Author Topic: 300 Blackout question  (Read 12538 times)

mauler

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: 300 Blackout question
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2012, 10:14:58 PM »
I hadn't really thought of it, but the shorter .300 case might allow the action to close enough on a 5.56 chambered rifle to get the firing pin to hit the primer.  I bet a free floating .30 caliber bullet exploding in a 5.56 chamber makes for all sorts of unpleasantness.  On a related note, I had a buddy who inadvertently loaded a .223 round into his AK 47 mag.  Yes, it fired the round, and gave a college try at ejecting the exploded case.  I love Mikhail Kalashnikov.

bafsu92

• Top Forum Member
  • Si vis Pacem, Para bellum
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2012, 11:19:02 PM »
I hadn't really thought of it, but the shorter .300 case might allow the action to close enough on a 5.56 chambered rifle to get the firing pin to hit the primer.  I bet a free floating .30 caliber bullet exploding in a 5.56 chamber makes for all sorts of unpleasantness.  On a related note, I had a buddy who inadvertently loaded a .223 round into his AK 47 mag.  Yes, it fired the round, and gave a college try at ejecting the exploded case.  I love Mikhail Kalashnikov.
No, I tested it on mine to see, close but it won't go into full battery.
Cogito, ergo armatum sum

"Capitalization is the difference between helping
your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse." - Unknown

"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional illogical liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous liberal press,which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." - Unknown

mauler

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2012, 11:52:56 PM »
No, I tested it on mine to see, close but it won't go into full battery.
Cool.  Good info to have.  I wonder how the Kaboom pic Tyler referenced happened.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2012, 01:29:31 AM »
When I get a chance I'll take some pics of what I did. I dedicated all my FDE P-Mags to 300aac. I then took some number stickers and put "300" on the bottom 3rd of all the mags. I taped off the rest so there is just a small stripe exposed about 1/4" above and below the 300 stickers. I then shot them with flat black duracoat and took off all the tape and stickers. I basically have a 1.5" black band around the bottom of the FDE P-Mags with 300 in the stripe in FDE. It looks really good and reminds me what they're for. When I shot grendel I used all Foliage P-mags for it and had a little blue "G" on those mags.
Might be better to leave a little tape on there. That way you don't screw up in the dark and have that extra tactile fail safe. Ahh, duct tape, there are so very few problems that it can't solve. ;D
FQ13

robheath

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2012, 06:07:07 PM »
Great info guys now i'm glad i asked.  When I get mine built I'll use some dummy rounds and give a full report.  I can just see the bolt jamming that 30 cal round deep enough in the case to let it go into battery.  That would suck !!
Give me liberty or I'll get my guns and get it myself.

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 10:14:30 AM »

bafsu92

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2012, 06:34:56 PM »
Cool.  Good info to have.  I wonder how the Kaboom pic Tyler referenced happened.
Maybe they were using whisper ammo or a handload that was slightly shorter. It was very close, I walked the bolt in softly since I didn't want to jam in an mess up my chamber. I guess if you let it slam and/or used the forward assist you could probably get it into battery. Plus with so many AR homebuilds out there you'd be shocked how many aren't properly headspaced. If you were off a little there and your load was off a little here it could all add up to a big crap storm.
Cogito, ergo armatum sum

"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional illogical liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous liberal press,which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." - Unknown

Magoo541

• Bryan Munson
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2012, 09:33:44 PM »
Maybe they were using whisper ammo or a handload that was slightly shorter. It was very close, I walked the bolt in softly since I didn't want to jam in an mess up my chamber. I guess if you let it slam and/or used the forward assist you could probably get it into battery. Plus with so many AR homebuilds out there you'd be shocked how many aren't properly headspaced. If you were off a little there and your load was off a little here it could all add up to a big crap storm.

I haven't built an AR-YET!, but I will partly because the headspace and timing are the things I haven't messed with since I ran the M-60 or M-249 20 years ago.  Even then all we did was check it with a GO/NO-GO gage and set it to the unit armorer if it was a NO-GO.  How do you set up the HeadSpace on an AR?
He who dares wins.  SAS

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1107
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2012, 09:41:52 PM »
Just check with go/no go gauges. The headspace isn't adjustable. A new barrel and bolt will almost always be good together. Used parts... no so much.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

bafsu92

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2012, 11:15:56 AM »
Just check with go/no go gauges. The headspace isn't adjustable. A new barrel and bolt will almost always be good together. Used parts... no so much.
Yes and no, quality parts installed properly and this is 100% correct. I've seen some new barrels that don't have the barrel extension properly installed. I've also seen new barrels and new receivers that weren't manufactured completely square or true. It doesn't take a lot to throw things off. You can use go/no go gauges to make sure everything lines up but if it doesn't they don't really tell you where the problem is. That's why you buy quality parts or from a reliable source. Say you buy a upper and barrel from someone like PSA or BCM and you have an issue, you send it to them and they will make it right.
Cogito, ergo armatum sum

robheath

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2012, 06:55:33 PM »
Yes and no, quality parts installed properly and this is 100% correct. I've seen some new barrels that don't have the barrel extension properly installed. I've also seen new barrels and new receivers that weren't manufactured completely square or true. It doesn't take a lot to throw things off. You can use go/no go gauges to make sure everything lines up but if it doesn't they don't really tell you where the problem is. That's why you buy quality parts or from a reliable source. Say you buy a upper and barrel from someone like PSA or BCM and you have an issue, you send it to them and they will make it right.

Exactly.  I've built 14 now and never had one not headspace...I have my local smith double check them ( he's a buddy of mine ) if you stick with quality parts, they are not at all hard to build.  About $100 bucks worth of tools and a little info and just about any body can build one.
Give me liberty or I'll get my guns and get it myself.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk