Author Topic: 9mm Help  (Read 21175 times)

wisconsin

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
9mm Help
« on: February 18, 2008, 06:04:37 PM »
I'm currently in the market for a 9mm. I've mostly shot 1911's in 45 acp.There is quite a selection of this caliber out there. So at this point I'm a little confused at the offerings from these companys. Double action then single action ,decockers,Single action only etc. I want to deal with a company that is selling a quality product that I can get right out of the box. I know that this is kind of a loaded question considering the multitude of offerings out there but I value your opinions here on this forum. Not the magazine opnions because I won't get the same firearm at the counter that they get when the company knows there firearm is going to be reviewed. Ever read a bad review?? I have not!! Any help would be greatly appreciated
" I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."   John Wayne

2HOW

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
Re: 9mm Help
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 06:22:07 PM »
I dont shoot 9mm ,but I have had a Glock and would buy one again. Also I would look at Sig, H&K and CZ.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

jc451911

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 06:56:06 PM »
I agree with 2HOW, all of those pistols are great, but if you are familiar with the 1911, try some of the offerings from Springfield and Kimber, as well as the Browning Hi-Power. These may reduce any transition woes. Whatever you chose, make sure it fits you and your needs  well. Good luck!

Gunnutz13

• Forum Member
  • DoD: Peace thru Superior Firepower
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 07:15:24 PM »
I own a few 9mm's...

FN HI-POWER P35  1936   single action JMBrowning design at it's best   ( collectors item )
WALTHER P38       1939   first double action to be adopted by a military  ( collectors item )
BERETTA 9000S     2001   SA / DA combo...small easy to conceal...my wifes CCW
SIG SAUER P226    1980    DA very accurate, high capacity...conceals well under jacket
S&W M659            1985    DA 15 shot capacity good range gun...but too heavy for CCW
RUGER P-89 DC      1995   DA decocker...built like a tank...weighs as much

though the similarity ends with the caliber...each is a good example of a well made platform for the 9x19 projectile.

And come the next gun show in March, I'm looking to buy a Kel Tec PF-9...a very light, compact and CNC machined 7+1 backup piece...to replace my Kel Tec P32 as my BUG

A few ranges in PA rent guns, and if you can find a range in your area that does, my first suggestion would be to handle and shoot any brand you can get your hands on, to include friends you make a the range. Sometimes I see a member roll up with a firearm that I've never handled or shot...I make it a point to introduce myself...talk about the gun and mention I've never had a chance to check one out, and before ya know it, the guy will ask if ya want to give it a try...that's usually what I do when someone rolls up and politely asks about a weapon in my possesion. I also make it a point to ask questions at gunshops, gunshows, and forums like this to gather any user input about a certain firearm...but I also read alot...owning many firearm reference books, and own a modest collection of firearms ( 35+ ), which enable me to formulate an opinion based on lessons learned 

If I had to pick my favorite 9mm ...well, I have listed the ones I own above in order of preference.

Good Luck...let us know which you pick and why... 8)
Gunnutz13
<----------------------------------------------------->

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."
                  -- Thomas Jefferson

wisconsin

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 07:31:08 PM »
Is the FN Hi-power P35 1936 the same design that is available today. They have one for sale here a HP Practical. I heard that some of these pistols made by certain countrys are crap, any thoughs???
" I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."   John Wayne

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 01:57:43 AM »

jnevis

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 08:30:51 PM »
I have had a lot of luck with a Glock 17 and 23 (the 40 and 9 are basically the same frame) shooting IDPA and USPSA.  A lot of the guys shoot XDs and M&Ps too.  I have been shooting Beretta 92s and Sig 228 (229 with aluminum frame) for years (Navy) and love them.

The biggest question is what you plan on doing with it.  A carry gun may give you a different set of requirements than a competition gun or a plinker.  I'm looking at getting a Sig P229 or FN FNP-9 since I am looking for a DA/SA for "something different" from all the DAOs I have at home, mainly for competition and plinking.  If I was going to get a carry 9 I have been looking at a few different ones but haven't decided (anybody have suggestions?).  Leaning towards the Glock 26, Para PDA, Kahr P/K-9 or M&P9C but the Taurus PT111 looks pretty good and fits right (in the hand and budget).
When seconds mean the difference between life and death, the police will be minutes away.

You are either SOLVING the problem, or you ARE the problem.

Walter45Auto

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 08:45:51 PM »
The GLOCK's gotta be the simplest handgun to learn to operate... Well, ok.. Maybe Second to a revolver. I have a GLOCK 30 in .45 ACP. I LOVE IT! You want a gun easy to learn the controls of, I reccomend the GLOCK. I had a Ruger P85MKII 9MM that was nice. It was a DA/SA. It was easy to learn to use, But I kinda already knew how to operate it, cause I have a P90 which is the same basic gun but in .45 ACP. A friend of mine has a 9mm chambered Taurus 24/7, which he loves. But I have no real experience with it myself. Get the GLOCK. One great thing about GLOCKS is, like 1911's, The mags for the larger Glocks fit in the smaller models of the same caliber. IE, my G30 will take 13 round magazines from the full sized G21. The G26 will take the mags from a G19 and G17, etc. Get a Glock. Another thing, the Glock 17, 19, and 26 are probably the easiest gun to find holsters for. Probably Every holster made is available to fit these 3 guns.
"If You seek to do me harm, I don't care about your past." - Michael Bane

wisconsin

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 08:59:03 PM »
"jnevis" Your right a big question would be what do I plan on doing with it? As with all my 45's I use them for competion/plinking. Sounds like two extremes hey! But I like having that option. As far as carry goes I would my use my PARA LDA Black Watch Companion if this dam state of my ever passed CC. At this point everytime I shoot my 45 I see $$$$ going down range. That is why I'm looking into 9mm's. Taurus is a good fit however, a few of the guys I shoot with have a saying about Taurus" Lifetime warranty. Lifetime wait for warranty work".

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008, 09:24:22 PM »
I have fired a number of 9mm but I only own one, a Sig 2022. I've fired over 5000 rounds through it without a hitch, it's easy to break down, and reliable as can be. It's not the most concealable gun, but it's a good one.
Also fired Berettas 92S and variants. They are pretty smooth. Fired XD's and found them to be a nice handling gun in any caliber.

I fired the Springfield EMP (I think that was a 9mm)- It's a mini 1911 with good weight and surprisingly easy to handle.

I also fired an Armalite 9mm which was surprisingly accurate and smooth for an inexpensive gun.
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

tombogan03884

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2008, 01:24:32 AM »
Ever read a bad review?? I have not!!

I have, When Soldier of Fortune Magazine first reviewed the H&K  VP7 squeeze cocked pistol the last photo in the article was of the Author holding it by the barrel as he threw it over the berm !
If you are a 1911 shooter you may not like the triggers on most of the double action only pistols, Best advice is try as many as you can, I've tried Glocks and Sig's, liked both of those, Never fired  an FN hi power but it's John Brownings "other pistol" and it's been a popular choice since 1935 so how bad can it be, I have to say though I do like the Glocks and they are nearly indestuctible.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk