Author Topic: Need help finding something I read today on the web  (Read 2972 times)

RTFM

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life member 2015
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Need help finding something I read today on the web
« on: June 26, 2008, 07:01:52 PM »
With all the great news today with Helller, and all the reading I did today on the error net, I read and now can't find a good analogy of supposing the 2ns amendment with the first...

Some thing about allowing books to those that already poses an education but denying them for the general public, and keeping a well read (something or other…)

HELP I can’t find it or where I read it, anyone know where I can get it?
(I auto clear my history each time my browser closes, I already looked…)

Thanks all.

RTFM

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Re: Need help finding something I read today on the web
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 07:27:24 PM »
Need just a bit more to go on to clarify your request. Try to be as specific as possible or try Google.

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

DDMac

• Proudly Bald On
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 08:00:28 PM »
How about during the questioning of the Heller v. DC attorneys by the Justices when the arguments were made?
Mac.
Standing up for your Right to lay down suppressive fire since 1948!

brosometal

• Top Forum Member
  • Still a Grade A 1 smart donkey! DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 09:39:24 PM »
"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."

Short and sweet but not with books.  Lemee try again.

""A well-educated electorate being necessary to the preservation of a free society, the right of the people to read and compose books shall not be infringed."

This means:
A. Only well-educated voters have the right to read books.

B. The right to read books can be restricted to only those books necessary to educate an electorate

C. A limited number of books can be written so long as the author is in the State of their domicile, subject to a three day waiting periods, registration, and a one book per month reading limit.

D. People should be unimpeded in reading and composing books, so as to promote education."

Is that it?  I found it here:

http://www.youdebate.com/cgi-bin/scarecrow/topic.cgi?forum=9&topic=2505

The person who has nothing for which his is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
- J.S. Mill

RTFM

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life member 2015
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 06:44:27 AM »
brosometal  close ... thanks for the replies though.
I have some time todday to look again, if I find it I'll post it here.

Thank you

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 05:43:50 PM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 10:26:15 AM »
With all the great news today with Helller, and all the reading I did today on the error net, I read and now can't find a good analogy of supposing the 2ns amendment with the first...

Some thing about allowing books to those that already poses an education but denying them for the general public, and keeping a well read (something or other…)

HELP I can’t find it or where I read it, anyone know where I can get it?
(I auto clear my history each time my browser closes, I already looked…)

Thanks all.

RTFM

I heard something like that on Tom Greshams Guntalk  www.guntalk.tv it was on a podcast during the Time leading up to the orel arguments. but it was also posted on a thread here or also try back issues of the Shooting wire, they can be accessed from here by clicking the "Articles button at the top of the screen then going to the articles by Jim Shepard, Hope that helps.

RTFM

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life member 2015
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2008, 07:49:44 AM »
FOUND IT!!!!

brosometal  closer than I thought, but I wanted (needed) the second part also.

From Alan Gottlieb, founder of the Second Amendment Foundation.

For some reason, many people get confused with the grammar and structure of the Second Amendment's wording. They have said that the first part ("A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state . . ." restricts the second part, so that only the militia has the "right to keep and bear arms."

Try this one. "A well-educated people, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed." Now, ask them if this means that only well-educated people could keep and read books, or does it mean that everyone can have books as a means to produce a well-educated people.

Link to full article:

http://www.guntalk.com/site.php?pageID=15&newsID=41

Thanks for your assistance everyone.

RTFM

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2008, 08:57:46 AM »
I have often heard it as "A well educated electorate....." 

Then the question is "can only people qualified to vote keep and read books?"

I like this version better because the first (supporting) clause has a defined meaning as a subset of the 'people' the same as 'militia' does.
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

brosometal

• Top Forum Member
  • Still a Grade A 1 smart donkey! DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2008, 06:34:00 PM »
I like the wording you found as well.  I will be placing this in my verbal ammo box for some of the Berkley-East types in my neighborhood.  Thanks again for the clarification post :)
The person who has nothing for which his is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
- J.S. Mill

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk