Author Topic: 9mm Help  (Read 21174 times)

Teresa Heilevang

• The "Other Halloway"
  • Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Don't make me call the flying monkeys! DRTV Ranger
    • The Perfect Touch
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: 9mm Help
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2008, 12:37:35 AM »
I have a PT92 stainless steel /gold 9mm Taurus. It's a beauty. I haven't shot much through it .. but I plan on taking it our on Sunday if the weather is good and run some rounds through it.
So I'll have more input about it then.
"Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History ! "

jnevis

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2008, 08:11:33 AM »
I have a personal aversion to the Sigma (SW9VE) series pistols.  I helped out part time at a range in Fl and they had a 40 and 9 Sigma when they were first introduced that we could not keep running.  From light primer strikes to the sights falling off they were back at S&W almost as much as they were in the shop.  S&W would send them back saying nothing was wrong and it would go a few rounds, maybe a mag or two, and do it again.  Lately a co-worker bought one and he can't keep the groups within a foot after about half a mag.  First few rounds are close but after that the group just keeps getting bigger.  I laughed and told him that was why they were basically GIVING them away if you bought an M&P (at the time the offer was $99 for a Sigma if you bought any M&P pistol or the AR).
When seconds mean the difference between life and death, the police will be minutes away.

You are either SOLVING the problem, or you ARE the problem.

Jkwas

• Very Active Forum Member
    • Jkwas
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2008, 02:52:42 PM »
I can only speak to what I have experience with.  I have the Ruger P89 and the Taurus PT111 mil pro.   Both of these weapons have never, I repeat, NEVER, malfunctioned with over 1000 rounds thru each.  The Ruger is a great house/range gun but not for CCW IMO.  The Taurus is a great firearm though some would find that hard to believe ::) The trigger is light, the slide racks very easily, and it has a double captive recoil spring that makes for a very light recoil.  It also has an advantage that many other pistols in it's class don't:  A manual safety.  You might want to look at the Taurus Millenium or 24/7 compact.  They are good inexpensive guns.
Now, that's what I know about.  If I had  do-over, I would look real hard at that  S&W  M&P 9mm compact.  I haven't shot one, but I have handled one and I liked the feel and trigger a lot.  I like a manual safety, but it's not as important to me now as a feature as it once was.   The S&W warranty and customer service also strongly influences me.

texcaliber

• Top Forum Member
  • "My best friends are Smith & Wesson"
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2008, 04:37:44 PM »
I have a personal aversion to the Sigma (SW9VE) series pistols.  I helped out part time at a range in Fl and they had a 40 and 9 Sigma when they were first introduced that we could not keep running.  From light primer strikes to the sights falling off they were back at S&W almost as much as they were in the shop.  S&W would send them back saying nothing was wrong and it would go a few rounds, maybe a mag or two, and do it again.  Lately a co-worker bought one and he can't keep the groups within a foot after about half a mag.  First few rounds are close but after that the group just keeps getting bigger.  I laughed and told him that was why they were basically GIVING them away if you bought an M&P (at the time the offer was $99 for a Sigma if you bought any M&P pistol or the AR).

The opinion adage comes to mind. At the shop i am at the only reason sights(the front) comes off is using the wrong holster. As to your co-workers gun...... put it in someone's hand that can shoot. At 7yds. there is not a problem touching 5 shots and at 50yds. pepper popper fall easy. As to your poor experience with the customer service at S&W i got to say that you were either not involved enough or being told a story because never and I MEAN !NEVER! has their service been rude or unhelpful. Which is why they are #1 rated in the biz.
But if your looking for an opinion spend a little more and get the M&P. I very much like the 5" coming this year. ;) And the reason for the $99 deal is if you a going to buy a great AR(M&P15) you should have a great pistol to go with it  ;D

You got to luv them opinions.........

And by-the-by howdy Haz and to all the rest.
"All I need in life is Love and a .45!"

wisconsin

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA member
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2008, 04:53:31 PM »
I want to thank everyone for their help and opinions on the 9mm's. I've settled on 3 models. Since I'm a 1911 man and can't afford a 1911 style 9mm I'll have to go to polymer. The Browning Hi Power was my first choice but I can't find any here to shoot.So then its a toss up between the S&W M&P, and the Springfield XD, both in 4".  With promotions now running on mags etc. both are a good value and good companys. I shot both and like both. The XD comes right on target no problem. The M&P is only slightly different. So then I asked a dozen or so seasoned shooters this question? If both pistol were in front of you and you could only take one for free which one would you run out the door with?? Well you guessed it the answer didn't favor one over the other. So I'll have this weekend to figure it out. Once again :) THANKS TOO ALL FOR YOUR VALUED OPINIONS :)
" I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."   John Wayne

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 01:24:41 AM »

texcaliber

• Top Forum Member
  • "My best friends are Smith & Wesson"
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2008, 04:58:31 PM »
I am a S&W fan but I would have a really hard time picking one over the other for Free. I really believe that M&P , Glock , and Springfield are tied for 1st place.

Good luck man.
"All I need in life is Love and a .45!"

Dougdubya

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2008, 06:43:39 PM »
Wisconsin - you said it yourself - the XD goes right on target for you, the M&P less so.

From your experience, the XD is your baby.  (I like the XD alot when I shot it.)

RGJOHNS

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2008, 06:21:28 PM »
"jnevis" Your right a big question would be what do I plan on doing with it? As with all my 45's I use them for competion/plinking. Sounds like two extremes hey! But I like having that option. As far as carry goes I would my use my PARA LDA Black Watch Companion if this dam state of my ever passed CC. At this point everytime I shoot my 45 I see $$$$ going down range. That is why I'm looking into 9mm's. Taurus is a good fit however, a few of the guys I shoot with have a saying about Taurus" Lifetime warranty. Lifetime wait for warranty work".
I will agree to most of this statement above. I do have a 24/7 in 45 have not had a problem with it ever. So I can't judge Taurus's warrenty work I also have a 38 by them and the same with that one.  but I am looking into the para carry 9 with the light double action trigger. i do have a Glock 19 which is a good gun easy take down , easy to use. I have a sig in 9mm same thing,  easy take down , easy to use. but your back to what will the gun be used for. there is my two cents. RGJ.

gunman1911

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger Emeritus
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2008, 06:47:37 PM »
 I have a buddy of mine hat has a H&K P9  that is amazing he was once useing it in a match when the extractor and the ejector broke and the gun kept on running! Now thats what I call quality And H&K fixed it for free and it took less than a week turn around time. If he ever sells it he better know to ask me first! And by the way he won a Glock with it and guess what he carryes his H&K and wants to sell the Glock! And I do not blame him.
Back up guns---Better to have and not need than to need and not have!

Ichiban

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2008, 08:24:20 PM »
Well, if it's not too late to add my two cents worth - Para Carry 9.  Dandy little carry gun with 1911 ergonomics and controls and that nice LDA action.  I find its three inch barrel to be as accurate as any of my full size ones.  As much as I'd like to, I can't blame my bad shots on the gun.  It is pricey but when I'm talking about my own hide I tend to be a little less frugal with the funding.  I currently have it at Para taking advantage of their $99.00 night sight upgrade.  And man, do I feel nekid without.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk