22 short in your pocket is better than a .44 Magnum at home in the safe.

I advise students to try the firearms, and to choose based on ability to handle and fire accurately, reliability, availability and affordability of ammunition for both carry and practice (lots of practice), and the ability to carry and conceal.

When it comes to stopping power, none of us can carry enough firepower for the drug induced and fight or flight response that keeps some people coming.  I have read reports of 110# methheads absorbing full power large caliber loads like a sponge and keep on coming.  However, for the average defense situation I do not know anybody that is not affected by the bang of a firearm and leaking holes in their body.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk